• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Burr Grinders

I bought one of these a while back...when they had a sale (grabbed it for $50 iirc)!.

Works great - and I actually change the grind on occasion! :D

grateful1 said:
I bought one of these a while back...when they had a sale (grabbed it for $50 iirc)!.

Are you referring to the Capresso, Gary? I like their products. They do go a bit extra on quality while keeping things somewhat reasonable. I have both their drip and an espresso machines. I have a Baratza Grinder that gives a is fairly consistent grind but the Braun that is shown earlier in the thread was a fantastic grinder. I have one about 20 years old and used it everyday for about 17 years. Now it just goes on vacation with me. I paid 10 bucks for it, on clearance!

We have a Baratza Virtuoso and it's been grinding a load of beans every morning for half a dozen years.  Solid hardware, no regrets.  Their smaller one ("Encore") looks pretty interesting, but no regrets on the Virtuoso.

grateful1 said:

This one: Bodum

Very nice!

I only make 4-8 cup pots. So the 'hopper' on some of the larger models is not needed. 

Fresh ground from the sealed bag each time. 

Please...folks...and not aimed at you burtch...please, don't leave the beans in the hopper for another time!!! (thoughts?) 

MadMonk said:

Are you referring to the Capresso, Gary? I like their products. They do go a bit extra on quality while keeping things somewhat reasonable. I have both their drip and an espresso machines. I have a Baratza Grinder that gives a is fairly consistent grind but the Braun that is shown earlier in the thread was a fantastic grinder. I have one about 20 years old and used it everyday for about 17 years. Now it just goes on vacation with me. I paid 10 bucks for it, on clearance!
Not too crazy about my Capresso burr grinder. Seems to make more of a mess than anything, and the grind amount never seems consistent with the hopper feed design.

I have had a Krups grinder for over 20 years and she is still strong as can be.

No complaints here.

grateful1 said:
Please...folks...and not aimed at you burtch...please, don't leave the beans in the hopper for another time!!! (thoughts?) 
 My Braun was fairly air tight and I had got into the habit of leaving a couple/few days worth of beans in the hopper with no real issue. I did the same thing with the Baratza, without thinking, and it was bad.

Leaving the beans in the hopper is bad all the way around.  Measure them into the hopper from their air tight container just before the grind and brew.  Every time.

I bought several "Airscape" canisters several years ago. One of the two covers is vented, gasketed, and goes down to contact the beans. Work great.

Killer Beans come in a nice air tight zip loc bag.  Are you telling me there is other coffee...??.... :p

grateful1 said:

I don't.  It just comes with a big hopper.  I bought it for the grinder and its functions.  That and my Baratza died and there was only so much time to find a replacement of equal or better quality.  Like 3 hours give or take.
BlindedByScience said:
Killer Beans come in a nice air tight zip loc bag.  Are you telling me there is other coffee...??.... :p

Yes, try roasting your own.  You'll never go back.

mmburtch said:

I don't.  It just comes with a big hopper.  I bought it for the grinder and its functions.  That and my Baratza died and there was only so much time to find a replacement of equal or better quality.  Like 3 hours give or take.

BlindedByScience said:

I freeze dry my coffee, is that bad?

I'm totally joking, let me add that in here :sign:

mmburtch said:

....my boss does this; 'the next step off the cliff' he calls it.... :D

BlindedByScience said:

Until you grow it yourself.  Got a few trees in the back of the house.  Most got taken out by the neighbor a few years back though.

BlindedByScience said:

I'm down to about 200 pounds of green beans.  I'm in control..... ???