• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Carlos Torano Tribute 2004

Tenpin

Newbie here, so I'm looking for advice (no, not the pack 'em and ship 'em to me kind!).
Bought a 5'er of the Tribute 2004's (torp).
Been in the humi only a week and had one yesterday.
Disappointed for a $12 stick (ok, I only paid $7).
Tough draw, very little smoke, had to touch it up twice.
Great lookin, but this ain't no beauty contest.
Initial thought is to wait a month and try another, but wanted to see if anyone else had tried one of these.

Thoughts???

Never tried the tribute's but the silver's and gold's are damn good if you ask me. give them another shot.

Sounds like you got a dud, it happens. I've smoked quite a few of these and they have all been very, very good.

I've not had any of the 2004's but quite a few of the 2003's. I'd have to say you got a dud as all the 2003's I've had were very good smokes and I can't imagine the 2004's being different.

I've smoked a few of both the 2003s and 2004s. The construction problems trouble me because I've experienced none with any of the tributes that I have smoked. Could be that they need to settle more...could be you got a dud. I would just wait a month and fire up another.

The 2003 was a little mild for my tastes, but the 2004 maduro has been great. Not a very strong cigar, but flavorful and rich. I wouldn't pay $12 for them either, but if you got them for $7, you did OK. Try another...I'm sure it will be better.

I've smoked a couple of the 2004 Tributes and I thought they were pretty good :thumbs:

My snobby tastes are very discriminating so........ :D

I have had several of the 2004 Tributes and all were excellent. The taste reminded me of AF Hemi Sig Maduro but of course the Honduran vs Dominican differences were there.

I have had burn and draw problems with the Exodus 59 gold and silver, and their Brick bundles; but all of the Signaure, 1916, and Tributes I have smoked have been flawless thus far. To spare you the agony of getting another bad one though ship the remaining 4 to me!

-Matt-

txmatt said:
I have had several of the 2004 Tributes and all were excellent. The taste reminded me of AF Hemi Sig Maduro but of course the Honduran vs Dominican differences were there.

I have had burn and draw problems with the Exodus 59 gold and silver, and their Brick bundles; but all of the Signaure, 1916, and Tributes I have smoked have been flawless thus far. To spare you the agony of getting another bad one though ship the remaining 4 to me!

-Matt-
[snapback]174245[/snapback]​
Yoh, TxMatt !
As a fellow Texan, I can not let you suffer through the agony of smoking those 4 awful Torano Tribute by yourself. My conscience will not let me rest at night knowing at a true Texan is pouring his heart out for the good of others. I insist that as a In-The-Same-Residing-State fellow cigar enthusiast, I will share that burden with you. Forward 2 of those awful God-Forsaken cigars to me so I can at least alleviate half of the pain for you... :p

Thought I would post to this thread instead of starting a new one. I decided to smoke a Carlos Torano Tribute 2003 and 2004 back to back. Here is my review.

Carlos Torano Tribute 2003 Churchill

This cigar had a light wrapper with a few veins and minor seams. It was a very attractive cigar. The pre-light nose was mild, primarily of mild earth and cedar. The pre-light draw was open and easy. The cigar just felt good in the mouth.

The cigar lit very easily and the draw stayed just about perfect. Each puff coaxed mouthfuls of medium-bodied smoke from the cigar. The ash was very white and firm, staying on for an inch at a time. The cigar smoked cool throughout. It began to get soft near the back end, but never changed the burn profile. It burned just about as even as possible...not touch ups or corrections needed. Great construction.

The initial taste was creamy with predominant coffee flavors. There was just a hint of citrus on the finish as this point. The cigar started and remained very smooth. It developed a bit of tanginess after about an inch and a half. Toward the midpoint, the creaminess expanded and a raw vanilla undertone reared its head. The cigar finished with the creamy coffee flavors that it started with. Nice flavors.

This cigar showed great construction and an incredibly inoffensive flavor profile. Overall, I rate this cigar a B+.

Carlos Torano Tribute 2004 Robusto

Would have loved to have smoked the same vitola as the 2003, but just didn't have one on hand. This robusto had a very dark maduro wrapper, though with some inconsistencies in the color of the wrapper. The pre-light nose was very mild, primarily of coffee beans and earth. The pre-light draw was excellent, promising a fine smoking cigar.

The cigar lit very easily and the promised draw remained. This cigar smoked well, with huge volumes of thick, medium-bodied smoke generated with each hearty puff. The cigar burned as sharp as a razor, amazingly even for so dark maduro. The robusto smoked cool until near the end when it heated up on me. The ash was very white and firm, much like the 2003. Once again, very well constructed.

The initial puff on this cigar reminded me of why I enjoy a maduro Padron Anni so much. There was this hint of spice mixed in a swirl of charred wood, coffee, and sweetness. This initial nirvana faded a bit, but the coffee and charred wood remained to provide a very pleasurable medium-bodied flavor profile. At around the mid-way point, it picked up a bit of the same spice again, not sweet, not hot, not sour, not bitter, but a tongue teasing combination of all the above. Unfortunately, it was only a brief interlude. The solid coffee and charred wood remainded until I put the cigar down. Very good tasting cigar.

While this cigar was good, I can't put it on the same level with the Padron 1964 Anniversary or Serie 1926 maduros. Most of those smoke like an "A" cigar with an "A+" thrown in every once in a while. I rate this cigar an A-.

I have had a few of the 2003's and the 2004's..mostly the 1916's. I would never consider paying 12 bucks a stick for one...but luckily, they don't cost that much here. I would NEVER put them on the same level as a PAM...ever...ummm.. ever, ever.

the X is out.

Bought a variety of Toranos a while back, mostly silvers but some of each.

I thought they had too little flavor when I smoked the first few. But a couple months in storage and they have perked right up. Maybe put them aside for a while.

The construction problem really surprises me. Flavor aside I thought the cigars were among the best constructed smokes I have ever had in my eleven years of experience. My first thought with them was, "If the German's engineered and constructed cigars this is what they would turn out like."

Yoh, TxMatt !
As a fellow Texan, I can not let you suffer through the agony of smoking those 4 awful Torano Tribute by yourself. My conscience will not let me rest at night knowing at a true Texan is pouring his heart out for the good of others. I insist that as a In-The-Same-Residing-State fellow cigar enthusiast, I will share that burden with you. Forward 2 of those awful God-Forsaken cigars to me so I can at least alleviate half of the pain for you... :p
[snapback]174423[/snapback]​

Why does this post have a "Mr. Haney" twang to it... :laugh: :laugh:

Updating from my initial post...

A bit of rest did wonders for this stick!
Burned one yesterday... Lots of creamy smoke, purfect burn and never hot until about the last inch. Not too strong and not very spicy, but did pick up some complexity (wood and leather?).

Guess I'll keep these! :D

Jim