• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buena Vista's On Sale Again

I will say this though, the box for the corona larga is the perfect size and construction for a small travel humidor. Just a thought.

Yep. The company who makes those boxes actually constructs humidors and that design was based on their normal humidor construction.

Personally I wouldn't call the BV's mild in any respect. I'd say a solid medium smoke. If you're used to Opus or God of Fire's every day, it might taste mild.

As to the dryness, my pack didn't come with any humidification so I'd expect the dry issue. Some cigar companies still aren't shipping with humipacks, so it makes sense. All the cigars I've purchased through cigarpage have come dry and shaped up nicely in the humi, so I'm relatively confident they keep their warehouse humidified to some acceptable level. Never noticed a flavor problem.

I love the BV's. They're the closest thing to a smooth cc-esque smoke I can find out of a non cc blend. They've always been consistent for me, forgiving the once in a while tight draw stick. And the flavor profile has always struck me as a great medium-bodied smoke.

Yep. The company who makes those boxes actually constructs humidors and that design was based on their normal humidor construction.

Personally I wouldn't call the BV's mild in any respect. I'd say a solid medium smoke. If you're used to Opus or God of Fire's every day, it might taste mild.

As to the dryness, my pack didn't come with any humidification so I'd expect the dry issue. Some cigar companies still aren't shipping with humipacks, so it makes sense. All the cigars I've purchased through cigarpage have come dry and shaped up nicely in the humi, so I'm relatively confident they keep their warehouse humidified to some acceptable level. Never noticed a flavor problem.

I love the BV's. They're the closest thing to a smooth cc-esque smoke I can find out of a non cc blend. They've always been consistent for me, forgiving the once in a while tight draw stick. And the flavor profile has always struck me as a great medium-bodied smoke.

It's all your fault....lol

Better get that fridge converted over....

I also jumped on this deal and can report much the same as others; my boxes arrived extremely dry with multiple cracked wrappers. More concerning then the cracked wrappers is the extremely tight draw, even after multiple passes with a drawpoker.

Going to let them sit for awhile, guess I was expecting more.

C
I also jumped on this deal and can report much the same as others; my boxes arrived extremely dry with multiple cracked wrappers. More concerning then the cracked wrappers is the extremely tight draw, even after multiple passes with a drawpoker.

Going to let them sit for awhile, guess I was expecting more.
Cracked wrappers? I'd call them to see about replacement, a bit dry I get, but cracked wrappers? How bad are we talking?

My boxes came very dry also. A couple of the cigars looked pretty beat up because the pillow bags in the shipping box failed, so you can tell they were banging around inside the packaging. And I'm sure UPS was real careful not to toss the packages around when they handled them :confused: So I had a couple with cracked tips. I let them rest for 4 days before I tried one, I couldn't wait, and it was very hard and dry and delicate.

My question to the FOG's, are these ruined due to being dried out so much or can they recover over time? I don't get the feeling this dryness was from shipping (one week), it seems much deeper then that. I realize I may not have given you enough info, but can someone share from experience?

My boxes came very dry also. A couple of the cigars looked pretty beat up because the pillow bags in the shipping box failed, so you can tell they were banging around inside the packaging. And I'm sure UPS was real careful not to toss the packages around when they handled them :confused: So I had a couple with cracked tips. I let them rest for 4 days before I tried one, I couldn't wait, and it was very hard and dry and delicate.

My question to the FOG's, are these ruined due to being dried out so much or can they recover over time? I don't get the feeling this dryness was from shipping (one week), it seems much deeper then that. I realize I may not have given you enough info, but can someone share from experience?
As has been stated previously by MNBrian, let them rest at least 1 week to 30 days, you should see a difference at 30 days rest. If things are way beat up as in destroyed/unsmokeable, I'd contact the vendor. Unless they're dried up like cardboard, they should recover nicely after some rest.

As has been stated previously by MNBrian, let them rest at least 1 week to 30 days, you should see a difference at 30 days rest. If things are way beat up as in destroyed/unsmokeable, I'd contact the vendor. Unless they're dried up like cardboard, they should recover nicely after some rest.
Thanks for the feedback. I have NO experience with receiving dry cigars like this. I'm very new to all of this. I don't think they are beyond repair because they still smell wonderful. I just have zero experience with this, and didn't know what to expect. I was going to let them rest for many many months and try again, but wanted to get some indication if I can expect them to recover or not.

The bands are holding it all together.

I tired the run the cigar under some water trick along with the cigar poker, the draw was very difficult and I trashed the cigar.
Tried two or three and gave up for a while.

Here's a picture of the damage, I smoked the ones that were worse.

I would contact the vendor, see if they are willing to ship out a replacement. They may be willing, they may not, or perhaps a refund or partial refund. I'm sure something can be worked out. Offer to show them the damage. They may just say they are not responsible for the damage caused by shipper, but if they do, argue the case that they should be packaging items better as to prevent this sort of thing, Yes it's a bargain smoke, yes it's on clearance, but a sale is a sale and damaged goods are damaged goods. Customer service seems to be dead now a days and that's a damn shame. You may decide it's not worth the hassle, but its the principle. Let us know what you decide and what happens. Good luck.

C

None that I ever bought looked like that, but I got mine the last time they were on sale through JRs. Could this just be a crappy vendor?

I bought 6 boxes this last go round. 3 of each type "corona". No damage. Minor spring at the foot, so not dowels, but still fairly light in the hand. I'll be happy if just ok for mowing the lawn or with coffee in the a.m.

If I bought cigars that came looking like that I would be requesting a replacement from the vendor or a refund. From my own experience cigars that are severely dried out never recover back to what they once were. Yeah they can be brought back to life but the flavors are never the same.

That's unfortunate that these are showing up in such bad shape. I like a deal as much as the next guy, but when at all possible try to stick with more reputable vendors who know what they're doing with storage and shipping. I'd definitely try to get a refund or replacement, and if they refuse, make sure to note such in any rating system you can find for them (their website, yahoo, wherever) so others know to avoid them.

None of my boxes were like this, is it a vendor specific issue?

None of my boxes were like this, is it a vendor specific issue?
I wonder the same. I bought one box from the first sale a while back, and then the others I bought were from Famous. They came with no issues.

I've bought from cigar page and JR cigars. All with no issue except for slight dryness.

C

None of mine looked that bad either LOMartin. I'd definitely call the vendor.

I had no cracked wrappers. They certainly were dry and didn't look as pretty as my previous set of 6 boxes from JR's, but already mine have recovered nicely. I tried one yesterday (after about a week of sitting in the humi) and it tasted as expected. Medium bodied with no draw issues and an overall great taste.

For what it's worth, I bought three boxes, Maduro Clint bought three boxes, and two of my friends bought three boxes each. 12 boxes and they all look fine. Yes, they were a little dry, but nothing that can't be recovered. But I am not aware of any damage in the boxes that came to me, Clint, or my friends.