• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can someone recommend a decent desktop humi?

martinman

My first humi was from thompson. After having many problems with humidity, I finally tested it and found that it didn't seal properly. Ok, no prob, I pitched the cheap cigars and bought another from cheaphumidors.com. This one works well (it's a 100ct 3/4 full), but I had a ton of problems regulating humidity during the winter months (here in michigan). Yes, I'm using beads (from heartfelt), distilled water and I have 2 (yes 2) humidification devices in the humi - a tube and an aluminum holder for the beads. My humi resides in the basement, and I have central air, so there really isn't any need for a dehumidifier. I'm having the refill both the tube and alum about once a week, and about 2-3 times per week in the winter. What's the deal??

My first humi was from thompson. After having many problems with humidity, I finally tested it and found that it didn't seal properly. Ok, no prob, I pitched the cheap cigars and bought another from cheaphumidors.com. This one works well (it's a 100ct 3/4 full), but I had a ton of problems regulating humidity during the winter months (here in michigan). Yes, I'm using beads (from heartfelt), distilled water and I have 2 (yes 2) humidification devices in the humi - a tube and an aluminum holder for the beads. My humi resides in the basement, and I have central air, so there really isn't any need for a dehumidifier. I'm having the refill both the tube and alum about once a week, and about 2-3 times per week in the winter. What's the deal??

I'd say put the desktop on the desktop and store accessories. Store the cigars in a cooler (coolidor). Chose one that seals well. If you plan ahead, go ahead and spend your money on a 150+ quart cooler. You'll need the space.

This, IMHO, is the best desktop humidor, I have two.
Expensive but well worth the bucks.

Daniel Marshall Chest Humidor
daniel.gif

Brian

I gave up on getting my desktop to keep humidity, got a cabinet instead than use an otter box to hold my weeks worth of smokes in. I now use the desktop for cutters, bands that I save and such.

My desktop from CheapHumidors seals quite well, but in the winter when the heat is on, the humidity drops like a rock in the house and I think you'll find most anything will sturggle to keep the RH is an acceptable range.

I run 65% beads year round, and they regulate the humidity really well. What I've done when the ambient RH is low is to use the little foam element that came with the humi with some DI on it. With the beads in the humi to regulate the RH, this works great.

The best cooler to use for storage is the one that's on sale.... :p Seriously, if they have a lid that fits tight, you should be good to go.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

My desktop from CheapHumidors seals quite well, but in the winter when the heat is on, the humidity drops like a rock in the house and I think you'll find most anything will sturggle to keep the RH is an acceptable range.

I run 65% beads year round, and they regulate the humidity really well. What I've done when the ambient RH is low is to use the little foam element that came with the humi with some DI on it. With the beads in the humi to regulate the RH, this works great.

The best cooler to use for storage is the one that's on sale.... :p Seriously, if they have a lid that fits tight, you should be good to go.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

I do the sme thing, works great....

For a decent mass produced humidor, Reed & Barton is the way to go. It'll seal right and it comes with everything you need - my first humi was the Elite gift set: a 140count, decent cigar cutter, Diamond Crown ashtray, Diamond Crown hygrometer and a Diamond Crown humidified all for $300. You can probably find it cheaper online too.

daniel.gif

Brian

well worth it? hell yea, i love mines.

mines - you love mines? WTF is mines? :laugh:

martinman - they are around $850, 150 ct

Brian

lol i meant as in my treasure dome! ah you guys are killin me, i dont know whether to think you guys are just jokin or you guys really think im dumb :p

daniel.gif

Brian

well worth it? hell yea, i love mines.

mines - you love mines? WTF is mines? :laugh:

martinman - they are around $850, 150 ct

Brian
:0
Good Lord that a lot of money

hell yea it is, if you dont want something too big then go with what the just reconmended, if you want something like that dome and still be affordable...

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=25121

that's what i got recently, it's a 200+ct humi(pics throughout the thread), it's in the $150-$160 range.
check out the cigarpass store, or pm Rod(check my sig)and tell him your interested in buying a humi.

Daniel Marshall pride themselves in making works of art.
The chest humidor is a 20th anniversary limited edition,
rated "A" by Cigar Aficionado - the finish of this humidor is beautiful.

However, the CP humidor looks like an excellent buy as I'm sure
OahuGrown will attest to.

Brian

Brian

:D oh you know me so well, i gotta give back to the bored some how!

advertise and support is the best i can do right now :D

Brian

:D oh you know me so well, i gotta give back to the bored some how!

advertise and support is the best i can do right now :D

So now you are "bored" ??? Just busting your chops, we love you dude :love:

Brian