• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CCNA

sporkd2

So I found they have a CISCO testing center here at Camp Victory and I have been studying my arse off to get my CCNA.

I am taking part one ISDN1 friday. Any helpful tips that anyone can give me? I am having a hard time finding practice questions and tests so anything like that would be great.

If not, wish me luck!

Good luck.
I took the 640-802 last year.
I failed it the first time and passed the second.
I took it all at once, I did not know you could take in parts.

If your email can handle a 4 meg file, I can send you a pretty good pdf test prep doc.

I took it in two parts. Google is crammed with tests. Good luck. I will see if I can find something for you.

I think I found what you are looking for on rapidshare I will send it to you.

There a couple of pdf files coming your way to your .mil address.
One is for the 802 test and the other is for the 822.

Good luck with the test.

This should go without saying, but I hope you're learning the material and not learning the test.... ;) I have to deal with a load of ITT "paper" CCNAs over here and nothing pisses me off more.

Good luck on the test and study hard - it's not an easy one.

-John

Good luck!

I actually have access to a lot of cram sheets and study materials for various certification tests. PM me if you're interested.

This should go without saying, but I hope you're learning the material and not learning the test.... ;) I have to deal with a load of ITT "paper" CCNAs over here and nothing pisses me off more.

Good luck on the test and study hard - it's not an easy one.

-John

I have been studying like an animal for this. I really love networking and want to make it my career. I also agree that people shouldnt learn a test but actually study the material.

I just want to make sure im 100% ready for any off the wall questions that might come up so I can pay my money and only have to take it once.

a BIG X2 on that one John. I teach CCNA classes and will NOT have my students using these brain dumps. Cisco is the real deal. The tests are a bitch, but they are straight up.

Your clues for the day are as follows....Make sure you can subnet in your sleep. A large portion of the ???'s involve subnetting to get a final answer.

Make sure you understand ACL's. Alot of the if I moved this ACL from this interface to this interface, the net result would be A,B,C, or D

Know your Switching and Trunking.

and make sure you know those 2 famous brothers NAT and PAT.. ahahahahaha

Hope that helps. If theres anything I can do to help you out give a yell

Art

a BIG X2 on that one John. I teach CCNA classes and will NOT have my students using these brain dumps. Cisco is the real deal. The tests are a bitch, but they are straight up.

Your clues for the day are as follows....Make sure you can subnet in your sleep. A large portion of the ???'s involve subnetting to get a final answer.

Make sure you understand ACL's. Alot of the if I moved this ACL from this interface to this interface, the net result would be A,B,C, or D

Know your Switching and Trunking.

and make sure you know those 2 famous brothers NAT and PAT.. ahahahahaha

Hope that helps. If theres anything I can do to help you out give a yell

Art

Subnetting I have down well, thanks to subnettingquestions.com

ACL, VLAN, NAT and PAT are covered in ICND2. ICDN1 is the basics and I feel I have a comfortable grasp on must if not all of it. Just want some practice tests to do myself for some extra studying.

Thanks for all the help everyone

What books are you using to study from..??

Art

**edit to add another thought..

I am also curious as to why you are choosing to do the 2 part route to CCNA instead of taking 640-802 directly. I teach the 802 class mostly. I have found a large number of students get overwhelmed when they split it into 2 parts and dont return for the second part. So I figure if your going to have a brain meltdown (and you will by the time you done with Cisco) then make it all in one shot..ahahahah
just curious..

Mostly because when im deployed I have a limited time to study. Studying half the material at a time allows me to put it down for a day or two at a time because work gets in the way. I was going to do 802 but this way if I get the CCENT and dont have time to finish the CCNA I can at least try to find a junior level network admin job when I get home.

Its a shame that those things are taken so seriously. So, they've figured out how to gouge you twice for the CCNA?

Best techs I've ever hired were certifiable, but not certified. As an engineer, I was certified Tempest because en employer paid for it. I took the EIT in college, but have never certified anything since. Don't think I ever will, either. All they prove is that you can take a test.

All they prove is that you can take a test.

You can argue that about any certification, if you really want. It's _one_ measure of a person's competence, but certainly shouldn't be the only one. I wouldn't base a hiring decision on a certification along, but making it a requirement implies a certain level of experience/training that's then verified in the interview process.

I was hoping to get my CCNP while over here, but there's really no drive to do it anymore. I'm tired. I've got two years of school after this where I'll be more in the mindset for testing. :)

Its a shame that those things are taken so seriously. So, they've figured out how to gouge you twice for the CCNA?

Best techs I've ever hired were certifiable, but not certified. As an engineer, I was certified Tempest because en employer paid for it. I took the EIT in college, but have never certified anything since. Don't think I ever will, either. All they prove is that you can take a test.

First, taking the two separate costs the same as taking them together. The benefit is you are a CCENT after passing the first one. CCNA is after taking the second one.

Second, some people don't get the opportunity to get hired without any formal experience. If I could get my foot into the door with a company then I wouldn't be so concentrated on getting a certification. I am hoping that with this and my military experience I can find a decent job when I return home.

Third, why do you feel the need to post something negative in a thread where a person is trying to improve his life and his overall future career? I am deployed and not only dealing with the absolute madness of this crap, but trying to improve myself at the same time. Its not easy, but negativity sure doesn't help.

I dont want to stir up any crap, but sheesh

Third, why do you feel the need to post something negative in a thread where a person is trying to improve his life and his overall future career? I am deployed and not only dealing with the absolute madness of this crap, but trying to improve myself at the same time. Its not easy, but negativity sure doesn't help.

I dont want to stir up any crap, but sheesh

Ley me try to speak to this as I teach these classes every day. I dont think (and I dont want to speak for NullSmurf here), but I think he has a very valid point. I dont think this was specifically directed at you sporkd2, but was directed to a disgusting trend that seems to be taking over the IT fields. With the economy in the crapper one of the few fields that are still hiring people is IT. I expect that this is a major reason why our classes are booked solid. The sad part is that there are SO many techs coming forward now with certifications that know absolutely nothing about the topic they are certified in. I see it way to often. Part of my job responsibilities include running a student Mentoring program at our school. I cant even count how many guys/gals have come to me for help with (and lets use M$ for this example), for help with a specific class they are working for MSCE. These are folks that actually SHOULD have at least half a freakin clue what a Group Policy is or what an OU is in Active Directory and when I question them about it I just get the 'deer in the headlights look'. When I question them alittle more about how they made it this far I cant count how many times I've heard "Well I just studied the test questions and passed". It really is sad to hear this more times than not.

Its usually a little different for the Cisco folks. Cisco is a hard ass test and with good reason. They weed people out instead of allowing the know-nothings to pass forward. Another thing I like about the Cisco line is that all testing is adaptive testing. There is 'no set' of definite answers. The question you get are determined by what you get right and what you get wrong. If you get an answer wrong, expect to see at least 3 or 4 more questions that are in the same venue. Their simulations are real life sims. They are things that can and do happen in the real world. The is a major reason why so many less people are Cisco certified or knowledgable than M$.

Dont know if that helps any, but the bottomline is know your material and use that knowledge as an extra tool in your toolbox.

Art

***edit to add additional thoughts...

As far as CCENT cert goes, well its nice to have but dont put too much weight on it. The real value is in the CCNA and CCNP. I have recruiters come to the school often. One of the trends in todays market is NOT to hire new folks directly into companies. They are hired on as contractors for a specific period. This saves the emplorer lots of benifit cash and also gives them a chance to check out your work ethic, general knowledge and whether you should end up on the possible employable list. The guys that work out are usually the ones that get the callbacks for fulltime positions. So dont worry too much about not having the exerience and dont go into a job thinking they will hand you the keys routing tables right away either. ;) It will happen for those who prove that they SHOULD be in the position they are there for.

I thought I would chime in since I work for the company. We have really made an effort to make the test less read, pass, and forget. Several years ago we got a lot of feedback about how many people out there were taking sample tests and passing the CCNA without any real world experice and we tried to make them worth something. There were a lot of people getting an MCSE and a CCNA and getting jobs based on it and then when they got in the position they had no idea what to do. So now you will find the tests are more diffcult from several points. You now dont have the option to go back, you answer the question and move on. You will find more simulators and labs in the exam and the questions are well beyond the basic networking level. Hope this helps a little bit. I dont have anything to do with the Certification process for the company but if want any info or practice documentation, let me know and I will get you what I can.

-gp

Matt, you're gunna fail. ;)

:laugh: Just kidding buddy!!! Drink some of the coffee I sent ya & study your arse off!! You'll pass bro, I have full confidence in you!

-Aaron