• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Carve your own

It does look like fun. I've seen on other forums that people have tried this. Most of them turned out pretty good. I know a couple of people had sand pits and other problems with the briar that you couldn't see before it was carved. I wouldn't let that stop me, though. I'll probably try one next summer as a project.

I'd love to see how you do. :)

Where's the carve your own briar section? I only saw meerschaum on the site.

I've never used a one of the pre-made kit things, but I have been looking into prices for briar burls. My father does quite a bit of woodcarving and I've been talking with him about the two of us starting to make hand carved pipes as something that we may both enjoy. He does not smoke, and doesn't know I do because out of respect for my parents I do not smoke nor drink... or even talk of it around them. However he has always loved the smell of pipe tobacco because his father used to smoke a pipe quite regularly.

When I mentioned starting to make hand carved pipes, and more than likely branding our own label, it caught his interest. We'll see where things go from here... I'll be sure to keep you guys up to speed if/when we do start making them.

On a connected note, an ancestor of mine who was in the civil war, was a very prolific woodcarver who had carved a pipe while he was on the battlefield. It does not appear to have ever been used. The detail all around it is amazing. Along with the incredible patriotic pictures (Eagle, flags, shield, stars...), he has carved " Simeon N.J. Roosa Co.F. 145, RIC PV", "E Pluribus Unum", and "Union & Liberty

If anyone is interested in seeing pictures of it I can post them upon request.

I've never used a one of the pre-made kit things, but I have been looking into prices for briar burls. My father does quite a bit of woodcarving and I've been talking with him about the two of us starting to make hand carved pipes as something that we may both enjoy. He does not smoke, and doesn't know I do because out of respect for my parents I do not smoke nor drink... or even talk of it around them. However he has always loved the smell of pipe tobacco because his father used to smoke a pipe quite regularly.

When I mentioned starting to make hand carved pipes, and more than likely branding our own label, it caught his interest. We'll see where things go from here... I'll be sure to keep you guys up to speed if/when we do start making them.

On a connected note, an ancestor of mine who was in the civil war, was a very prolific woodcarver who had carved a pipe while he was on the battlefield. It does not appear to have ever been used. The detail all around it is amazing. Along with the incredible patriotic pictures (Eagle, flags, shield, stars...), he has carved " Simeon N.J. Roosa Co.F. 145, RIC PV", "E Pluribus Unum", and "Union & Liberty

Pictures yes! Obviously, he wore blue.

Please do ! :thumbs:

The first picture is a tintype photo of Simeon, a neck slide thing that he made, the pipe he carved, and the lead pipe that he smoked from. The following four pictures are close ups of the pipe he carved to show more detail. I'm not sure why I don't have a picture of the front of the pipe, I'll need to bug my mother for it later.

Roosa.jpg

RoosaPipe1.jpg

RoosaPipe2.jpg

RoosaPipe3.jpg

RoosaPipe4.jpg

That's a very cool looking pipe. Thanks for sharing. I don't know about smoking from the lead one, though! :)

I agree, I would never smoke from a lead pipe, but back then they didn't know the dangers of lead poisoning and it was a strong sturdy but small pipe for them to carry on the battlefield.

That's pretty darned nice looking! Ever think of having a stem made for it?

As a amature woodworker who always needs a project to keep my hands busy I decided to give this a go. I ended up ordering two pre-bored plateaux briar blocks with lucite stems from here . One will be bored for a straight pipe and the other curved (this one will be a little larger), so we'll see how this goes. If people are interested I can post pics of my progess as I go along in this or a seperate thread.

Wish me luck!