• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cain, Padilla Habano, 5 Vegas A

rdj735

As you might know, I'm a newbie. Since taste is subjective, I usually skip by the reviews section, but since I managed to make time for three different cigars today, I thought I could at least describe the differences I found...

First one of the day was a Cain Robusto (5.7x50) Habano. Surprisingly, this wasn't as full-bodied as I had expected... maybe I pay too much attention to the blurb in the descriptions. Anyway, when first lit, I did get a great burst of pepper, both on the tongue and through the nose. Not just your usual pepper, but something like cayenne, the kind that sticks on your tongue, even after you've swallowed. I was expecting a real monster after that, but it seemed to calm down after the first inch or so. Now, leading into a point of mine... did you happen to have a mom (or wife) that ever put potpourri in a warmer? Not spray or a candle, but the real flakes of, well, whatever comes in that stuff? That's what I tasted and smelled after the first inch. A potpourri-lover could light one of these up after vacuuming and have a great time. Unfortunately, I'm not a potpourri-lover. It stayed what I would consider medium-bodied through the first half, at which point I laid it down. Since so many people out there seem to like this cigar, I'll give it another shot, but it just didn't do it for me today.

Number two was a Padilla Habano Torpedo (6.2x52) with an (obviously) Habano wrapper. Some may consider this to be one-dimensional, but I really enjoy it. It's a mild-medium to me, with nonstop tobacco flavor. All that I've had have burned well. The taste concentrates towards the final two or three inches, and it starts to take on more depth, similar to the strength of the Cain mentioned earlier. Not my favorite cigar ever, but the best one of the day.

And, finally, the 5 Vegas Series A that I'm finishing right now, the Archetype, a 6x50 Toro with a Maduro wrapper. The initial light made me think this would be my favorite of the three... it had a rich taste to it that the other two didn't. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, this cigar seems to totally skip the back half of my tongue. Maybe it's the cigar, maybe I've drank too much over the years, or maybe I just have a freaky tongue, but I could not pick up any flavor on the back half. If this cigar could migrate all over my tongue, and could add a little punch to my stomach, I'd smoke 'em every day. But, no luck. To me, the first couple of inches were the best. Once the front of my tongue became accustomed, this cigar just became something to occupy my hand as I was finishing up an episode of 24.