• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buffalo Trace Bourbon

The liquor store close by had this on sale for a couple bucks off. Made it the same price as my staple, WT101 so I thought I'd give it a try.

A very nice dram...!! I'll post more detailed comments after another dram or two, but it's a very complex, smooth, nice tasting bourbon, to be sure.

I picked up a bottle based on this thread and Ray's recommendation. I have not opened it yet as I still have an open bottle of Woodford and Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

Put it in the rotation, variety is the spice of life. :)

I picked up a bottle based on this thread and Ray's recommendation. I have not opened it yet as I still have an open bottle of Woodford and Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

Ok, it begs the question then....how long is an open bottle of bourbon good for before it starts to taste crappy? I once had an awesome whiskey opened and within 1 year it was flat and tasted much different.

My experience seems to point me to 3-6 months.

Ok, it begs the question then....how long is an open bottle of bourbon good for before it starts to taste crappy? I once had an awesome whiskey opened and within 1 year it was flat and tasted much different.

Depends, right? Exposure to sunlight, oxidation, and temperature can all alter the taste of a spirit. I believe the rate of oxidation accelerates with the diminishing amount of booze you got in the bottle. A relatively full bottle would oxidize at a slower rate than a bottle that is half way full. I'm not entirely sure how long it takes a bottle to "taste crappy." It depends on a variety of factors, after all.

I'm no expert, so maybe somebody else would like to step in.

-Mark

edited to add. Maybe there is a "Be wary after __ months" rule.

I would imagine it is different for different people. I've had bottles of bourbon open for 5+ years that I thought were still good. Yes, they have changed but I didn't think they got anywhere near "crappy" YMMV.

I believe a good cork and a dark cabinet would go a long way to slowing down the process of oxidation, but I'll defer to AVB as the expert here....

Just got home and poured a solid two fingers of B.T. I may have a new fave (for the price, of course).... :thumbs: