• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coffee

John,

IMO there is no better way than using a french press. Even when I was in the desert, our team ALWAYS used a french press. Now...granted...we took crap from a lot of people, but we had the best coffee in the middle east! Those Biyatches suffered with instant from MREs. ;-)

BTW...you let me know when you are free and we can definately do a Mid-Atlantic Herf.

-Kelly

C&G... good to the last drop. (That's what she said...)

Very cool John!

Since the herf I have purchased three more French presses, one made of stainless by Coleman for camping! Nothing better than a great cup of coffee around the morning fire!

I guess I better get in touch with Mr Jerry...........................more money I won't get to take with me :whistling:

Is time to brew, preparation, clean up etc roughly the same? Not sure but, the french drip seems like a considerable amount of additional work. Not sure if in this case preception is reality.

Any info on brew time, prep and clean up, compared to conventional drip would be appreciated.

all things being eqaull I am usually more of a simplistic guy and usually prefer "olde world" techniques over technology unless said technology provides a tangible benefit. So this definitely interests me.

Thanks again for the info.

Is time to brew, preparation, clean up etc roughly the same? Not sure but, the french drip seems like a considerable amount of additional work. Not sure if in this case preception is reality.

Any info on brew time, prep and clean up, compared to conventional drip would be appreciated.

all things being eqaull I am usually more of a simplistic guy and usually prefer "olde world" techniques over technology unless said technology provides a tangible benefit. So this definitely interests me.

Thanks again for the info.

The French press may be more time because you have to boil the water first but clean up is simple as you just pull the plunger and rinse out the press and plunger. Total time for me is about 8 - 9 minutes, 4-5 to boil, then you brew it for 4 minutes and you're done. Also, you don't have to deal with the coffee maker building up residue and taking forever to make!

the boiling of water is not a problem as my wife is a tea drinker so instead of me having to brew coffee for myself I may be able to get here to make it for me. now we are talkin'!

Very good I am sold. Where, if one was so inclined, be able to purchase a decent one? any recomendations on brands?

snip.... Not sure but, the french drip seems like a considerable amount of additional work. ....snip

I use a FP quite a bit, and the Bride always drinks drip coffee.

With the French Press, let's say it takes 5 minutes to boil the kettle, while that's happening you grind the beans, pour in the water, let it sit for 3-1/2 minutes and then a 30 second plunge. So I'd say yes, it's a little longer than drip, but well worth it IMHO.

As for clean-up, less than 3 minutes.

EDIT TO ADD:

snip....Very good I am sold. Where, if one was so inclined, be able to purchase a decent one? any recomendations on brands?

Any decent kitchen supply store will have 'em. Personally, as noted above, I'd recommend Bodum. I have 3.

snip.... Not sure but, the french drip seems like a considerable amount of additional work. ....snip

I use a FP quite a bit, and the Bride always drinks drip coffee.

With the French Press, let's say it takes 5 minutes to boil the kettle, while that's happening you grind the beans, pour in the water, let it sit for 3-1/2 minutes and then a 30 second plunge. So I'd say yes, it's a little longer than drip, but well worth it IMHO.

As for clean-up, less than 3 minutes.

EDIT TO ADD:

snip....Very good I am sold. Where, if one was so inclined, be able to purchase a decent one? any recomendations on brands?

Any decent kitchen supply store will have 'em. Personally, as noted above, I'd recommend Bodum. I have 3.

thanks newfie, appreciate the info...

I'll let you know my thoughts after my first cup...

Great post John, thanks for doing it!!

I've been toying with the idea of making a "how-to" for using a French Press. I've turned so many people over from cheap drip to the FP it isn't funny.

Yup...very true. If only I could get the same flavor out of a drip machine that was reasonably priced.

There are many,many ways to make a great cup of coffee.
Make sure you have the best and freshest beans you can get.
If you roast your own beans you can have different coffees all the time.
It's well worth it!

You've been here long enough to read the coffee threads in the SALOON.
Actually, looked and did not see it, so I decided to post it in the Lobby.

Edit to say: Nope! Went back to look........ It all pertains to some type of beverage that contains alcohol, but I did not find a coffee/tea thread. ;)

This could be one that AVB was talking about. French Press ;)

Not sure though. Anyway, thanks for the interesting review. I also prefer French Press over Drip.

Funny that this thread pops up, as I just recently purchased a Bodum 8 cup french press. Works wonderfully! One thing I've gotten that I've never recieved from a drip machine is a good amount of crema. It's always very nice to pour the coffee out and see that layer of foam on top. Tastes are usually more pronounced with a bit more on the bottom end (i.e., I've noticed that the coffee tastes stronger). Clean up is a breeze. The extra time to prepare the coffee is worth it, IMO. Nothing worse than a lacking cup of joe to start the day.

My wife suprised me with this nice little item yesterday. :love:
singlecup001.jpg

singlecup002.jpg

She got it from Fourbucks for around twenty dollars. A nice single cup stainless French press. :cool:

I have a plastic version of that one made by Bodum...Grind the coffee a little coarser. The synthetic seal on those dont keep the grounds out like the metal screen's on the full size ones do.

Bill

Harrumph! Cowboy coffee for the genteel.

Doc.