• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Petit Corona

JLAudio

Mareva, Lancero, and Minuto Whore!
One of my favorite go-to smokes is the BPC...I love the size, the strength, the flavor profile, it's consistency....and the price. Its definitely my favorite PC and PC's happen to be my favorite size right now...as its the easiest to smoke during my day.

I've researched a lot on this, but I wanted some fresh input...

I've smoked around 50 BPC's now, and all have been from boxes of 25. Also, all are really young...both boxes from 07. I've always wanted to buy a CAB but I've read its a different blend from the boxed version. I've heard it's slightly stronger and it is not box pressed as well...I also see more people prefer the CABs over boxes of the BPC's usually, and I don't really know why? Besides from the aging aspect in CABS.

With this, does anyone have experience smoking a decent amount of both of these relatively recently? Which do you prefer and why?

And no, I'm not planning on aging them (because I know its much better to age the CAB)...I just plan on having them as my everyday smoke in the car. Also, the CABS of 50 are fairly cheaper than 2 boxes of 25, which is obviously better.

Thanks a lot
-Jason

Jason,

I prefer the cabs but they are the same cigar just different packaging. I also prefer cabs because the cabs are not box pressed, cost less per cigar, and well 50 cigars is better than 25 right? Also, Bolivar is one marca that really does benefit from age. I would suggest you buy a cab and let it set for a minimum of three years and you'll see what I mean. Good Luck, ML

I've kind of been on a "study", if you will, about this right now. I have been doing side-by-side tastings of cigars from a dress box, and then from a cab to see how much of an effect packaging can have on a cigar. It's really interesting to me how you can make a couple of seemingly minor changes to a cigar's packaging(e.g- putting them in cedar instead of a paper dress, or simply not 'pressing' the cigar...), and, in some cases, radically change the flavor profile of the cigar. I will post a thread at a later time... *sorry for the momentary thread jack*

Stephen

JLAudio

also my most smoked cigar...i have maybe 5 or 6 cabs aging and 5 or 6 dress boxes aging...have smoked lots and lots of em.

as to smoking them young i cant comment(i just never have smoked boli pc's with less than 5 years)...so i really cant add much to this thread(sorry)...its just so hard not to comment on a boli pc thread.

derrek :laugh:

JLAudio

also my most smoked cigar...i have maybe 5 or 6 cabs aging and 5 or 6 dress boxes aging...have smoked lots and lots of em.

as to smoking them young i cant comment(i just never have smoked boli pc's with less than 5 years)...so i really cant add much to this thread(sorry)...its just so hard not to comment on a boli pc thread.

Derrek,

Can you say "Bolivar Whore?" :laugh:

But seriously. I was wondering if you have any observations regarding comparative rates of draw problems in the dressed boxes versus the cabs. In my rather more modest experience, the rate seems to be not different between the two packaging.

Wilkey

JLAudio

Are there any construction differences? Flavor differences? Draw?
What makes you buy both dress boxed and cabs?

Absolutely my favorite PC. I just finished a box of 05's and am now into a box of 03's, which are box pressed. Every one from this box is very underfilled (feels like a feather in the hand). Having to make really slow, short draws on some due to the extremely loose draw, however there have been some plugged that smoke perfectly. Ever been glad to have a plugged smoke? :D Has anyone else found boxes of box pressed underfilled/loose draws from 03 (or other years)?

One of my favorite cigars to date was an '80s Boli PC from a dress box. Boy was it a firecracker! We can only dream of the day that blends contain the potency they once had prior to the early/mid '90s. Some say it's occurring as we type, but the aged tobacco being used today somewhat changes ones perception of the the initial strength (and perhaps aging potential) of recent production cigars.

I won't act as an authority on the subject, but I prefer 50 cabinets because of the increased aging potential. I haven't smoked enough of this cigar to comment specifically on whether the draw changes between a dress box and cabinet, but I generally enjoy cabinet cigars over their dress box brethren.

My understanding is that the cigars are the same blend. There is some belief that aging cigars in the cabinets is better than in a dress box, at least that is the word according to Min..... I've got a cabinet sitting and we will see how they turn out.

Wilkey JLAudio

Can you say "Bolivar Whore?" ...unashamedly :whistling:

i have never found much difference mechanically between db's and cabinets...never had a plugged one and never had a lot from cab or box that burned poorly.always a well constructed cigar in both presentations.

Flavor differences...there are always differences from box to box and year to year...but i have always found them to be unmistakably bolivar and the right size cigar for me.

cabinets of 50 are not that easy to find in cuba.

when i am in cuba...i look for cabinets of party shorts , boli pc's and plpc's...if they are on the shelves i get em...but i dont get dress boxes.

mules(non smoking friends who are happy to bring cigars back for me)that go to cuba have a long shopping list from me...top of the list is the 3 cabinets i mentioned...then the rest are dress boxes starting with (you guessed it)boli pc's and party shorts.just happens i have got quite a few boxes of 25 of both the party's and boli's.

hope this answers your questions
derrek :whistling:

Jason -

Wish I could give you a comparison, but all I have ever had is from a Cab I split with a friend. They're now a little over 2 years old, and I've slowly been working my way through them, getting better all the time. Unfortunately, there's only a couple left.

Tell ya what... PM me your address, I'll send you one, and you can do the taste test yourself.

Jason -

Wish I could give you a comparison, but all I have ever had is from a Cab I split with a friend. They're now a little over 2 years old, and I've slowly been working my way through them, getting better all the time. Unfortunately, there's only a couple left.

Tell ya what... PM me your address, I'll send you one, and you can do the taste test yourself.

That is a very nice touch great job.

Best Regards
Don

Obviously I just wanna say thanks tomthirtysix!! :thumbs: I appreciate it!
Look for something really soon coming your way...something on your "wish list" ;)

Completely unnecessary, Jason. I'm just paying forward the generosity I've been shown in my year and a half here. But, if that's the way you want to play... :whistling:

In my limited experience from a box and a cab there was no discernable difference.

Great cigar, and to me the most consistent cigar from the island, in my tasting experiences. I went through 2 boxes of '04's and have half left on an '07 and they are great! I do agree with the statements about getting some age on them, but it's just so hard not to grab one, you just know what it's gonna give you in terms of flavor and construction. :D

Gotta love the Boli PC's and the '07 RC's aren't bad either!! :whistling:

Completely unnecessary, Jason. I'm just paying forward the generosity I've been shown in my year and a half here. But, if that's the way you want to play... :whistling:

So I was casually walking by my mailbox and then...............................BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!! I got blasted by a roadside bomb!!!!!

Even though I was expecting a package, I was not prepared for this. It was VERY MUCH SO over the top...just AMAZING! I literally had to rub my eyes a few times because I didn't believe what I was looking at.

Long story short......My wishlist just got smaller....and smaller....and smaller! Played very well Tomthirtysix!

I'm very lucky! It must be that you were too along the way on CC! So I guess I wanna say thanks to Tomthirtysix AND to all of the great folks who put Tomthirtysix in such a great mood on here!!!!

CP REPRESENTS!

-Jason