• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Camacho Negro, Robusto

If you're looking for something that is a duplicate of Padron's for a cheap price, this is by no means it, but I do find it comparable to the 2000, many of the same tastes.

Wilkey, how would this cigar compare to the Padron 2000 Maddie?

What I mean is, both are around $4. Which one delivers better for the money?
Wyatt,

It's been a long time since I've smoked one of these and only one B&M in this area carries them. The owner is less than knowledgeable (even gave me the "this is plume" line on some moldy El Rey del Mundos in his case). I'd say it's a toss-up. For about the same cashola, I'd put up a box of both if possible. I might have room for a box. Two if I can get them out of that grotesque rope-wrapped trunk they come in.

The thing I alluded to about the residual smell on the fingers being nice instead of wretch-inducing is kinda big with me. Only a few NC cigars aside from this make my fingers and hair smell nice instead of nasty. Almost all Cuban cigars make the nice, nice smell though. Why? I have no clue. I seem to recall that Opus X and Tat brown labels, especially the J21 stink you up something horrible.

Wilkey

If you're looking for something that is a duplicate of Padron's for a cheap price, this is by no means it, but I do find it comparable to the 2000, many of the same tastes.

It wasn't so much that I'm looking for anything, it was the comment about these being advertised as comparable to PAM.

Then Wilkey said, as expected, while they are a decent smoke for $4 they fall short of that. I was just curious if this meant they were more along the line of the Padron 2000 Maddie, and if so, which one is better. My guess, based on the fact that I know Wilkey likes his Padron 2000 Maddies is that the Camacho also falls short to them as well. Just wanted to see what his comments were.

I wouldn't say that these replicate the Padron K-series. Certainly I don't think they match up to the Serie 1926. However, just as with the Cohiba Maduro 5, don't expect that they will taste like Cohiba (or Padron in this case) and I'm sure you'll find them enjoyable.

Too bad these weren't more widely distributed or marketed better. Once JR implied that they were essentially blended to knock-off the Padron Anniversary line their fate was sealed. They didn't match up and this resulted in people branding them as failures. JR killed this one. Not Camacho. What a shame that one of the times Lew Rothman's bullshit caught up with him, a good cigar had to suffer.

Wilkey

It wasn't so much that I'm looking for anything, it was the comment about these being advertised as comparable to PAM.

Then Wilkey said, as expected, while they are a decent smoke for $4 they fall short of that. I was just curious if this meant they were more along the line of the Padron 2000 Maddie, and if so, which one is better. My guess, based on the fact that I know Wilkey likes his Padron 2000 Maddies is that the Camacho also falls short to them as well. Just wanted to see what his comments were.
Wyatt,

I don't know if I answered your question. In a word, I like 'em and would be happy to put up a box or two.

We should be aware that I'm not aware of any long term aging of this cigar. It's entirely possible that they might not develop in any good way. That would be the risk.

In any case, a good stick...about the only thing in the entire Camacho catalog that I like.

Wilkey

Wyatt,

I don't know if I answered your question. In a word, I like 'em and would be happy to put up a box or two.

We should be aware that I'm not aware of any long term aging of this cigar. It's entirely possible that they might not develop in any good way. That would be the risk.

In any case, a good stick...about the only thing in the entire Camacho catalog that I like.

Wilkey

Yep, I got the gist of it from both posts. Sounds like it's a decent cigar in its own way, but was done an injustice by comparing it to the Padron line.

I wouldn't say that these replicate the Padron K-series. Certainly I don't think they match up to the Serie 1926. However, just as with the Cohiba Maduro 5, don't expect that they will taste like Cohiba (or Padron in this case) and I'm sure you'll find them enjoyable.

Too bad these weren't more widely distributed or marketed better. Once JR implied that they were essentially blended to knock-off the Padron Anniversary line their fate was sealed. They didn't match up and this resulted in people branding them as failures. JR killed this one. Not Camacho. What a shame that one of the times Lew Rothman's bullshit caught up with him, a good cigar had to suffer.

Wilkey

I really was surprised how good they are, I was expecting the typical close-out cigar, something not worth tasting again. I have to agree with you, if they weren't touted as a Padron copy by JR's, they would've done very wel. In my opinion, they're more than worth their full price, let alone the JR close-out deal.

I know you didn't ask me, but I can offer a little insight. I've smoked about 10 of the Camachos and I don't know how many of the Padrons. In the 10 Camachos I smoked, about half tasted alike and the other half tasted different, but also alike. (I hope that made sense) None of them tasted anything like any Padron I've ever smoked. Much harsher to me and they lacked the toasty quality I like about the Padrons.

Every Padron 2000 I've smoked has tasted very much the same. The aged ones taste all about the same, too. It is one of the most consistent cigars I smoke, but it's also the cigar I smoke the most.

I smoked the Camachos when these first came out, so I have no idea if the extra aging would have made them more consistent or not.
I missed this post. Thanks for adding your experience, Alan. Were these recent or early releases? In any case, now the case becomes interesting with your counterpoint. :thumbs:

Wilkey

I know you didn't ask me, but I can offer a little insight. I've smoked about 10 of the Camachos and I don't know how many of the Padrons. In the 10 Camachos I smoked, about half tasted alike and the other half tasted different, but also alike. (I hope that made sense) None of them tasted anything like any Padron I've ever smoked. Much harsher to me and they lacked the toasty quality I like about the Padrons.

Every Padron 2000 I've smoked has tasted very much the same. The aged ones taste all about the same, too. It is one of the most consistent cigars I smoke, but it's also the cigar I smoke the most.

I smoked the Camachos when these first came out, so I have no idea if the extra aging would have made them more consistent or not.
I missed this post. Thanks for adding your experience, Alan. Were these recent or early releases? In any case, now the case becomes interesting with your counterpoint. :thumbs:

Wilkey
I bought 10 of these when they first came out and smoked over the period of about 4-5 months. I haven't had one since and it has been awhile. I do wonder if the extra time these spent in the warehouse would help them in any way.