• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar ignorance and inconsistencies

lbrief

Just rented Gothica the other night. There is a scene where the prison warden gives his employee a cigar and says, “smoke it tonight while it’s Fresh”. Now, I know there are a lot of ways to interpret that, but smoking a “FRESH” cigar just isn’t something that most smokers look forward to.

In “The Toy” Jackie Gleason gives Richard Pryor a cigar and teaches him how to bite the end off of it. Now, I know biting is an acceptable method. But, Gleason was playing a billionaire. Ironically, this character owned a helicopter, a mansion, a newspaper, a department store, but he did not own a cigar cutter. Huh?

Well, I just thought this might make an interesting thread. If you’re an obsessive-compulsive stickler for details like I am, then post your observations. If not, just ignore the topic, it will be off page one by the end of the day.

Besides fresh rolled which some people like maybe it was fresh out ot the box? As far as biting, I have a friend from school days that is an investment banker....$500K+ a year and he bites the end off his torps. Not a billionaire but as close as I'm gonna get to one.

lbrief said:
Well, I just thought this might make an interesting thread. If you’re an obsessive-compulsive stickler for details like I am, then post your observations. If not, just ignore the topic, it will be off page one by the end of the day.
I noticed something on CSI that I thought was inaccurate. The lead investegator (trimmed beard) was examining cigar ashes and said, "there is Propylene Glycol in the ashes, and only Cuban cigars have Propylene Glycol in em". So they found thire guy looking for the Cuban connection.

Do some makers put PG on the leaves? I thought some did. Only Cubans? Or do all cigars stored in a humi with a PG solution absorb at least a scant amount of PG?

No, that was wrong in CSI. Only store bought cigars have PG in them. Almost everything you buy at the tobacconist doesnt have PG in them.
Emo

lbrief said:
Just rented Gothica the other night. There is a scene where the prison warden gives his employee a cigar and says, “smoke it tonight while it’s Fresh”. Now, I know there are a lot of ways to interpret that, but smoking a “FRESH” cigar just isn’t something that most smokers look forward to.
I'm guessing they meant before it dries out?

moki said:
I'm guessing they meant before it dries out?
You know Moki. . . you and AVB have tunnel vision. :p :D :D Duh!, of course he meant before it dries out. ;) I said in my initial post that there are lots of ways to interpret the statement. But the point is, this actor was portraying a “Cigar Smoker”. And, when a cigar smoker hands a nonsmoker a cigar, he will say, “smoke it before it dries out” he won’t likely say “smoke it while it’s fresh”. Did you ever tell someone to smoke a cigar “while it’s fresh”?

I know that example was a “reach” in terms of a Hollywood inaccuracy. But I was saving some of the easier ones for you guys. (e.g. in the Matrix, when Cipher (sp?) is sitting at the dinner table selling out his pals with a smoking a cigar, then in the next cut the cigar is brand new and he proceeds to light it . Or. . . Arnold’s disappearing/reappearing cigar burn in T2).

Common people, put your thinking caps on. :p

HEY! I didn't say anything about drying out. And yes, I have been told to "Smoke it while it's fresh." See my above comment about fresh rolled smokes.

AVB said:
HEY! I didn't say anything about drying out. And yes, I have been told to "Smoke it while it's fresh." See my above comment about fresh rolled smokes.
One of the explanations you offered was “. . .fresh out of the box” which for all intents and purposes is like saying “before it dries out”. It doesn’t matter really, I was mostly replying to Moki, and I figured I’d mention your name, so you would reply, and I’d get to see more of that lovely cigar girl. :D

:0 In "Trading Places" w/ Eddie Murphy, a box of Cuban Montie #2s come w/ cello on.

on 'Sex and The City' [yeah, a female friend turned me on and it's kinda good], one main guy says "I only smoke Cohibas" and in almost everyother one he is smoking RyJs.

How about Independence Day. Will Smith produces a tubed cigar and pulls the head end out first.

A little twist.......

I watched Patton this weekend on AMC (George C. Scott) and was wondering what kind of sticks they have him holding (some white on the band and looked to be fatter than a corona, but not quite a churchill).

Speaking of Churchill......I also saw the IKE movie on A&E (Tom Sellek). Does anyone know what Churchill smoked? He was actually smoking them too (they looked pretty good) My favorite part was when everyone torched up in Monty's HQ.........Classic in your face-ism.

And what is that smoke Gunny Highway (Clint Eastwood) pulls from the dead Cuban in Heart Break ridge? And for that matter, what does he turn down from that kiss-ass supply weenie at the beginning of the movie?

M. Gipson ???

gawntrail said:
And what is that smoke Gunny Highway (Clint Eastwood) pulls from the dead Cuban in Heart Break ridge? And for that matter, what does he turn down from that kiss-ass supply weenie at the beginning of the movie?

M. Gipson ???
Dont let Stogieman hear that supply weenie talk! In the rear with the gear....LOL

Emo

gawntrail said:
Speaking of Churchill......I also saw the IKE movie on A&E (Tom Sellek). Does anyone know what Churchill smoked?
During WWII RyJ supplied an unlimited amount of their Churchills for him. My guess is he smoked a lot of them :D