• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cleaning Question?

gunsandcigars88

I am new to this world of pipe smoking, but am really enjoying it. On here you talk of cleaning them with scotch, 150 proof Bourbon, and Everclear. I am 19 and cannot get my hands on any of these. What can I use in substitute of these to clean my pipe with? Thanks in advance for the help!
B

Hmmm... you're under age but you're coming to visit you older brother tonight??? You give me the money for the liquor and I'll clean your pipe and drink the rest. Sound good???

D

I use 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. It works just fine and it evaporates so quickly that it leaves virtually no residue. I know there are some that say you shouldn't use anything you wouldn't drink, but I hate to use good liquor as a cleaning agent. There are pipe smokers that have used this for years with no ill effects to themselves or their pipes.

This stuff is only about $1-$2 for a bottle at your local discount store/pharmacy. It's by the regular first aid stuff. A bottle should last quite awhile.

Isopropyl Alcohol + cotton balls + q-tips = happy pipes ;)

Hey G&C88,

I use brandy-soaked pipe cleaners for regular cleaning (Oro de Azteca). However, if you have a new pipe that's been dip-dyed, an estate pipe that needs a good cleaning, or a pipe that starts to tase sour you should use the salt method. I'll try to find a link to the page on pipes.org, but essentially you pack the bowl with salt and then add isopropyl alcohol to it, being careful not to go over the rim. Then you let it sit. The alcohol will draw old oils, tar, and dyes (like in my red Peterson Killarney #03) out of the briar and the salt will of course hold them so they don't soak back into the wood. Repeat treatment until salt is clean.

TampaSupremo

BTW, ain't it a bitch that you can go out and buy a hell of a nice rifle, but not the cold brew to enjoy after you've shot it?

BTW, ain't it a bitch that you can go out and buy a hell of a nice rifle, but not the cold brew to enjoy after you've shot it?

Heck in Texas I can carry a concealed handgun in a vehicle, and en route to and from that vehicle to private property. But the kicker is that I can't buy the handgun or the ammo for it, I just don't get their thinking???

I thought you would dk_ace. How about you buy it and Will reimburse you for how much of the liquor I will need?
B

Thanks very much for posting the link ! really appreciate it because I was just wondering how to clean my own pipe beyond using a pipe cleaner and tissue

Just don't put anything abrasive on the finish on the outside. Get a nice pipe rag to buff the pipes with.

Just don't put anything abrasive on the finish on the outside. Get a nice pipe rag to buff the pipes with.
As an addendum to this:

Never use alcohol or any other solvent on the outside of the bowl unless you want the finish ruined. I assumed most pipers know this, but I want to be on the safe side. That alcohol will strip the stain right off your pipe if you're not careful. Use a slightly damp soft cloth or a soft cloth with one of the commercially available "Pipe Wipe" solutions on it. An old t-shirt works quite well to make them nice and shiny.