• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Cases

Cigar FF

Reaction score
I've been using a Rockwell 3-Cigar case to travel back and forth to work with. I like the fact that it protects the cigars when being banged around. It is lined with cedar and I'm curious if this is hurting my cigars.

I recently noticed, when I put the case back in my Lock and Lock after being out for about a day, the humidity dropped 10-15%. I don't expect it to retain the RH for 4+ days but I expect it to retain for at a minimum, 2 days. I put it in my Lock & Lock b/c the RH is rock solid 98% of the time and never has any trouble recovering when some drier cigars make it in there.

I'm aware this case dries out but I leave it in the Lock & Lock when not in use and have attempted to season the case 2 times. I've even wiped the interior cedar down with a damp cloth to see if that helped. No dice.

Am I doing something wrong here or is it time to find a new short term, portable case? Is there a life expentency on these types of cases? I got it 2-3 years ago. I have a larger travel case but it's too big to throw in my backpack which is why this 3 cigar case is so convenient.I really enjoy the size of it but not at the expense of drying cigars out, which I've noticed that they have been a little dry lately.

I use a plastic baggie and small humidipak in my Atoll 3 cigar cases that have the removeable dividers. I usually take petit or regular coronas in a case if I think I need to keep the cigars humidified. Also have used regular tubo tubes in the case to keep the cigars fresher.

I also have some 2 cigar cases that have two heavier gauge aluminum cylinders with great screwtops. 

In my experience, the cedar lined cases are good for 1 day if you keep them humidified. 

Thanks for the response MadMonk. I may have set my expectations a little high with this case. 

A plastic baggie is a great idea that I overlooked and would probably solve the issue. Who makes the aluminum cylinder cigar case you mentioned? 

Cigar FF said:
Thanks for the response MadMonk. I may have set my expectations a little high with this case. 

A plastic baggie is a great idea that I overlooked and would probably solve the issue. Who makes the aluminum cylinder cigar case you mentioned? 

Cigar Classics. I've never found anything under about 5.5 or so inches. Mine are the two counts but, I think they have a 3 count.
Very nice quality. Very limited selection.

You're case shouldn't hold humidity for that long...it's not intended too.

Just throw a large humi-pak in the loknlok.

Probably get away with putting the case and a humpack in a zip lock.

Or get one of the travel Humi-pak bags.

Or get this....(or make your own from a Tubo.

http://www.prometheuskkp.com/products/humidors/accessory/tube.htm

Then pick up a 4-5 finger case:

http://www.fuenteagedselection.com/main/product/fuentestory2011-box.htm

Or pay too much for one of these on Wingtip ;)

http://wingtip.com/product/brizard-co/travel-show-band-humidor/41133

I use a 15ct. Otter Box. They make smaller ones. They are air tight, water proof and just about indestructible. With a humidification device, they'll hold humidity longer than you require.They are not pretty. Highly recommended.

Doc

I have a five count like the last link Grateful posted. That works too with the humidipaks. I also like that tube grateful1 posted.
Also have a "Black ops" case similar to what doc posted about. It is pretty short so, robustos and the like but, I paid just a few bucks for it on one of the Auctions done by Famous or CI. 
Depends if you want a true pocket job with nice looks, or just a functional one.
I have a lot of cases. My nicest, imo, are my Atolls. Beautiful cases. My favorite, a plain leather simple style 2 piece.

I guess I thought this case would hold RH a little longer. No loss. You have to learn someway right?

I have a larger travel case which I use for trips. What I'm looking for is something to take with me back and forth to work that is durable. I usually take 3 cigars with me and make a game time decision on which to smoke. I don't always have the opportunity to get the case or cigars back into a RH friendly environment right away. My initial thoughts were the cedar lined case would keep the humidity longer then just leather or something else. 

I am going to look over the options posted here. Thank you guys, for your recommendations. 

At the present, I don't think looks matter. Something that is functional and can protect the cigars is my main concerns. 

Devil Doc said:
I use a 15ct. Otter Box. They make smaller ones. They are air tight, water proof and just about indestructible. With a humidification device, they'll hold humidity longer than you require.They are not pretty. Highly recommended.

Doc
I have a 10ct and 2ct and agree,if size isn't an issue. The 2ct is to big to fit comfortable into a pocket, so on most occasion I find myself tossing sticks in the 10ct. The seal on these are second to none. I've taken them on a plane and had to use a butter knife to break the seal. They are virtually indestructible and float. A couple of different companies make them, make sure to get one with full length piano hinges

If you go with a pocket style, remember to try just using plain old cigar tubes inside. I smoke a lot of petit coronas so, those tubes fit great, and keep the telescopic ones short.

Any recommendations on a good 2 ct for the pocket?  Just want something to go out on the town with that isnt bulging. 

Peterk814 said:
Any recommendations on a good 2 ct for the pocket?  Just want something to go out on the town with that isnt bulging. 

I don't usually get complaints about bulging.   :whistling:   

Peterk814 said:

Nothing I know of other than a plain leather two piece size specific case. I have a 2 count Montecristo for Petite Coronas, and a 3 count that will hold 50 RG and down. I do like these sort of case most IF I'm putting it in my pocket. All that said, nothing, imo, beats saving your regular cigar tubes and throwing a couple in your pocket.

I have a buitifull Atoil case that was gifted to me about 15 years ago, it holds 3 sticks upwards of a 52g ea. I also have an inexpensive leather case for corona's and smaller. But when I only want one and I'm not sure where I'll be when I put fire to stick I usually just put something in a old aluminum tube. It's not rocket science.

thinde said:
I have a buitifull Atoil case that was gifted to me about 15 years ago, it holds 3 sticks upwards of a 52g ea. I also have an inexpensive leather case for corona's and smaller. But when I only want one and I'm not sure where I'll be when I put fire to stick I usually just put something in a old aluminum tube. It's not rocket science.

Atolls are the nicest I know of. I have two. Got both at a steal. Not sure if they are still made. I love the removable/re-positional dividers. They're supposedly reinforced with Aluminum but have never been able to verify.

Oh. They are a little more bulky than a plain leather deal.