• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CD's/MP3's vs. LP's

cincycigarman

Does anyone here still listen to their records, or am I the only one?

The recent thread on the Bose sound-dock got me thinking. In my office, I have my iMac sitting front and center, and directly to my right, I have my stereo and turntable.

I'm not one to be overly sentimental. I love my iPods, I have several and use them religiously. For ease of use and portability, etc, the CD and now the MP3 player cannot be beat, and I fully embrace the technology. But these do not compare to the warmth and sound of an LP, and I really enjoy spinning an old record and putting on the headphones, especially on a cold wintery day.

Someone gave me this turntable. I bent the arm on my old one and took it to the Goodwill a few years ago. Were it not someone giving me one, I would still have my records boxed up in the basement. I would encourage anyone to rediscover their record collection (if you still have them boxed up somewhere). I think just getting the LP out of the sleeve and lifting the needle will take you down memory lane....

Anyone else out there still spin a record from time to time?

I still have my collection of LPs from the 70's and early 80's, but alas, nothing to play them on! :(

After reading this, maybe I'll hunt down a turntable and re-visit a few of those old Kiss, Rush and Judas Priest albums. :D

I was in a position to collect LP's for a number of years. Before engineering school, during the 80's, I worked in a "high end" audio store and also did some work for one of the local "AOR" (album oriented rock) FM stations who usually paid me in pretty choice LP's.

I still have my collection but they are all boxed up. I don't have a turntable, but do have a brand new very nice Signet phono cartridge in a box waiting for the day when I decide to purchase a turntable and play my records....or catalog them and put the whole mess on eBay.... :p

After reading this, maybe I'll hunt down a turntable and re-visit a few of those old Kiss, Rush and Judas Priest albums. :D
You can buy the CD's off Amazon for a couple of bucks. I just bought three "old school" Aerosmith CD's and a couple of Alice Cooper's early disks. Five disks for about $25.00.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I have a bunch of my dad's old LP's. My g/f recently got me a turn table and I was listening to them until my stereo started to show its age. Turned to vol. all the way up on the stereo and couldn't hear anything.

I still listen/collect LP's. I have just about all of Eric Claptons stuff on vinyl. Just hard to find them around here in nice condition.

Any good, reliable online record stores that has used LPs?

I have ~330 LPs (was never into 45s) and have some real collector items.

I'll still listen to one once in a while and think back to how much I looked forward to getting a new album.

Just a few weeks ago I listened to ELP - Brain Salad Surgery and Bloodrock - Passage. Ohhhhhhh the memories. Quite different to listen to 'em straight too!!!

I have well over 2300 albums and maybe 100 12" singles with 2 working turntables. One is equipped with an Audio-Technica OC-9 moving coil cartridge and the other is a Signet moving coil. I also have a Stanton 681EEE stashed away somewhere as a spare. I'd say I still listen to a few albums a week.

I certainly still listen to mine. To me they sound much better than any digital medium. I have a VPI turntable with a 10lb acrylic plater, Audioquest tone arm and Blue Point cartridge. It all runs into a Accurus phono pre-amp via Audioquest Ruby cables and then into my PS Audio pre-amp via same cables then onto my B&K ST-140 Power Amp. All these componets were hand made in the USA with the finnest resistors and capactors and other components available.
Yup I'm nuts.

Doc.

Nice setup DOC. I was seriously considering a Sumiko when I bought my AT. I got a killer price on the AT and that was the decision maker. I run a passive step-up transformer into my preamp and that seems to work for me.

Nice setup DOC. I was seriously considering a Sumiko when I bought my AT. I got a killer price on the AT and that was the decision maker. I run a passive step-up transformer into my preamp and that seems to work for me.
15 years ago, you and I could have had some interesting conversations about the merits of different high end audio components. However about 10 yrs ago I came to the realization that I was listing to the equipment, instead of the music. I quit reading audio mags and started listening to the music. I am now less neurotic and a much happier man.

Doc.

You can buy the CD's off Amazon for a couple of bucks. I just bought three "old school" Aerosmith CD's and a couple of Alice Cooper's early disks. Five disks for about $25.00.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I hear you, Tom. I actually own most of the CDs and most have been converted to MP3's. I was just thinking that it might be nice to listen to the old LPs, with all of the inherent hisses, pops and scratches. I'm sure I abused them royally back in the day! :)

I'm still holding on to over 500 LP's (re-buying a good portion of them on CD). I have my old Pioneer SA 9100 integrated amp in my attic (intermittent problem- too expensive to fix- but gawd I love the sound of that thing and can't bring myself to get rid of it). Used to have an AR fully manual turntable with the good old Stanton 681 EEE. No longer have the two big Marantz speakers that I painstakingly chose for this system.
Since I've gone through about three new-fangled receivers that have quickly crapped out, I now use an old (1960's?) Fischer receiver that was my dad's and is still working fine. About 10 years ago, I bought a cheap-o Techniqs turntable but don't have a stable enough place in the living room to operate it. :angry:

Greetings! Yes, I have a turntable, and I still enjoy listening to my vinyls. I recently purchased some LP's online from Nina's Discount Oldies to add to my collection. I also enjoy my CD's. I don't listen to my cassettes as often. Enjoy your music, everyone! Regards, knightlaird