• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Candela wrappers

bombtek

Thus far, I have had three different sizes of Cuba-Aliados, a few Iguanas from Thompsons (don't shoot me, they were given to me), a few Astrals, and a small handful of some with no band on them that were also given to me.

In all honesty I REALLY wanted to like them ....seemed like the perfect early morning (5-6am) cigar, but they seem so damn hit or miss. Even within the same box! The only ones that are somewhat reliable are the Cuba-Aliados pyramid (#4's I think). These are supposed to be just about the mildest creamiest wrappers going, and sometimes (but not often enough) there is a harshnes...and I'm not talking full bodied knock your socks off "good" kind of harshness that you'd find in say an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte..it's not that at all...it's a harshness that burns the back of your throat ...like tossing a handful of fresh mown grass onto a small fire and then leaning over it gulp in huge mouthfuls of the smoke.

I dunno, as much as I WANT to like these cigars, I am about to write them off. Maybe a year or two of aging in a humi will take that edge off, but I'm not sure I want to waste the space in my humidor for that long to find out.

Anyone else have an opinion on this wrapper?

Thanks

Bill

I wouldn't give a candela wrapped cigar house room.

Doc.

Doc, from what I've seen on here, I take it that you like full bodied cigars. Is this the reason you wouldn't keep them? I like a wider variety. A good mild morning smoke, then a medium bodied for lunch break, another one when I get home before dinner with a glass of scotch or a Guiness, and then after dinner a super fuerte with another scotch (or two or three). I will usually have one more mild to medium (more to the medium side) right before bed. Okay now that I've read what I just wrote, I think I better cut back, or start making appointments in advance with my doctor to be checked for some kind of cancer LOL. I didn't really realise that I was burning that many every day till I just wrote it down!!!

Oh yeah Marc, they make em....so far they are the only ones that I'd MAYBE buy again

I was wrong about the #4 though it was Cuba Aliados Candela #3 Cut Head. I got them from cbid.

Doc, from what I've seen on here, I take it that you like full bodied cigars. Is this the reason you wouldn't keep them? I like a wider variety. A good mild morning smoke, then a medium bodied for lunch break, another one when I get home before dinner with a glass of scotch or a Guiness, and then after dinner a super fuerte with another scotch (or two or three). I will usually have one more mile to medium (more to the medium side) right before bed. Okay now that I've read what I just wrote, I think I better cut back, or start making appointments in advance with my doctor to be checked for some kind of cancer LOL. I didn't really realise that I was burning that many every day till I just wrote it down!!!

Oh yeah Marc, they make em....so far they are the only ones that I'd MAYBE buy again

I was wrong about the #4 though it was Cuba Aliados Candela #3 Cut Head. I got them from cbid.

ok we must be talking about different cigars then. i thought you were talking about puro indios cuba aliados. i just opened an account with them and there is not a candela in that line. so either your talking about a different manufacturer or they have since discontinued that wrapper. i just want to make sure your not smoking something you think is a candela as opposed to a claro or a co claro.

I, for one, like a good candela cigar. The key is that you get a good one to start with. The ones you mentioned I would not even waste my time with. Try a Fuente 858 Candela or a Graycliff Emerald Candela or even a Montesino Candela. There are some real shitty ones out there but these ones are pretty good IMO. I would say try at least one of these before giving up on candelas altogether.

I'd agree with atuck. Give a 858 Candela a try before writing off the whole lot. It's the only candela I've had that was any good, and I thought it was pretty darn good. The regular AF line candelas are decent as well in my very limited experience.

What atuck said. I believe the JR Ultimate line still has candelas in some of its sizes. That was my first. They're a change-of-pace thing for me. I like the unique sweetness they can give. Here's the trick. Smoke em very very slowly. That'll keep em from getting too hot or too intense with the grassy taste.

About a year ago I bought some candela wrapper cigars from La Gloria Cubana. They were quite good. When I went back a few months later to get more they weren't in stock and I have not seen them since. I too would like to have a better selection of candela wrapper cigars that are not gas station trash. Some of the earliest puffs were candela wrapped cigars. I like to smoke one from time to time just out of nostalgia.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Ar...22,1251,00.html

Cigar Aficionado wrote up a piece on them a few years back.
IMO, they can be a great addition to your humidor. The Fuente 8-5-8 is amazing with a morning latte in summer right before work. I had the pleasure of trying one of Greycliff's Emerald line [churchill size] last summer and it was classic! Only sorry to say that no shop nearby carries them :(

So, give other brands a try before swearing them off.

Never had a Candela wrapper but i'd like to give them a shot. They had 858 Candlas in Vegas when i was there but i didn't want to get to daring....now i sorta wish i had.

IMO, they can be a great addition to your humidor. The Fuente 8-5-8 is amazing with a morning latte in summer right before work. I had the pleasure of trying one of Greycliff's Emerald line [churchill size] last summer and it was classic! Only sorry to say that no shop nearby carries them :(

Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read. :thumbs:

Its a wrapper that is green in color...found this in a search off of google:

13401061117.jpg

"The first cigar on the left in the picture above is wrapped with a candela leaf. Candela wrapper is a special case: artificial heat is applied to the leaf before it turns brown, so it doesn't go through the normal drying process. It's analogous to the way port is made -- brandy is added to the wine to stop fermentation, so the wine retains more of its sugar than it normally would, resulting in a sweeter wine. At one time candela cigars were the most popular type in the United States, so they are sometimes called American Market Selection, or AMS. "Claro Claro" and "Double Claro" are also used, as well as "jade", the name Macanudo applies to its candelas."

I've been seeing them in Thompson's for a while, but I'm weary about buying alot at a time. No rush, I'll get a sampler or something. If you really want a different cigar that I find really good, try the ACIDs. :)

I would agree with the 858 morning latte/coffee comment. The wrappers give the cigar an almost tea like character and for me they make a pleasant morning cigar. I should try the Graycliff, since I have not had one. Most of the others are not as good IMHO as the 858. Also, Fuente labels it a "claro" wrapper I believe.

I agree that the Candela is a different type of cigar. Not off the wall different, just ot an expected taste of a cigar if what you're used to is .....well...a cigar type flavor. Yes that flavor is present, just in a "different way. I think that I will take the advice that of some of the replies that I've read on here and not toss them out the window. The 858 seems like a good place to start. As for the Acids....I've had them...I even liked them...to a point. But, I doubt if I will ever buy a box, or even a 5-pack of any of the Acid brands. Maybe a single here and there if I am in the mood and the B&M is on the way. Definately NOT something I would go out of my way to buy though. Like I said there were a few that I liked...the Atom Maduro comes to mind, but for the most part, the flavor infused cigars are just not my thing.

The wrapper is only part of the flavor. I don't care for Purios Indios as a rule so I why would I like them in candela. I like fuente so, surprise, I like their candelas.