• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Calling out Waxingmoon - seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this is as good a place as any.

On January 28 2011 I ordered a custom humidor from Ed Sallee in the amount of $287.42. I paid an additional $50 for shipping (actually shipping cost was to be deducted from this amount and the rest refunded, it never was) and it was sent to me around the end of February. I was out of town a lot and it took me a couple of weeks to un-box it.

It arrived with some fairly big cosmetic issues as well as a crooked lid. The packing job was truly top notch and the box arrived undamaged, so I wouldn't think the lid issue was from shipment.

Click here for pictures of it's condition.

I emailed him to which he immediately responded via phone (March 20, 2011). He apologized for my dissatisfaction and said he would build another to replace it.

On July 12, 2011 I requested a refund as the replacement humidor had yet to be built. He replied "Fair enough.... I will work on saving up to do so." and I have not heard from him since.

The humidor is still sitting in the box it was shipped in unused.

Forward progress, I guess. I will say Ed has been timely in replying to any inquiries I've made but ultimately it hasn't gotten me anywhere yet.

Email exchange:

Josh to Edward 9:16 AM Sep 17

Ed,

What is the status on this?

Josh

-------------------------------------------------------------

Edward Sallee via msn.com to me 5:47 PM Sep 17

Josh,

I apologize for this dragging out so long. It was not my intent.

[Removed due to personal information regarding his mother's health]

I do intend on getting you straight.... but I ask that you bare with me while I get my things in order.... I just kicked the first batch off the bench after a long delay..... It will take me a minute to get caught back up.... but, I will...

Thanks for understanding..... (if ya do)....

Ed

-------------------------------------------------------------

Josh Garrison to Edward 9:27 PM Sep 17

Ed,

I am sorry to hear about your mother.

I am a patient man and I understand that sometimes life gets in the way of your obligations. My concern is not in the time this has taken but in that you have not updated me or kept me in the loop in any capacity unless I come hunting for more information. Further, your backlog on work should not have anything to do with the refund you agreed to give me. What I would like is for you to provide me with a date by when I can expect this matter to be completely resolved. Let me know.

Josh

Am I reading into this correctly, he'd rather make you a new one rather than refund the monies? Maybe that way he can re-sell or re-furbish the one you have in your possession to another buyer as say, a second hand or blemish model?

Am I reading into this correctly, he'd rather make you a new one rather than refund the monies? Maybe that way he can re-sell or re-furbish the one you have in your possession to another buyer as say, a second hand or blemish model?

Either way he'd still end up with the "blemish model" back. I wasn't asking for a refund plus keeping it. :)

Look those pics over very carefully....really think that humi could be "rehabilitated".....??Sure would be nice if Mr. WaxingMoon would check in.....

X2
The work shows a lack of attention to detail on the finish, sanding and fit of the wood. I agree with the earlier post about how the wood will age. The wood may expand, contract or bow with time.

Either way he'd still end up with the "blemish model" back. I wasn't asking for a refund plus keeping it. :)

Misread my post Josh, you asked for your monies back after the lengthy time, but his statement of "kicked off the first batch off the bench" sounds like he's going to make you another one. Either way, those pics show a bad example of craftsmanship.
Hope he makes good on his word and satisfies a paying customer.

Misread my post Josh, you asked for your monies back after the lengthy time, but his statement of "kicked off the first batch off the bench" sounds like he's going to make you another one.

That's how I interpreted it as well; I addressed it specifically in my last reply to him. Still no answer back from Ed, yet. I'll keep everyone posted.

He probably needs to move some units to generate some profit to pay you back with. I hope you are made whole soon.

I would hate to see him on the scumbag list.

Idk how long Ed has been around but with business practices like this he won't be around for much longer.

I have to say, I'm surprised to see Ed loose the attention to detail I've seen from him in the past. What I gather from his prices VS his product, and this is only my observation, not criticizing at all. He hasn't factored in his material costs, time, property costs, utilities, cost of tools, possible returns and everything else involved in being self employed. I can appreciate that he wants to give his fellow BOTL a nice humidor for a great price but when you rent a building and decide to go into business, all those things need to be factored in. I wish him the best and hope he gets this straightened out. He's a good guy with a great talent. Just needs a little business savvy.

Attention to detail? Are you kidding me? That humidor is a disaster. I'm only an amateur woodworker and I can do better than that. If I built that piece, I'd be embarrassed to show it to anyone, let alone sell it.

Doc

I have to agree, I've never seen him do that kind of work before. That, or no one has pointed it out and it was not in pictures. It takes me a couple months at least to build a desk top. I couldn't even begin to touch his prices. I do hope he gets this right, we've always been friends and he seems to have been a good contributor to the community in the past. It's not easy to build humi's, there's a lot of little nuances involved in getting it right. It's not just a box.

I emailed him on September 17 and have not yet gotten a response. He was last active on Cigar Asylum yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.