• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Gold Medal

drew_goring

Big Bad Mother F*cker!
I had one at my local a while back and really enjoyed it. Firm draw, but I expect that to open up with some box time. I decided to make the plunge and pick up a box. The first one I smoked last weekend after giving them some time to stabilize was kind of a disapointment. The nice Bolivar flavor that I remember from the first, but even tighter. I tried to massage it out, but couldn't, and could actually feel a stem running about half the length of the cigar under the wrapper from the cap towards the foot. I got about 3/4 of the way through the stick and the draw wasn't improving, and it was starting to get a bit sour from the puffing I had been doing on it. I put it out and cut it open to see a toothpick sized stem in the binder. I think I saved it, and will try to get a picture if I can find it.

Here's for hoping the rest of the box isn't the same. I guess I will find out in 6 months or so when I revisit them. They really do have potential though. I am really liking the flavor.

Anyone else having QC issues with the Gold Medals?

I had the same issues with the one I smoked on Saturday. Such a tight draw that I just gave up on it and chucked it.

I've smoked 5 of these and only one had a tight draw. Like you, I'm loving the flavor and they're easily my favorite new smokes over the past year.

I have gone through several now and all were great sticks. I had heard that some of the late 2006 sticks were hit and miss. When were yours produced?

I was not as impressed with the B-Gold. It has a high sticker price to start, and when you have a bad one or two (draw) cigars with that kind of price you expect better. The flavor was very nice along with the over all look at the cigar. I will let mine sit for quite some time before I try another.

I have gone through several now and all were great sticks. I had heard that some of the late 2006 sticks were hit and miss. When were yours produced?

Well big D than just bring yours to Vegas and Hell, we will just see. LOL :whistling:

Well big D than just bring yours to Vegas and Hell, we will just see. LOL :whistling:

Shit I may have to hawk the rest of mine to be able to afford hanging with you in Vegas again!

I've smoked 5 of these and only one had a tight draw. Like you, I'm loving the flavor and they're easily my favorite new smokes over the past year.

About the same with me. I've smoked half-a-dozen and perfect construction. Great cigar!

I've had three from January and all have drawn well, they definately need some time though, I think I'll give my box a year or so as they're from June. Hope you have better luck with them.

John

They're hand rolled. It happens.

Of the ones I've smoked...I think I've had to tank 1....and port and polish another....

That's out of at least 20...10% margin for error....not too bad.

Sam gifted me one (thanks Sam) and I subsequently bought 20.

The one Sam sent me was great, very flavorful for a young smoke and hence my purchase of more.

Brian

They're hand rolled. It happens.

Of the ones I've smoked...I think I've had to tank 1....and port and polish another....

That's out of at least 20...10% margin for error....not too bad.

There's actually been a number of reports about the new Gold Medals having tough draws, which obviously concerned me since I was planning on getting some. Cigar Aficionado actually made a note in their review a few months ago stating that the draw was tight.

It would be great if we could figure out if the tight draws are from early, late, mixed, and/or certain factory box codes.

I have had a few from a POS NOV06 box and haven't had any problems at all. Great smoke, but I question whether these will ever be on the level of the Wolters release.

My December 06 box has drawn perfectly with a slight firm bias. My mid 07 boxes have tended to be firm.

Wilkey

I've had one from an 07 box, and it also had a tight draw. I plan on letting both of my boxes rest before trying any others.

So! Do we conclude that a little time is needed for them to settle (bind) or, do you think the 07 was rolled by someone without fingers? ???

BTW Sam, was that stick an 06?

Brian

So! Do we conclude that a little time is needed for them to settle (bind) or, do you think the 07 was rolled by someone without fingers? ???

Brian

That stick was an 07. I've had a couple of 06s and several 07s and I've only encountered tight draw once, it was the 07. I think the box code was JUL07.

Brian

That stick was an 07. I've had a couple of 06s and several 07s and I've only encountered tight draw once, it was the 07. I think the box code was JUL07.
Thanks Sam, the two boxes I got in are both Jul07...I guess it may be a hit and miss!

Brian