• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chainsaws

Looks like I am swaying that way Doc. Its just hard for me to pay another man for my labor, I am so used to doing thing myself LOL. But your right, not worth putting myself or anyone else out of commision. I do appreciatte all the help everyone has given, but looks like this one is going to the pro's

Mark

Discretion is the better part of valor. Wise move. I can't tell you how many professionals my wife has seen in the ER.

Doc.

The last time I dropped a tree, it fell exactly 180 from where I planned it to fall. Nobody got hurt, but I got to talk to my insurance agent a couple of times and we both met with my neighbor, who being the man he was, still talked to me and bought my kids fireworks until the day he died several years later.

Also, worst bruise ever. Covered the whole top of my right thigh and turned a very nasty dark purple color. Lasted for weeks.

I learned (after the fact) from my insurance agent that if the tree had hit my own house (instead of my neighbor's shed), I wouldn't have been able to file a claim. Drop a tree on your neighbors house. No problem, you're covered. Drop a tree on your own house? You are screwed!

In case anybody else reads this thread...I'd suggest buying one of the many good chainsaws recommended in this thread (I own a Stihl 026 with an extended bar). The most important thing is to get one you can get parts for...I'd choose more based on the local shop than on the saw itself. You'll be buying parts (new chains and bars, oil) for the life of the saw, so get one you can fix or get fixed locally.

Also, best chainsaw advice ever:
When you are done with the saw, sharpen the blade, clean it, drain the gas out of it and run it dry. Then choke it and run it dry again. Stow it somewhere safe (in a case is nice).

You can get it out in a month or a year, put gas in it and it will start! (nothing like pulling on a saw that won't start.....).

Personally, I always try to do my heavy cutting in the winter when it's cooler, preferably early on a Sunday morning the night after our neighbors have had a real late-night party, but that's just me. :whistling:

It wasn't my first tree nor was it my 100th either. Doc's opinion notwithstanding I say you can always give it a try. Think of it as a learning experience.

I'm a huge Stihl fan. Husqvarnas are nice machines too.

Both are on the pricey side but you shouldn't skimp on a chainsaw. Avoid the lame-assed Homelites and Poulans like the plague. :laugh: McCullochs are generally on the chintzy side as well....

Husqvarna 350.

Cut up a lot of firewood with it. The first summer it had an annoying tendency to vibrate loose the screws holding on the orange plastic engine covering pieces, but that was minor and easily fixable.

Looks like I am swaying that way Doc. Its just hard for me to pay another man for my labor, I am so used to doing thing myself LOL. But your right, not worth putting myself or anyone else out of commision. I do appreciatte all the help everyone has given, but looks like this one is going to the pro's

Mark

If you calculate how many hours of work you lose if you get hurt and how much it could cost if things go wrong, then the cost of professional help is a bargain.

I agree with the post a couple up about going to see what a local shop likes to deal with. If you use a chainsaw a decent amount, now matter the brand, you will need some replacement parts. Whether its a plastic choke switch, or a new chain, its nice to have it close by. I work for a landscaping company in the summers and we use stihl and echo. I would also check out renting one, most places will let you rent one for really cheap if you show interest in buying that model.

I agree with the post a couple up about going to see what a local shop likes to deal with. If you use a chainsaw a decent amount, now matter the brand, you will need some replacement parts. Whether its a plastic choke switch, or a new chain, its nice to have it close by. I work for a landscaping company in the summers and we use stihl and echo. I would also check out renting one, most places will let you rent one for really cheap if you show interest in buying that model.

Good point slip! :thumbs:

Probably the main reason I tend towards Stihl is because one of my high school buddy's family owns the Beaver Brook Saw Shop (<linky) in Scotland, CT and all they pretty much sell and service are Stihls.

One thing to be very careful of is the darn gasoline nowadays is so $hitty that DO NOT mix a gallon with two stroke oil and let it sit around for any length of time (more than a couple of months maximum) or you'll be making a trip back to your shop to have them rebuild the carburetor. :whistling: Whatever additives they put in gasoline these days seems to have an affinity for water and over time, your mix will wind up with so much water in it, you'll fock up your saw.

Oh yeah, I hit lots of rocks so I need to get my chains sharpened quite a bit.. :whistling: I bought one of those fancy Oregon chain sharpeners like my shop has but apparently I'm either too uncoordinated or too stupid to figure out how to use it so I just have the pros at my shop fix my chains for me. It only cost about $7.00 for them to sharpen one.

Yes we started on;y filling our fuel barrel at work the minimum delivery of 150 gallons and filling it more often each year. Saws, etc weren't starting lately. The saw repairman we use said they do the same. Gas is crap and we use farm grade (89 octane).

One thing to be very careful of is the darn gasoline nowadays is so $hitty that DO NOT mix a gallon with two stroke oil and let it sit around for any length of time (more than a couple of months maximum) or you'll be making a trip back to your shop to have them rebuild the carburetor. :whistling: Whatever additives they put in gasoline these days seems to have an affinity for water and over time, your mix will wind up with so much water in it, you'll fock up your saw.

Yes we started on;y filling our fuel barrel at work the minimum delivery of 150 gallons and filling it more often each year. Saws, etc weren't starting lately. The saw repairman we use said they do the same. Gas is crap and we use farm grade (89 octane).

It's the ethanol in gas. Most states have at least 5% ethanol in their gas (we have 10% here in MN). There's a new version of Sta-Bil out now that I use for the ethanol laden gas that we have up here. It works great and keeps the gas in much better condition. The old Sta-Bil does nothing for gas with ethanol in it.

By the way, I have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher chainsaw and love it.

I get this picture of George Hanson riding on the back of Billy's chopper after reading that Dave. :)

Yea, but my helmet is orange with a screen visor in front and earmuffs for protecting what is left of my hearing, instead of a football helmet! LOL! (Besides, I usually don't use a chainsaw while I'm riding a bike!)