• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Beetles

Turbolag

Noob
Hey everyone.

I was just looking at cigar beetles on google, and trying to learn more about them.

I had not heard of them until a couple weeks ago.

I don't understand how do they find your humidor ?? And how do they get in your house??

How do they get in your humidor ?? The crack between the lid and the base isn't very large.

So my humidor should be around 72 RH. I seasoned it and have te 72 Boveda packs in it.

I haven't ordered a digital hygrometer yet, but am in the process of doing so. Because of this I don't know the temperature in the humidor. I was thinking about moving the humidor into my bed room because it gets real cold in there because the door stays closed.

The room the humidor is in now can tend to get a little warm, should I make the move?

What are your experiences and stories with cigar beetles?

What do you all do to prevent them? I searched the forum and I didn't see a thread about keepin cigar beetles out.

I apologize if I missed a thread about this.

They come, in the form of eggs in your cigars. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Try  searching again, you'll find out all you need to know about the fuggers.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
They come, in the form of eggs in your cigars. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Try  searching again, you'll find out all you need to know about the fuggers.

Doc

Whoa....my jaw dropped when I read that. I just went back and searched some more. 

I definitely need to move my humidor. Problem is we keep the house around 75 degrees. So I'm not sure where in the house gets 70 or below. Maybe my bed room of my closet. 

I will have to check the temperature out and see. 

Thanks for the reply man. I had no idea they are embedded in the leaf   :0

Guess that shows I'm a newb. Haha

Just be vigilant in inspecting your cigars, or do a search on freezing them to kill the eggs as a insurance policy if you don't want to take any chances.

jfields said:
Just be vigilant in inspecting your cigars, or do a search on freezing them to kill the eggs as a insurance policy if you don't want to take any chances.
Thanks for the advice. Read up on how to freeze them. I think any cigars I receive in the future I will freeze just to be safe.

The temperature in the room that the humidor is in stays around 75-78 F.

I might move the humidor to another room that stays at 75 F.

Once you freeze them and put them back into the humidor, the beetle concern is finished right? Beetles can't find their way into your house and such can they?

Thanks for the tips.

There's is some disagreement as to how cold one's freezer must get to actually kill the eggs. Some believe their kitchen freezer is adequate, others, like me, believe it takes a commercial freezer capable of -40F. My advice is, don't buy cheap cigars. Most of the major well known makers take precautions. I don't buy off-brands from the well known internet vendors. I've never had a beetle problem in 40yrs. So calm down and enjoy the hobby.

Doc

I'm with Doc in this one (As I would never disagree with him lol) I've researched and read a lot and it seems that the average freezer will only kill the larva and not the eggs. For the eggs to crack in the process you'll need a 'deep'freeze freezer that will attain -40f.

Thanks guys. I don't think I'm gonna worry about it the .

Just one last question. If the cigar does have eggs in it dead or not, when you light up the cigar are you smoking the eggs? Is that unhealthy in anyway?

I also was reading on google about the debate between a household freezer and feel freezer. Found some different opinions.

But I don't think I'll worry about it.

If you hear a snap, crackle and pop while smoking, it's probably the eggs. Trust me, the cigar itself does more harm to your body than the eggs.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
If you hear a snap, crackle and pop while smoking, it's probably the eggs. Trust me, the cigar itself does more harm to your body than the eggs.

Doc
Haha thanks man.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Devil Doc said:
There's is some disagreement as to how cold one's freezer must get to actually kill the eggs. Some believe their kitchen freezer is adequate, others, like me, believe it takes a commercial freezer capable of -40F. My advice is, don't buy cheap cigars. Most of the major well known makers take precautions. I don't buy off-brands from the well known internet vendors. I've never had a beetle problem in 40yrs. So calm down and enjoy the hobby.

Doc
Wow Doc, that sounds like an invitation. :whistling:   Brave man. :laugh: