• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Taste Test Review Pass

When my 2nd review gets posted, my additional guess is that it might also be a Sherpa... :D

Review Cigar #14 - vewyphishy

CPUserName: vewyphishy
CigarNumber: 14

La Finca Churchill Tubes 7.00x48 $2.70

Appearance: Good.

Appearance Notes
The cap had chipped a little and also put on very sloppily. The wrapper is also a little chipped. It had some serious veins running through it. The color is nice... reminds me of a cameroon wrapper (Ashton Heritage comes to mind). The smell was pungent... like armpit after a hot summer day without deodorant.

Construction: Fair

Construction Notes
Tightly packed all the way through. The ash was flaky, and had streaks of black/dark gray. Didn't burn cleanly. Seemed like it just wanted to get the smoking over with.

Burn: Uneven
Problems: Runners
AshColor: Dark Grey
AshStructure: Typical
Draw: Tight
Aroma: Rank!
Smoked_To: Less than Half Smoked
Strength: Medium
Recommended: No
Scale: Blah...
Class: Regular

TasteNotes
Blah. Too busy avoiding the smell to really pay attention to the taste. Actually, the taste wasn't all that bad. Rather one-dimensional. The tight draw prevented a full analysis of the taste spectrum. Definitely wasn't repulsive.

OverallNotes
If it didn't stink so much, I think this might've actually been a tolerable cigar. I want to think that this was a better cigar than I figured it to be, but I'm guessing it's a regular cigar. Price range of $3 to $4. In terms of brand... I couldn't even being to guess, but I'll try. Montesino? Montecruz? Don Tomas? Don something? Shoot me if it's something a lot better.

The Manufacturer Said: This all-Nicaraguan puro has been handcrafted since 1972 in Esteli, Nicaragua. Medium in body with a nutty, naturally sweet flavor, this cigar is well-balanced in flavor. Paired with its economical prices, this has become Nicaragua's largest-selling brand.

What SD Said: Just say no to La Finca's! :D

SD_Stack said:
OverallNotes
If it didn't stink so much, I think this might've actually been a tolerable cigar.
They don't call 'em La Stinka's for nuttin' :)

Posted my second review, can't wait to find out what it was. Thanks for letting me play SD. This had been cool. I think we should do this more often. Maybe take turns sending people cigars. Not on the same scale perhaps.

Thanks again SD.

ricmac25 said:
Not on the same scale perhaps.
Help me understand... ???

What did you do go to the cigar store and check all the cigars to see if you could find out what it was? :angry: :sneaky:

Very Sneaky Bro. That's cheating! You're gonna get a spankin'! :p

What I meant by the same scale was instead of each of us sending cigars to 20 people, maybe we can take turns sending out to about 5 people. Something along those lines.

What did you do go to the cigar store and check all the cigars to see if you could find out what it was?

Nah, it's Tuesday, which means cigar shop day, ask Gator. Actually didn't walk around the shop. Gator thought it was a Joya de Nicaragua as soon as he smelled it, owners thought it was a Punch. My tastebuds suck. It just seemed like it had a little oomph to it.

You're gonna get a spankin'!

As for the spankin, ask Gator, he's into that! :0

I am really enjoying reading these reviews!

Kudos to SD Stack and and the review participants.

:)

Thanks for letting me participate in this. I wish I was a little better at reviewing but I gave it my best. Thanks again.

ricmac25 said:
I think we should do this more often. Maybe take turns sending people cigars. Not on the same scale perhaps.
Now that's a good idea.

I've enjoyed this myself. This should possibly be a forum in and of itself. I'd be happy to handle the next one if I'm not stepping on any toes.

So as to not distract from this thread, please, do not respond here. If no one objects I will inventory some cigars and start another post after this one winds down. :)

Yes, this has been and IS fun. Kindof funny to see what would be considered a good smoke get a Blah in a Blind review, and some that many wouldn't even try got Good Reviews (the GPECC for instance).

This was a great idea Steve, thank you much for doing it, and to Kenny for stepping up for another round. :thumbs:

Agreed. This has been a very interesting experience.

Along the same lines as what Kenny said, maybe we can pool together some cigars and get to blind taste test some higher end stuff, domestics and ISOMs. Obviously, if one person runs the show (unless they have a crazy stash), the cost of doing high quality sticks is probably too much. Perhaps something can be devised to where this can be done.

It would be interesting to see what a person would say about a RASS if they didn't know thats what they were smoking. Or maybe a Siglo VI. Or a Between the Lines.

Okay, only joking about the last one. :p

Suits me Kenny. :) I'll play.

There are several good sticks still floating around out there yet to be reviewed. I have three they I need to get up now.

I'd love to play again! And I'd be more than willing to host one too :thumbs:

I don't know how to do the web based forms like Steve did, but I see no reason why you couldn't submit your reviews via email? ???

I've got a few high end sticks that I would contribute to that sort of pass. :thumbs:

I too would be willing to take a turn contributing the cigars (40-60 -- whatever is needed) for an upcoming blind review pass.

This is probably one of the most useful/interesting things I've seen in a long time.

moki said:
This is probably one of the most useful/interesting things I've seen in a long time.
If you think it's been useful so far... wait until I get the next three posted! :0

Review Cigar #12 - Triple_D

CPUserName: Triple_D
CigarNumber: 12

Don Diego Figurado $3.00

Appearance: Outstanding

Appearance Notes
Beautiful roll. Awesome smell.

Construction: Outstanding

Construction Notes
Burned straight as can be. No runs or any other burn problems. The ash did not hold firm would be the only downfall if that is one?

Burn: Very Even
Problems: None Found
AshColor: White
AshStructure: Flakey
Draw: Perfect
Aroma: Good
Smoked_To: I Burned my Fingers!
Strength: Medium
Recommended: Yes
Scale: Good Cigar
Class: Low End ISOM

TasteNotes
The cigar started off very mild and developed into a medium bodied smoke. Taste was nice. The more I smoked of it the better it got. As far as hints of this and that, well I can't really put my finger on it except for the fact that it was a good smoke

OverallNotes
The initial smell and look of this cigar was great. Smoking the cigar was a pleasure and the aftertaste is good as well. I would say this is a mid range ISOM but you don't have a catergory for that so I'm putting low end isom.

The Manufacturer Said: A classic Dominican cigar with a silky-smooth, almond-colored Connecticut Shade wrapper. Beautifully handrolled, these cigars have a creamy flavor that never bites, and a subtle finish with no aftertaste. An excellent cigar for those who prefer a milder smoking experience.

What SD Said: There is another review of this cigar Here by Psyktek. They both said it may be a low end ISOM. I'm gonna have to try one.