• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Building Ammo Can Humidor

JollyGreen

Being that i have a over abundance of .50 cal ammo cans laying around i decided it would make an awesome humidor/conversation piece. Basically i was looking at getting a digital hydrometer and a thing of Heartfelt Industry Beads and setting that up inside the can. Then in one side of the can cutting a small rectangular hole and mounting plexiglass over it and sealing it with a form of epoxy for viewing of the hydrometer.

Here is what i was looking at using for those who dont know what i am referring to.

RCO-9102_d.jpg

I have seen these done before and it makes for a definite conversation piece. I've been saying I was going to do one but I haven't gotten around to it. I personally wouldn't cut out for the hygrometer but that is just me. Wouldn't want to chance not getting a good seal. Make sure and show us pictures of the finished product.

Steam clean it, first. You've probably noticed, they smell funny.

Doc.

Well dome, Tasman. Seeing yours kinda makes me want to do one and I don't even need more humi space right now.

Hey thanks for the link Taz. That is almost exactly what i had in mind. But i didnt think to build a shelf to hold above the beads. Thats an awesome idea. Now i just got to figure out how to get some cedar to Afghanistan.

LOL You would be surprised what you can get shipped there!
biggrin.gif

I wasn't able to get anything like that out there, but I had some folks send cedar from inside cigar boxes and I lined an ammo can with that. It seemed to work well. Just a thought, if you don't get a hold of the good stuff.
By the way, Tasman, I had never seen that humi, great work!

A buddy of mine made one of these last time I was over there. He just cleaned out out with soap and water, put a sponge in a baggie and put it in the bottom. Then he just placed a couple pieces of cedar in it with the cigars. Worked for him the entire deployment.

Good Luck!

I have seen these done before and it makes for a definite conversation piece. I've been saying I was going to do one but I haven't gotten around to it. I personally wouldn't cut out for the hygrometer but that is just me. Wouldn't want to chance not getting a good seal. Make sure and show us pictures of the finished product.

+1 on not cutting it. If you use beads, you won't need to worry about the humidity that much, if at all. A simple digital hydro inside the can should be sufficient.

Hey thanks guys, and i am about 99% positive i will have no issue returning home with this. I have a friend sending me the pieces of cedar and patiently awaiting them to arrive. I have gotten everything else already. Very grateful that one of my friends just purchased a humidor as my smokes have started to show up and being that mine is not finished yet i had no where to put them. I have decided to not put a viewing hole in the side. Thanks again for the support.

This sounds like a pretty innovative and creative idea. Post pics if you can once its done. Thanks!

Hey thanks guys, and i am about 99% positive i will have no issue returning home with this. I have a friend sending me the pieces of cedar and patiently awaiting them to arrive. I have gotten everything else already. Very grateful that one of my friends just purchased a humidor as my smokes have started to show up and being that mine is not finished yet i had no where to put them. I have decided to not put a viewing hole in the side. Thanks again for the support.

If you need a quick humidor, just use some tupperware and beads until you're done with your project. Also, I hope your friend is sending you spanish cedar and not some other form.

I got a ammo box of La Finca cigars from JR last year came with 91 cigars in it, its ceder lined and everything. Everyone I show loves it and always thinks its a cool humidor. I use it for my travel humi for when I go to the cottage or when I go camping. As for bringing it home, I live in Canada and took it home on the plane from the USA with little to no trouble, just had to crack it open on both sides of customs.

EDIT: On JR's it says the box is not lined but well my ammo box is.

What was your trick to getting the gunpowder smell out?

I was at the surplus shop and thinking the same idea.

Thanks for your help over there

Being that i have a over abundance of .50 cal ammo cans laying around i decided it would make an awesome humidor/conversation piece. Basically i was looking at getting a digital hydrometer and a thing of Heartfelt Industry Beads and setting that up inside the can. Then in one side of the can cutting a small rectangular hole and mounting plexiglass over it and sealing it with a form of epoxy for viewing of the hydrometer.

Here is what i was looking at using for those who dont know what i am referring to.

RCO-9102_d.jpg