• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba authenticity

JayBay

WTB Bratalias
I'm not all that concerned about whether or not these are real, as they were given to me (not by a CP member). However, I am trying to learn about how to tell a fake when I see one. Much of the information I see on distinguishing fakes describe the box...and these were given to me as singles. I've read that ISOM's are supposed to have 3 caps - is this a steadfast rule? Are there any other ways to tell - other than the band?

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

I'm not all that concerned about whether or not these are real, as they were given to me (not by a CP member). However, I am trying to learn about how to tell a fake when I see one. Much of the information I see on distinguishing fakes describe the box...and these were given to me as singles. I've read that ISOM's are supposed to have 3 caps - is this a steadfast rule? Are there any other ways to tell - other than the band?

You can always measure the cigar to see if it's spot on in length and ring guage. The band can be a dead giveaway as well. Whether it's not the right embossing or the right font, or if it's a sloppy application to the cigar. Or perhaps it doesn't fit real snug around the cigar, which means perhaps the band was removed from another and placed on that one.

Of course the easiest way to tell is to compare the suspect cigar to a cigar of known authenticity, side by side. Sometimes then things will stand out as glaring inconsistencies that otherwise might be missed, especially in photos.

100% fake. Now let's see who can tell why.

Wilkey

Does it have to do something with the foot of it. Like the filter, looks circular rather than "weavy". Plus the one on the right, looks like there is two distinguish circles the outer ring and the inner ring. that should not happen, they should have a weavy type "packing"

David

Font on the band for one

Too much black above the checkers

black and white checkers are not the same size

Wilkey

Because you said so!!! :laugh:

The bottom row of squares on the left one are cut off by the gold outline.

No triple cap.

The H and C in Haban Cuba intersect themselves improperly.

I'm sure there's more but that's what I see immediately.

Besides the wrapper being too dark Wilkey....................
bands-1.jpg

Wilkey

Does it have to do something with the foot of it. Like the filter, looks circular rather than "weavy". Plus the one on the right, looks like there is two distinguish circles the outer ring and the inner ring. that should not happen, they should have a weavy type "packing"

David

Ok, I guess I am still learning ???

Very nice John and congratulations, your super premium fiver from Wilkey is on it's way :sign:

Brian

Ok, John's guide is pretty good. But even so, it missed one thing that is suggestive of a counterfeit and one detail that is commonly misinterpreted as an indicator of fake-icity.

Wilkey

Ok, John's guide is pretty good. But even so, it missed one thing that is suggestive of a counterfeit and one detail that is commonly misinterpreted as an indicator of fake-icity.

Wilkey

They were a gift from an apparently untrusted party.

Wilkey
They were a gift from an apparently untrusted party.
I'm sorry. Let me clarify. Specifically with regard to John's guide not the overall circumstances surrounding the procurement of these specimens.

Wilkey

Wilkey

Would you be wanting to make mention of the shade of Gold "Fleck", the shade of Orange, or the embossing Wilkey?

Wilkey

Would you be wanting to make mention of the shade of Gold "Fleck", the shade of Orange, or the embossing Wilkey?

I wanted to add to the thread and share my past experience. I was kinda shocked that anyone would bother to produce bogus Siglo I's, as they are so small. I was wrong! The following pics are from a fiver that I received from a member of CP who because of this and other "sales", is no longer a member. Love the yellowing in the band and the smearing of the ink......

P1020529.jpg

P1020532.jpg

P1020530.jpg

P1020531.jpg

The caps are poor quality and you can tell that it was bunched rolled.

What is it exactly about the embossing?

Wilkey
The "COHIBA" is raised/standing out on the authentic. Flat, and almost non-existent on the fake.
It's hard to tell that from the photo. And besides, JayBay's fakes have prominent embossing. I was looking at the registration (alignment or trapping) of the gold emboss against the other printed elements. Often folks will wonder if a band that has mis-registered elements is indicative of inauthenticity. In fact, it is not at all uncommon to find authentic bands with various elements such as the emboss, color print, or gold out of register.

Wilkey