• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigarpass Book Thread

I've not seen it. I typically stay away from his films.

Since JC goes incognito as a Russian, maybe there's a young Eastern Bloc actor that could do it. Basically anyone that isn't this decade's Nick Cage or Jude Law....lol

I hate to say it, but I think that Ben Affleck could probably pull it off -- maybe older JC. He's kind of cardboard, which is how I picture Clark, and if you've seen "The Accountant", you know he has the combat/weapons skills to do justice to the part. I really thought that Affleck would have made a good Jack Reacher; a hell of a lot better for that part than friggin' Tom Cruise was...

*EDIT* I'll have to give some thought to the young Eastern Bloc actors out there.

I hate to say it, but I think that Ben Affleck could probably pull it off -- maybe older JC. He's kind of cardboard, which is how I picture Clark, and if you've seen "The Accountant", you know he has the combat/weapons skills to do justice to the part. I really thought that Affleck would have made a good Jack Reacher; a hell of a lot better for that part than friggin' Tom Cruise was...

*EDIT* I'll have to give some thought to the young Eastern Bloc actors out there.
Affleck as John Clark? You are crazy.

Absolutely Harrison Ford. I don’t know who I think of when I think of Clark. Maybe a Charles Bronson with a few extra pounds.
Now who do you think of when you think of Jack Jr? That guy whose doing those shows on Amazon is not the guy I think off.
If we include deceased actors, who then? Gary Cooper? Maybe Orson Welles( younger and thinner version, obviously)? Marlon Brando but he would turn it down.
Frank Sinatra would be excellent, I think.
Ooh! Henry Fonda!!!

Last edited:
If we include deceased actors, who then? Gary Cooper? Maybe Orson Welles( younger and thinner version, obviously)? Marlon Brando but he would turn it down.
Frank Sinatra would be excellent, I think.
Ooh! Henry Fonda!!!

Garrett Dillahunt if he was younger. He does dark and crazy way too easy...
Liev's brother Pablo might could do it. He plays a pretty bad ass Leprechaun and was in the movie 13 hours.
Joel Kinnaman could fill the Eastern Bloc look from an untrained American eye.
Alexander Ludwig (Bjorn on Vikings) might be able to pull it off.
Gustaf Skargard (Floki on Vikings) does dark well.

Young Vinnie Jones
Young Ray Stevenson
Both make good bad guys.

Damn, I've got too much free time....lol

Garrett Dillahunt if he was younger. He does dark and crazy way too easy...
Liev's brother Pablo might could do it. He plays a pretty bad ass Leprechaun and was in the movie 13 hours.
Joel Kinnaman could fill the Eastern Bloc look from an untrained American eye.
Alexander Ludwig (Bjorn on Vikings) might be able to pull it off.
Gustaf Skargard (Floki on Vikings) does dark well.

Young Vinnie Jones
Young Ray Stevenson
Both make good bad guys.

Damn, I've got too much free time....lol

I really like Garrett Dillahunt as an actor, but I don't think he'd be right for the part. I could definitely see Joel Kinnaman doing it. He could pass for former Special Forces with little effort.

To get back on track, I'm currently reading "The Last Widow", by Karin Slaughter. I am not overly blown away by this book, honestly. She is one of my favorite authors, but it's just not holding my attention and drawing me in the way the rest of her novels have.

Looking forward to new Jack Reacher and Mitch Rapp offerings in the next few weeks, and we are coming up on the annual Bosch novel, as well. I'm also greatly anticipating the new Nelson DeMille book, too. Lots of good stuff to read coming out here in the near future!

Been reading the Hercule Poirot short stories by Agatha Christie.

It's continuously amusing how insightful she is on human psychology

To get back on track, I'm currently reading "The Last Widow", by Karin Slaughter. I am not overly blown away by this book, honestly. She is one of my favorite authors, but it's just not holding my attention and drawing me in the way the rest of her novels have.

Looking forward to new Jack Reacher and Mitch Rapp offerings in the next few weeks, and we are coming up on the annual Bosch novel, as well. I'm also greatly anticipating the new Nelson DeMille book, too. Lots of good stuff to read coming out here in the near future!
Have you ever checked out any of the Joe DeMarco books by Mike Lawson?

Anyone read Jeffery Deaver (Lincoln Rhyme series, among others)? I really like his full-length novels, but always feel let down by his short stories. He has a new one out, "Verona", and I guess they just lack the details and exposition that the novels have because I routinely get the impression that I'm reading a high school-level writing assignment based on the the basic characters and quick resolutions that feel like a cheap cop out. I do love most of his novels, but not so much his shorter works.

I'm currently starting "The Deserter", by Nelson DeMille and son. He's my favorite author, and has never let me down. Just wrapped up the new Jack Reacher book, which is, well, a Jack Reacher book. It was good, but if you've read one you've read them all. Still a worthy addition to the series, though.

A short story I recommend is "Leonardo and Gabriel", by Tim Tigner. It will give you a new perspective on God and religion, no matter where you stand on the topic.

With everyone being home I thought I would try and restart this thread to get/give some suggestions of books to read.

I recently finished "Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging" by Sebastian Junger. Junger also wrote the book "The Perfect Storm", which was later adapted into a feature film with George Clooney and Mark Wahlburg. Junger also made the Afgan War documentary "Restrepo"

The book explores what it means to be part of a group and the inherent comfort that can be found from that belonging, even in times of great stress. The book is an easy read, maybe 175 pages, and can be borrowed via the Overdrive App.

I have a couple more on deck that I want to work through, but let me know what you are reading fiction or non, to help me stay sane.

If you like non-fiction war stuff. Bravo Two Zero was really good.
Brit SAS team is dropped into Iraq before Operation Desert Storm with a mission to disable the SCUD launchers. Soon as they land, shit hits the fan.

In case anyone else LOVES the book "Ready Player One" like I do. This is a friendly reminder that "Ready Player Two" released today

Now that I'm smoking again, I just started the new Jack Reacher novel, "The Sentinel". Lee Child has made it known that he is handing off authorship of Reacher books to his brother, who will take over in full after a two or three book co-authorship. "The Sentinel" is credited to both, but I do believe that Lee's brother is entirely writing the books, already, and Lee Childs's name is is just on the cover for publicity reasons. Though the tone of the story is the same, Jack Reacher is almost an entirely different character than as previously written. Imagine Tony Stark's demeanor in Jack Reacher's body. Ever watch a movie or read a book and figure out that someone is an imposter because they do something or say something that is out of character with who they are supposed to be portraying? There's a ton of those little things in this book. It's not bad, it's just not Jack Reacher.

I read the full collection of Daniel Silva books this year. This damn rona did not give me a chance to travel at all in 2020

In case anyone else LOVES the book "Ready Player One" like I do. This is a friendly reminder that "Ready Player Two" released today
I will definitely have to give it a read. Really like RP1 but was somewhat underwhelmed with Armada.

The Mission, The Men and Me by Pete Blabber was a good read. I enjoyed the style of writing over Extreme Ownership

Last edited:
Has anyone read "The last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill" Trilogy? I know I would be asking for punishment but I think he's a pretty neat guy and would like to learn more. Or any of the 3 books really?

Just in case everyone is now catching up on this thread, Ready player two was.... ehhhh.. I LOVED RP1 so I was going to finish RP2 regardless.. But I did "skim" read whole chapters that I found useless.

I couldn't even begin to update everything I've read since this time last year. October/November seem to be the popular release months for my favorite authors, so it's a happy time of year for me. Authors I recommend if you like Connelly, Cussler, Slaughter, Deaver, Child, etc.:

-Robert Dugoni
-Victor Methos
-Lee Goldberg
-Bradley Wright
-Mike Faricy