• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabs vs Dressed Boxes and Aging

N2Advnture said:
So Wilkey, I take it based on your last post that you aren't in favor of one over the other?

~M
[snapback]292378[/snapback]​

I'm not sure I get your question. Are you asking if I have a preference between dressed boxes or cabs? If so, I'd have to say that I would choose cabs if funds and availability permit. That said, dressed boxes provide aesthetics specific to each marca that you just don't find in plain cedar containers. They're lovely to look at.

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
I'm not sure I get your question. Are you asking if I have a preference between dressed boxes or cabs? If so, I'd have to say that I would choose cabs if funds and availability permit. That said, dressed boxes provide aesthetics specific to each marca that you just don't find in plain cedar containers. They're lovely to look at.
Wilkey

I was curious if you had an opinion on whether you think that cabs were better for aging over dress boxes or not. I didn't get a clear view on your posts as to which side of the fence you are on.

~M

How about this. The aromas given off by ageing is captured better by the cab. Because the cab "diffuses" the aromas to the outside slower, the cigars retain the flavor much better. My opinion is it more about keeping the good stuff in, than anything else.

Based on this, I am a cello on guy. If the box comes with cello on the outside, I leave it on. Slows everything down. But you have to know your vendor. I would never takethis approach with JR's whoare notorious for shipping wet or even moldy cigars. But my brick and mortar is a different story.

On an off note, I have a solid cedar hinged box that I sanded and varnished to store mixed ISOM singles.

It would seem to me, that a cab offers an anaerobic environment. i keep my boxes "cracked" open a bit, to allow some exchange of gases.
Paper really is really only IMO, a transporting device, not storage. The paper can give off many toxic compounds (dioxins, etc..) expecially at 70% RH.
If someone wants to preserve the cigar to its maximum potential, I think leaving them in cabs is the way to go (for third stage maturation), and with an abundance of patience!

nice topic Wilkey :)