• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Canadian Brass Concert

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
One of the best concerts I've ever been to in my life was tonight.

canbrass.com

First you have to understand. I have 100's and 100's and 100's of CD and LPs....but the very first album I ever purchased was Canadian Brass :love: I'm a classically trained tuist and trombonist, so these guys have been my idols for a very, very long time :)

The first concert I ever went to outside CLT was a 3 hour drive about 10 years ago. My mom took me up and back the same night to see them :love: My mom rules!

They've come to CLT twice since then, but I've missed them both times :(

I had a seat tonight thogh! I also had the most KICKA$$ seat in the place. 7 rows back - dead center seat. There absolutly was not a better seat in the house. A row up is too close and a row back was too far :thumbs:

In case that wasn't good enough....they have a classical piece they play where the quintet spreads out to simulate a cathedral's time-delay. Well, Chuck Dallenbach, the tuba player came to spread out as well. He sat in the seat in font of me for the whole song!

This is my version of Bill's Judas Priest :p

Cheers,
Dixie

I'm not known as a post padder, so these shouldn't be held against me :p

Canadian Brass's best album is "All You Need is Love"

Cheers,
Dixie

other1 said:
dixieland_conjunction said:
This is my version of Bill's Judas Priest :p
The two of you need help. :p
:sign:

C'mon Jason, I swear I don't need to take those pills anymore, I fell much better now :0 :p :D :thumbs:

I am a trumpeter myself, both classical and jazz, and I have to say I love this group! Have never seen them live, but have a few of their albums and seen them on video.

:thumbs:

dixieland_conjunction said:
I'm a classically trained tuist and trombonist
Do you mean tuBist?
I've never heard of a tuist, but who knows.

Assuming you're taking about the Tuba, then (hold on to your hat), we actually DO have something in common. I never did much after high school & boot camp, but I was a pretty decent tubist in my day as well.

Who knew? :lookup:

Dave ;)

DaveWF said:
...we actually DO have something in common. I never did much after high school & boot camp, but I was a pretty decent tubist in my day as well.
I don't doubt it. I have many interest besides cigars :thumbs:

Yes, I meant "tubist."

Once I switched from a music performance major to economics I didn't play tuba for a while. I recently went about 2 years without playing any instrument for more than ~10 minutes a week.

I just bought a tuba a few months ago and hope to get my chops back :) I try to play for at least an hour a week. It's a far cry from the 2-3/day I had to paly in college, but I'm playing for my own satisfaction now, not for a degree.

Cheers,
Dixie

What brand did you get? 3 or 4 valve?
What sort of money are we talking about for a tuba? I've never even considered the possibilty of owning my own. Did you buy it new or used? Suddenly you have my interest...

I bought a functional beater :p <insert joke heere>

A 3-valve King 3/4 top-action convertable marching tuba (yes Dave and I know what I just said).

I picked it up for $325. No case, crappy lacquer, a few medium dents, a million small dents, and FLAWLESS vavles. :thumbs:

If I get my chops back I'll consier an old 4-valve Conn Recording tuba. I'm not so much into newer horns. My trumpet is from the 40's, my jazz bone the 30's and my concert bone 1924 :love:

Cheers,
Dixie