• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bombing/gifting etiquette -- my take

Have to agree with most of what's been said.

I always note a received bomb and try to PIF when I am able to. The people on my "list" will get hit at some point with a return package, but it will probably be after they've forgotten they even sent me anything! :laugh:

I don't expect anything. I don't even expect a thank you. I appreciate it, but actually just prefer a PM so I know they got it OK.

A gift is a gift and the joy is in sharing and giving. If you want something in return post the contents of the package you can send and ask for a trade.

If it wasn't obvious from Andrew's post, I subscribe to the same philosophy. In his case, it was two-ish years before I found and acquired something I thought appropriate. That said, I love to give gifts, send bombs, etc. Sometimes I'll browse the wishlists after I make a purchase just to see if anyone has listed something I may have bought some extras of, so I can send it to them. The joy is in the giving and a Bomb/Gift is just that with no expectation (or desire) for reciprocity. Actually, for as much as I love giving, I hate receiving. Seems like it might be a weird combination, but that's me.

I also concure with Rob, in that the contents of a bomb/gift should not be disclosed in public, even if the recognition is given publicly (which is also not required).

As far as pass it forward is concerned, I'm of the opinion that no chance to help someone should be passed by. I've met too many people with the attitude "Why should I help them, nobody's ever helped me..." and though I know that isn't the intent of PIF, there are people waiting to be given to before they give. I guess what I'm saying is that I love giving so much, it's not paying it forward because I don't feel a need to receive before I give to others. Also, receiving a bomb/gift doen't increase the desire to give, because it is always there; whether it is helping someone at work, a stranger on the road or sending a gift to a cyber-friend just because I can.

My 200 Won.

-K-

oh... wait... I left Korea didn't I.... guess I'm back to cents since I'm in the US now.

I think that this thread is a good candidate to be pinned or maybe be part of a section for new members.

Most newbie aren’t sure how to handle bombs; do I retaliate, post contents, thank publicly or privately.
This thread is a very good guideline.

I agree with everything I have read here. A bomb is a gift and you should not expect anything in return. I enjoy bombing new guys with stuff they have never tried before and friends with cigars that I know they will like. It’s fun. I encourage the new guys to PIF and bomb someone. It brings a smile to their face and yours.

I've only been here for about a week and have been bombed already!!! It make you feel welcome (especially when you're getting abused, deservedly, on the forums :laugh: ) Anyway, that being said, I know my bomber did it because he wanted to, not expecting anything in return, but I still can't wait until I come across something I know he will like to send his way, to me it's a sign of appreciation. I'm glad I read this post so I now feel ok with waiting until I find the perfect thing, and I'm setting my sights on someone to bomb myself.

Unless I'm sending something out in a trade, I don't "expect" anything in return. A public thank you isn't necessary as well but a personal note of thanks is always welcome.

:cool:

So other than the fact that I am a Newbie who has been here about a month, what does a guy have to do to get bombed around here? J.K. :laugh: . Thanks to Andrew and the rest of you for the insight on this thread, one question that I have asked my self what constitutes a Firecracker, Hand Grenade, or a Bomb? Is it just the same thing and different references, or the quantity of what is gifted?

Thanks again,
Adrian

When Moki sends you a bomb it takes 6 months to recover. So this is not about
waiting for the right time, but rather, it's about allowing your body to mend before
you can think straight :laugh:

MMMM - maybe it's time to send out an attack, 2007 is here, thanks for the reminder.

Oh, very good post Andrew!

Brian

I like to do things out of the kindness of my heart and being so, I expect nothing in return. None of my friends smoke cigars regularly, so it's nice to be able to share a smoke(especially one I really like) with people who share my interest. That's what I like about this site, the opportunity to finally share my love with others.

Mike

Thanks for the thread Moki. Like junkman said, it's good reading for newbs like me. I think some stuff like this should be pinned, so us newbs can get a better understanding of the goings on around here, and get opinions from different FOGs about CP traditions.

If you expect something in return, reconsider your thought to bomb someone. What you should expect, but be prepared to ot even recieve it, is a thanks. Provate would be better, IMHO.

An excellent post, Moki.

One thing I always try to do is label bombs with who sent them to me. Months later, when I get around to smoking the bombed cigars, I try to remember to send the bomber a PM thanking them (again) for the smoke and usually offering some observations about the smoke. A "mini review" as it were. That always seems appreciated.... :cool:

Cheers, gents - B.B.S.