• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coffee Brewing Techniques

okiesmoke

Just curious as to how you guys brew your coffee. I've been using the french press but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not. Do you get fancy or just use the good ole' auto drip wal mart special?

Check out stumptowncoffee.com. Awesome roaster and they have a great coffee brewing guide.

For convenience, The Wife® and I use regular ol' coffee maker but I really like the coffee from a french press. I have small lexan model I use to use for backpacking/camping. I started many a fine morning by some lake or stream with it.

Just curious as to how you guys brew your coffee. I've been using the french press but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not. Do you get fancy or just use the good ole' auto drip wal mart special?

What's fancy?
The coffee?

Get some beans.
Grind them coarse.
Add to press.
Boil water.
Take off heat.
Wait til boiling just subsides.
Add to press.
Stir.
Put lid on press.
Wait 4-6 min.
Press plunger.
Pour coffee.
Enjoy!

Fancy?
Not really.
Depends on your perspective though.

-Rob

I french press for hot, and cold brew for ice. But usualy get the chuck wagon mud. And at my parents house cowboy style.

I use a Chemex brewer and roast my beans. Working on some El Salvadorian beans at the moment.

Brewing with the french press in my experience is pretty hard to mess up. If you are the lucky sort that has an adjustable bur grinder make the grind a little coarser than what you would add to the regular filtered coffee maker. That is my only addition to what is said above.

I think for coffee, french press is hard to beat. However, the clean up is another story. :angry:

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think I ever stirred the coffee during the steeping. I just left it, pressed it, and drank it. The stirring might redistribute some of the oils and top foam for a little "truer to the bean" taste.

I'll have to get a burr grinder too! Thanks again.

I use my Senseo Coffee pot or my Ikea Press Pot.

I have re-usable pods for the Senseo, so I can grind my CP Coffee and brew up a cup or 2. Drinking some right now...De Lish

Tim

What's fancy?
The coffee?

Get some beans.
Grind them coarse.
Add to press.
Boil water.
Take off heat.
Wait til boiling just subsides.
Add to press.
Stir.
Put lid on press.
Wait 4-6 min.
Press plunger.
Pour coffee.
Enjoy!

Fancy?
Not really.
Depends on your perspective though.

-Rob

Exactly! :thumbs:

Fancy? No. Plain old auto drip Folger. Black and hot and then black and cold. All day long.

There are so many good ways of brewing coffee. What makes it great is when
you roast your own beans and grind it fresh just before brewing.Ahhhh.

I use a Cuisinart grind and brew. It's a blade grinder, but it works well nonetheless.

I love my french press coffee. I have a Bodum travel mug french press, which isn't perfect, but it works. There are quite a few deployed coffee drinkers and many of us like a good bold cup of coffee, so either we make it ourselves or go to Green Beans. My grinder is the blade type but it works pretty well as long as I don't forget to plug it into the transformer (220 to 110).

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think I ever stirred the coffee during the steeping. I just left it, pressed it, and drank it. The stirring might redistribute some of the oils and top foam for a little "truer to the bean" taste.

I'll have to get a burr grinder too! Thanks again.

Stirring is key. I use my French press everyday at work and is the best way to brew IMHO

Did my french press this morning, timed it and stirred and you're right. Makes all the difference in the world. Thanks guys.