• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Producers and growers

scthornton

Does anyone know how many cigar producers actually grow their own tobacco? Just curious. I assume the ISOM companies do, Fuentes etc.

Do others buy from farmers? Tatuaje for example, one of my favorites, some of them are rolled in Miami, does that mean that they bought the tobacco from another company and shipped it here?

If anyone can share a good link or some good information, I would appreciate it. Just trying to learn more about my expensive habit! Also, if anyone can shed some light on blends that go into a cigar. I remember from one of the Fuente videos where they discuss a couple different types of leaves go into a cigar, with the wrapper obviously being different too.

Thanks.

I thought tats were made at the torano factory now?

Does anyone know how many cigar producers actually grow their own tobacco? Just curious. I assume the ISOM companies do, Fuentes etc.

Do others buy from farmers? Tatuaje for example, one of my favorites, some of them are rolled in Miami, does that mean that they bought the tobacco from another company and shipped it here?

If anyone can share a good link or some good information, I would appreciate it. Just trying to learn more about my expensive habit! Also, if anyone can shed some light on blends that go into a cigar. I remember from one of the Fuente videos where they discuss a couple different types of leaves go into a cigar, with the wrapper obviously being different too.

Thanks.

sc, most of the major manufacturer's produce some of their own tobacco. To my knowledge none use exlusively their own tobacco for their entire production.
As to your second question. Pepin does buy his tobacco from other farmers and ships it to Miami for that production. For example, I sell him filler, binder, and wrappers some of which I know he sends back to Miami.

I thought tats were made at the torano factory now?

Mrepp, I don't think so. Pepin has his own facility in Esteli now.

Many of the Tatuaje/Pepin higher end stuff is still rolled in Miami - Brown Label, Cojonu, RCC, Cabaiguan, Padilla Miami, Habana Leon, etc...

Correct. The only Tats not rolled here in Miami are the red labels. Don Pepin black labels are also rolled in the Esteli factory. But the Pepin blues and the Serie JJ are still Miami babies.

Correct. The only Tats not rolled here in Miami are the red labels. Don Pepin black labels are also rolled in the Esteli factory. But the Pepin blues and the Serie JJ are still Miami babies.

The Series P's (white labels) are rolled in Esteli in Nicaragua as well.

The Series P's (white labels) are rolled in Esteli in Nicaragua as well.

Yep, indeed. But in terms of Tats, I only go for the brown labels here in Miami, though I have had a few of the reds. I'd actually all but forgotten the whites. Thanks Moki.

Don Pepin black labels are also rolled in the Esteli factory.

I'll be damned, I had never noticed that. I just assumed all the lines bearing his name were rolled in Miami. I'm a big fan of the Cuban Classic, regardless of where it's made.

Thanks.

Hello scthornton -

I'm Pedro from Don Tuto puros from Costa Rica saw your posting and I would like to let you know that we have been growing tobacco in Costa Rica since 1993 for our Don TuTo. :) We are probably among the smaller producers out of Costa Rica.

Thanks.

Hello scthornton -

I'm Pedro from Don Tuto puros from Costa Rica saw your posting and I would like to let you know that we have been growing tobacco in Costa Rica since 1993 for our Don TuTo. :) We are probably among the smaller producers out of Costa Rica.

Pedro,

I have never been to Costa Rica but I hope to visit it one day. Everything I have heard is that it is a beautiful country. If I ever do get to go, you can bet I will check out the tobacco growers. Do you plant in May and harvest in September?? Thanks. :thumbs:

Carlos