• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Books

bryan_h

FOG bryanh, Original member #427!
Im looking for suggestions on good books about cigars. Preferably hardback. Something that I can set on the coffee table or something like that. Im going to get the book by MRN(anybody know where i can get it cheap), but if you know of any others I'd appreciate it.
Bryan :thumbs:

Finding the MRN book is darn near impossible at this point :( They only printed a cerain amount and I don't know if there are plans to print anymore. I think cgarsltd had some a while ago. Check them out to see ;)

Anything that has to do with cigars is what im looking for. History, books about the factories, possibly even books about Cuba and its cigars. There has to be some out there somewhere. Thanks coventrycat86 cgarsltd has several books.
Bryan :thumbs:

Check out Ebay. There are ususally a few cigar books up for auction for decent prices.

This is a good book.

The Havana Cigar Cuba's Finest

By Charles Del Todesco.

you can get it at BN.com

coventrycat86 said:
Finding the MRN book is darn near impossible at this point :( They only printed a cerain amount and I don't know if there are plans to print anymore. I think cgarsltd had some a while ago. Check them out to see ;)
I got mine from Cgarsltd a few weeks back. So they may still have MRN. NOT cheap. :( But, indispensable.

I've got it on my coffee table, though it's not the most attractive cover out there. looks like it was published by the Government Printing Office.

If you want the MRN book try PMing Ron, screen name UCMBA, great guy.
He sold a bunch of them a couple of months back.
Not sure if he has any left but wouldn't hurt to ask. :)

I got mine from Cgarsltd a few weeks back. So they may still have MRN. NOT cheap.  But, indispensable.

I've got it on my coffee table, though it's not the most attractive cover out there. looks like it was published by the Government Printing Office.

Excellent points joxxy :thumbs: I know what ya mean about "not the most attractive" BUT beauty in in the eyes of the beholder as they say ;)

If you want the MRN book try PMing Ron, screen name UCMBA, great guy.
He sold a bunch of them a couple of months back.
Not sure if he has any left but wouldn't hurt to ask. 
He has/had a thread on CW about this and about a month ago he posted that he is sold out :(

Jump on the cgarsltd deal ASAP before they're all gone ;)

BTW, who started this thread, newbie bryan_h or FOG bryanh :D

A few books that are in my library that I've found enjoyable are as follows:

Holy Smoke: A Literary Romp Through The History of The Cigar (Guillermo Cabrera Infante)

Havana Cigars 1817-1960 (Enzo A. Infante)

Cuban Cigar Tobacco (Eumelio Espino Marrero)

Habanos - The Story of The Havana Cigar (Nancy Stout)

Cigar Family - A 100 Year Journey In The Cigar Industry (James Miller, Stanford Newman)

The Havana Cigar - Cuba's Finest(Charles Del Todesco)

Old-Time Cigar Labels In Full Color (Carol Grafton)

Cigar Box Lables - Portraits of Life, Mirrors of History (Jerry Petrone)

Tampa Cigar Workers - A Pictorial History (Robert P. Ingalls)

The Cigar (Barnaby Conrad)

The Art of The Smoke - A Pictorial History of Cigar Box Labels (Jero Gardner)

The Journey of The Cuban Cigar (Antonio Jimenez)

There are many, many others. Marvin Shanken of CA has put out some good compendiums along the way too, but those are more eye-candy and coffee-table type books than anything substantive.

Hope this helped a little.

The MRN is expensive, but worth it.
[of course I got mine months ago when they were a lot cheaper]

Another good one:
The Idiot's Guide to Cigars [a better book than it sounds]

also:
Cigar Aficionado's World of the Cigar [pretty cheap on EBay and tons of great pics]

:thumbs:

Trust me - you'll want MRN's book ;)

Got mine a couple months ago and I still look at it and read it regularly. :thumbs:

Sam