• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Breaking it In

Pompous Pugs

Like I said (in my introduction) I got a decent 150 cigar humidor for Christmas.

Cedar interior, no finish

I went to the local cigar shop to get advice on how to break it. So yesterday I put in a sponge and the humdifier (the black thing with green stuff inside it) with distilled water, and watched the humidity shoot up to 92% (made me feel like I was back down south).

I took out the sponge and the humdification device and it dropped down to a 75. Later, I put the h.d. back in and the humidity steady around 75% for the night.

The store wanted me to use the sponge for a week, but won't that cause the humidity to be way too high--or does a new box need to be broken in like that?

I would appreciate dummyproof humidor advice.

Get Viper's beads. There're dummy proof, not however Bill Clinton proof.

Doc.

The purpose of breaking in a humidor is to get the cedar inside it to the humidity level you want. Your hygrometer is measuring the humidity in the air, which will fluctuate greatly. If you took out the sponge now, you would probably see the humidity go down too low as the cedar continued to absorb all the moisture in the air. Also, your hygrometer is probably not accurate.

Leave the sponge in there for a couple more days. While you're waiting, order a four ounce tube of beads from heartfeltindustries.com. They will save you a lot of hassle down the road in this hobby.

In regards to the hygrometer's accuracy: I did the "salt test," that the instructions recommended...got a 74% reading (was supposed to get a 72% right?).

Pompous Pugs said:
Like I said (in my introduction) I got a decent 150 cigar humidor for Christmas.

Cedar interior, no finish

I went to the local cigar shop to get advice on how to break it. So yesterday I put in a sponge and the humdifier (the black thing with green stuff inside it) with distilled water, and watched the humidity shoot up to 92% (made me feel like I was back down south).

I took out the sponge and the humdification device and it dropped down to a 75. Later, I put the h.d. back in and the humidity steady around 75% for the night.

The store wanted me to use the sponge for a week, but won't that cause the humidity to be way too high--or does a new box need to be broken in like that?

I would appreciate dummyproof humidor advice.
[snapback]267924[/snapback]​

I found this website gave some good instructions on breaking in the humidor when I first did mine: Humidor guide

Ive always just tossed a handfull of cigars in and put some beads inside...always settled to 65-67 within a day or so.

If you order the beads, don't order the tubes. Order the beads with the drawstring mesh bags instead. The tubes have red end caps which emit a plastic odor to them that will smell up the inside of your humidor. Currently, Viper is correcting this problem by replacing the soft material red end caps with black hard plastic end caps which have no odor to them. If you buy the beads, get the mesh drawstring mesh bags. They have no odor.

After breaking in two humis, the one thing in common is that it takes time. You'll think you've got it and then the RH goes bozo as the lining and seal are getting through their expand and absorb routine. I'd run it "wet" with the humidifier and the sponge (not on the wood, I'm hoping) and let it run high for a few days....to fully hydrate all the wooden surfaces. Patience will get you the stable environment you are looking for....but a week doesn't sound too long to me.

The advice on the beads is sound. I've never had the "plastic odor" issue mentioned (and I have three tubes with the evil "red" caps) but it's neither here nor there; 65% beads are the way to go for long term RH stability. In addition to the tubes I have some in a plastic bowl (in the cooler) and some in a plastic soap container that I cut the lid out of and drilled full of holes. They are the best there is, and Viper's customer service is flawless.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

bfreebern said:
Just use panty hose like I do. Of course, put the beads in the panty hose.
[snapback]267987[/snapback]​
TB I thought you just liked pantyhose :thumbs:

The beads will do the trick. I have the tubes with the red end caps and do not have the problem Bill Clinton has. My humi smells like horse manure.

Let us know in a few days how your humi is. Do yourself a favor and don't open the humi for a few days.

Good luck with your new hobby, it's addicting.

Bill Clinton said:
If you order the beads, don't order the tubes. Order the beads with the drawstring mesh bags instead. The tubes have red end caps which emit a plastic odor to them that will smell up the inside of your humidor.
[snapback]267978[/snapback]​

Careful with your wording there....

As far as i can tell, your the ONLY one whos had this issue with his tubes. :rolleyes:

Jeffro600 said:
Bill Clinton said:
If you order the beads, don't order the tubes. Order the beads with the drawstring mesh bags instead. The tubes have red end caps which emit a plastic odor to them that will smell up the inside of your humidor.

As far as i can tell, your the ONLY one whos had this issue with his tubes. :rolleyes:
[snapback]268062[/snapback]​

I don't know why your end caps don't have the plastic odor, but mine really did emit a plastic odor. Maybe yours were from a different batch when they were originally manufactured? I am NOT the only person in here who experienced the end cap odor problem. I already spoke to a few people in this forum and in another cigar forum who are having the same exact end cap odor problem that I had and some of their cigars were affected by it. They told me that the odor from the end caps penetrated some of their cigars and that their cigars tasted bad because of this and they had to throw them away. They are not using the humi tubes anymore because of this. So, if you are going to use the beads, put them in pantyhose or into the drawstring mesh bags that Viper supplies.

bfreebern said:

A tiara AND panty hose? As long as both of your beads are comfortable, I guess there's nothing wrong with that. :whistling: :D

bfreebern said:
Just make sure you put your beads in fresh, new panty hose from the store, not after you've used them like freebern does. :D

JK

bfreebern said:

Thanks for clarifying that for us. You had me going about what to do with the Panty Hose! :laugh:

bfreebern said:

Aren't theny uncomfortable to walk in like that?

Jeffro600 said:
Bill Clinton said:

[snapback]268062[/snapback]​

My tube doesn't give off any odor either.

Back