• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Box With A Bad Smell

Boomer52

Good Friends, Good Cigars
While I don't buy a lot of boxes of cigars, I have bought boxes of a few different brands including the one I just got. Never before have I received a box of cigars where the box itself actually smelled horrible. As soon as I unwrapped the box I was hit by the smell of pine mixed with some kind of what I think is a paint smell. The box was rough cut (pine?) and painted black. The printing with brand, size, etc. was gold colored.  Additionally, the latch on the front of the box had some rust on it. Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, what did you do?

I removed the cigars, which had the same smell on them, and put them in an almost empty box I already had in the wineadore. I am hoping the smell doesn't affect the cigars themselves and will dissipate.

That is a hard call to make. What manufacturer are they from? A reputable one would probably take them back. If so, it's best to get that ball rolling right away.

They are Rocky Patel Old World Reserve Maduro, Robustos. The on line source I bought them from had them backordered so they were fairly fresh from the manufacturer/distributor. Unfortunately, the box smelled so bad I tossed it. A few days later I thought that was a mistake. Can't return them now.

You're most likely smelling exactly what you described, the pine and whatever lacquer the manufacturer of the box used in the finish work.  I remember when I bought the MF LE 2010 I had this same issue.  The box and individual coffins were extremely heavy with lacquer and the smell was almost unbearable.  I just took them all out and set the box aside.

Hopefully with time in the wine-o-dor the cigars will be fine.

Well the cigars have been sitting in the wine-o-dor for a little over two weeks. Most of the smell is gone so I fired one up last night. Looks like they are just fine. No detectable bad odor or taste in the cigars. I am still surprised a manufacturer would ship in boxes that smelled that strongly of lacquer and wood.

I've received a box of 5 Vegas years ago that had strong paint smell.  They turned out as good as they could.  :laugh:

Boomer52 said:
Well the cigars have been sitting in the wine-o-dor for a little over two weeks. Most of the smell is gone so I fired one up last night. Looks like they are just fine. No detectable bad odor or taste in the cigars. I am still surprised a manufacturer would ship in boxes that smelled that strongly of lacquer and wood.

Not the first time... ;)

Rod said:

Not the first time... ;)

Not the last time!

bluue13 said:

Not the first time... ;)

Not the last time!

How common is this?

I have only bumped into it once over many boxes of cigars.