• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Insurance

Deployed Humidor

Why do tobacco shops close so early?
After 2 months on board I realize that I have and will continue to have a significant amount of money invested in my cigars. Has anyone experienced a loss of their stash and filed a claim with their insurance company?

Generally speaking, will home owner's/renter's insurance cover the loss of my sticks if my house burns down, my basement floods or a tree comes through my roof on top of my humidor?

Cheers,

Tony

P.S. Please resist the urge to reference the case of the NC lawyer who lost his rare & expensive stash to a "series of small fires"!

When I bought my new house I added in my cigar collection for my home owners. They didnt ask me to take any pictures, just estimated my investment and put it into the policy.

I'm in the insurance business and I don't recall ever seeing any exclusions against tobacco products. As long as the cause of the loss is covered you should be OK; unless your insurance company has added an exclusion against tobacco products.

As "sporkd2" said you may be able to add your cigar collection as an endorsed item. The insurance company would charge you extra for the value of your collection. Typically the charge is normally $ 10.00/year per $ 100.00 of insured value.

The best thing to do is to check with your insurance company.

When I got my Home owners Ins last year, I informed my agent that I wanted to insure my cigars & Humidors for $10,000 & he wrote it into the policy.

Is it considered fraud if I have mine insured against fire damage and file a claim every time I smoke?

http://www.lloyds.com/ Good luck! ;)

I work in insurance. I sell property and causality, and I have discussed this before. The only people that would need something that extreme is someone like Moki, or Atuck. Someone who have $1,000's if not $10,000's invested into this. Even then, you would need to provide documentation for everything you buy. No insurance company is going to cut your a check for Cuban cigars either... If you were serious, Lloyd's would be the best place. We write certain items through them, that you couldn't normally do here. Again, good luck!

Is it considered fraud if I have mine insured against fire damage and file a claim every time I smoke?

That's a country song. Brad Paisley, "The Cigar Song".