• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Clumping Bamboo aka Bambusa Oldhamii - Anyone growing it?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I planted a few bamboo plants a couple years ago, and they're finally really starting to take off.  I planted what's called Bambusa Oldhamii; it's a clumping bamboo meaning that it doesn't spread like regular bamboo.  A real beautiful plant.  Anyone out there growing it?  Fun to watch how fast the new shoots grow.

Good to read it doesn't spread. I one a guy who planted some and now regrets it because they have taken over the entire area.

Rod, did you just use the word "beautiful" to decribe a "plant"........

Going to church to light a $5.00 candle  on your behalf.............

Rod said:
I planted a few bamboo plants a couple years ago, and they're finally really starting to take off.  I planted what's called Bambusa Oldhamii; it's a clumping bamboo meaning that it doesn't spread like regular bamboo.  A real beautiful plant.  Anyone out there growing it?  Fun to watch how fast the new shoots grow.

Is Upland really so bad that you're entertaining yourself by sitting in your backyard watching plants grow?

Rod don't listen to these simpletons, nothing is more rewarding than planting and watching something grow.

Or watching water boil! ;) I look forward to seeing it at the CP Herf this year!

PJ the Comic said:
Rod don't listen to these simpletons, nothing is more rewarding than planting and watching something grow.

At least someone gets it. :)  And the sound it makes on a windy day.  Such a unique "grass".   :love:

Rod said:

At least someone gets it. :)  And the sound it makes on a windy day.  Such a unique "grass".   :love:

Someone talked about growing unique grass ?  :whistling:  lol

Great timing, I waned to plant some bamboo this spring but was worried about the stuff spreading all over the place. I will need to check out Bambusa Oldhamii, thanks...

It definitely doesn't spread, which is why I planted it.  I have it in several locations around the perimeter of my backyard; I'm trying to make it more of a tropical atmosphere. Works great for a privacy hedge, as it grows up to 65 ft tall and 4 in culms.  Makes a really cool sounds in the wind, you can hear the culms hitting each other, and a rustling sound as it passes through the leaves.  This is the same bamboo they use at Disneyland.

I looked at this variety and it might get taller than I want. I want to fill in gaps between mature black walnuts and cherry trees. There are some smaller varieties that might work out better. Good info anyway, I did not know about clumping bamboo, there are a few different kinds.

Once again I'm reminded why I'm really glad I don't live in Cali. 

Rod said:

I just threw up in my mouth....

PJ the Comic said:

I agree PJ. Although I don't like mowing the lawn I do enjoy working in our perennial gardens. No bamboo though.

PJ the Comic said:
Isn't that how he got Chloe?  :whistling:

Hey newb, why don't you snap a few photo's with the Nikon of your bamboo.

How will it grow in a simi arid location...i got automatic sprinklers, but will it do well?

thefatguy said:
Good to read it doesn't spread. I one a guy who planted some and now regrets it because they have taken over the entire area.
I've read the same thing.  The stuff must be illiterate, though -- hasn't read the reports about how slow and docile it is.  That stuff is major-league trouble, in my experience.  I've seen it tear up fences, crumble a thick cement sidewalk . . . planting that is like opening a 60-foot tall can of whip-ass.  Maybe it's not as fast as the "running" kind, but it'll pick up your car and lift it up above your house, and then dump it on your other car a lot more often than the running stuff..  The oldhamii is like the giant, beefy, pain-inflicting running backs like Larry Csonka, John Riggins, and Franco Harris, and the running stuff is like Randy Moss or Bob Hayes.  One spreads faster, but the other hurts plenty and does plenty of damage along the way. 

thefatguy said: