• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars from non-traditional areas

stefus_prime

Hello everyone, I was wondering what are some cigars you've had that were from non-traditional areas and what did you think? I've personally had a few Filipino cigars (can't remember the name), and some Sultans from Indonesia. Can't remember much about the Filipino cigars (I was a bit of a noob) but the Sultan robustos are one of my favorite cigars now. 

I've had Kings robusto's from Mexico. Nice cigar, but a little mild. Lately, I found some pretty decent stuff there.

I get down to Brazil every other year. When I first started going I took my own with me, but the local cigars are very good. Now the cigars I take are gifts and I smoke the local stuff.

duglynukem said:
I've had Kings robusto's from Mexico. Nice cigar, but a little mild. Lately, I found some pretty decent stuff there.

I get down to Brazil every other year. When I first started going I took my own with me, but the local cigars are very good. Now the cigars I take are gifts and I smoke the local stuff.

I wouldn't really consider Brazil an non-traditional location but those local cigars sound really interesting. Are they like what the locals would smoke, sort of like peso cigars? 

It's probably not too nontraditional, but I love tobacos exclusivos from costa rica. I've heard that they don't ger a good tobacco crop every year, so when you can find them they are pretty good.

Kauai Cigar Company from Hawaii. Had two called The Island Prince in Natural and Maduro.

Didn't care for the natural, but thought the maduro was pretty decent.

athello said:
It's probably not too nontraditional, but I love tobacos exclusivos from costa rica. I've heard that they don't ger a good tobacco crop every year, so when you can find them they are pretty good.
Is there any specific brands that come to mind? I usually hear mixed review when it comes to  Costa Rican cigars, but I've admittedly never tried any for myself.

jfields said:
Kauai Cigar Company from Hawaii. Had two called The Island Prince in Natural and Maduro.

Didn't care for the natural, but thought the maduro was pretty decent.
That's pretty interesting, are some of the leaves grown in Hawaii or is that just the assembly point? Never really heard of a Hawaiian stogie.

"Condal Cigars" from La Palma - Canary Islands; used to buy them in Spain several years ago. They are mild and well made.

There is a cigar out there called Navarre....it's a FRENCH puro.  Tobacco is grown in France and it's rolled there by a Cuban farmer who has been living there.  Very well constructed cigars and they taste unlike anything out there.  They're a bit pricey, but they're very good and very limited.  I think the production is somewhere around 40-50,000 cigars a year.

uptown_isy said:
There is a cigar out there called Navarre....it's a FRENCH puro.  Tobacco is grown in France and it's rolled there by a Cuban farmer who has been living there.  Very well constructed cigars and they taste unlike anything out there.  They're a bit pricey, but they're very good and very limited.  I think the production is somewhere around 40-50,000 cigars a year.
I just looked them up, they look really interesting but I don't have the cash to blow on a fiver, though they do sound pleasant...wonder if they'll ever get enough notoriety to sell in a B&M a round here.
Capt J said:
"Condal Cigars" from La Palma - Canary Islands; used to buy them in Spain several years ago. They are mild and well made.
Do you have any links to any info on them? A brief googling returns no results

stefus_prime said:

I just looked them up, they look really interesting but I don't have the cash to blow on a fiver, though they do sound pleasant...wonder if they'll ever get enough notoriety to sell in a B&M a round here.

Capt J said:
Do you have any links to any info on them? A brief googling returns no results

http://cigars.duty.free.fr/shop_palm.htm
They show a pretty good list of the Condals

Tobacos exclusivos is the brand. I know it sounds generic but that's what they are! Haha! Also, I have had La Mundial just recently and they are less intense but good.
Sorey, last post was in regards to costa rica, stupid phone didn't quote message.

stefus_prime said:

I wouldn't really consider Brazil an non-traditional location but those local cigars sound really interesting. Are they like what the locals would smoke, sort of like peso cigars? 

I've been there a couple times as well and picked up a few different Brazilian cigars. It is necessarily "non-traditional" but they have quite a bit that you won't find here in the U.S. They had the Dona Flor which is probably the most recognizable, but I tried a few others and found some pretty decent stuff. Some of the Angelinas were pretty good as well as the Dona Flor Selecao. They also have a few larger Dannemans which were good. I believe they were called the Artist Line. Its been a few years so I don't remember all of the, but still have a few saved in the humidor since I don't think I'll be back there for quite some time. I do remember that most of the stuff was pretty expensive and the shop owner was talking about how it must be so nice to get the Dominican brands here. I thought it was funny that he had access to whatever Cubans and had a good selection of them, but was more interested in what we have here. I guess everyone wants what they can't get.

My experience with the non-traditional cigar is, it usually has a flavor profile that's interesting at first but doesn't hold up in long haul. ie. It gets tiresome quickly.

Doc

Capt J said:
I've had Condal...very good.  Can't find them anymore without ordering online (I don't do that).

fetterjohn said:

I've had Condal...very good.  Can't find them anymore without ordering online (I don't do that).

Thanks.

I missed the mild part. I guess that's one thing that comes from declining gray matter and reading the thread with several interruptions.

I smoke mostly smaller ring gauges, If I didn't order on-line my selection from local shops would be almost nothing. Generally, they look at you funny or a blank stare if you ask for 46 and under. 

I've had Burmese cheroots.
They are pretty much only like a candela cigar in shape and color...
It is a leaf (eucalyptus maybe) in a cigar shape and then filled with a mix of crap which may have some tobacco in it.
They are pretty mild and if I had a chance I might smoke one again, hopefully back in Myanmar!

-Rob

I've had Jamaican cigars.  They weren't offensive, but so mild you could smoke them like a cigarette.

tsmckenney said:
I've had Jamaican cigars.  They weren't offensive, but so mild you could smoke them like a cigarette.
That wasn't tobacco.

My guess is you smoked Jamaican cigars post hurricane Gilbert, when the tobacco industry was wiped out and never really recovered. Prior to that catastrophe, Jamaica was not considered a non-traditional tobacco and cigar manufacturer. It was mainstream, and rivaled Cuba in quality. Even Winston Churchill smoked Royal Jamaicans between Upmans. They were also my first cigar in 1972 and though mild, they were flavorful.

Doc