• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Extra Vigoroso experience

While going through my humidor looking for my comeback cigar after a 5 day break, I stumbled upon a nice looking Cohiba XV 550. I chose this one to enjoy after dinner.
Being taco Friday, I quickly chowed down my tacos and washed it down with a big glass of water. I dressed warmly, and then headed outside.
I treated the cap of the cigar with a swift cut from my trusty XIKAR cutter. I slowly toasted her, then put her to my mouth to continue the lighting phase. POW! The first draw was a knock in the chops…very raw. After ensuring the entire foot was lit properly, I took another draw, which was effortless. This was a bit milder, but still kind of harsh. I kicked back in my chair and relaxed, looking at the stars and thinking of the long week. Upon my next draw, I found this hearty cigar had mellowed and was quite pleasant. She created thick, smoke that swirled effortlessly into the night breeze…seemingly taking the cares of the day with it. Each draw that followed created a very dynamic experience. At first, I tasted raisins on my lips. I could not believe it! The following draw left a deep taste of caramel and creamy chocolate. This smoke was becoming a real treat.
In the dark, it was easy to see she was burning perfectly and ashing quite nicely. I never once had to struggle to get a mouthful of rich smoke.
As I neared the band, the caramel and chocolate slowly tapered off to nice spice dancing on my tongue. Once past the band, I thought it was time to put her to rest…but with no regrets.
I have had this cigar, but it was more enjoyable than I had ever known it to be in the past. I don’t know if it was because it had been several days since I had any tobacco product. Whatever the case, this was truly an enjoyable experience. If you ever find yourself in a cigar rut, try taking a few days off, then come back to a nice full-bodied cigar. I think you’ll be pleasantly satisfied! :)

I have had my fair share of these myself, and I agree with you on all points. These MUST sit for a year and then they are pretty nice, I do not care for them fresh.

On another note, these supposedly are the same as Diablo (which cost less) if you can still find them.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Wow,

Who'd a thunk it. I didn't know these were Diablos. I didn't think the Diablos were all that good...but then I never had one with age.

Nice writeup!

Wilkey

Wow,

Who'd a thunk it. I didn't know these were Diablos. I didn't think the Diablos were all that good...but then I never had one with age.

Nice writeup!

Wilkey

From a previous write-up..

Diablo
Wrapper = Ecuadoran Sumatra
Filler = Nicaraguan Ligero and Piloto Cubano Ligero Blend
Binder = Connecticut Broadleaf

Cohiba XV

Although they could be different % blends on the filler (?)

Wow,

Nice writeup!

Wilkey

Diablo

Cohiba XV

Gee,

That doesn't sound like a bad profile. I'm partial to EcSumat and CTBroadleaf so I'm actually a bit surprised I didn't enjoy them. I know Vortex was a fan of the Diablos (IIRC) so maybe he has a few I can pinch. Our B&M clearanced these earlier this year I think.

Wilkey

Very nice review! Sounds fantastic.

I've smoked a few of the XVs before, and have not enjoyed them. But, your review makes me want to give them another shot.

The box I have taste great..as have all of the singles I've smoked. Great cigar. A couple dollars too much per stick!

I dont know if these are a good stand alone stick but becuase of the Cocoa bean flavor there the perfect after dinner smoke :thumbs:

The box I have taste great..as have all of the singles I've smoked. Great cigar. A couple dollars too much per stick!

Last time I had one was about 3-4 years ago... have they (hopefully) changed things for the better in the interim?

Huh. I might have to grab one of these and let it sit in the bottom of my cooler for a few years. The couple I had when they first came out were not very pleasant.

Wow,

Nice writeup!

Wilkey

Diablo

Cohiba XV

Gee,

That doesn't sound like a bad profile. I'm partial to EcSumat and CTBroadleaf so I'm actually a bit surprised I didn't enjoy them. I know Vortex was a fan of the Diablos (IIRC) so maybe he has a few I can pinch. Our B&M clearanced these earlier this year I think.

Wilkey
I'm out at the moment. The CigCity store in Hockessin has some freshly opened boxes with a couple extra years on them(they all do). I was thinking of swinging by there in early December when Gary gets something "special" for the holidays. I'll pick up a few Calientes for our next herf at Howard House! ;)

Perhaps the thing to do is pick up a couple XVs to compare and write up the experiment?

I'm out at the moment. The CigCity store in Hockessin has some freshly opened boxes with a couple extra years on them(they all do). I was thinking of swinging by there in early December when Gary gets something "special" for the holidays. I'll pick up a few Calientes for our next herf at Howard House! ;)

Perhaps the thing to do is pick up a couple XVs to compare and write up the experiment?
That would be cool except that the Diablos would have age whereas the XV would be green. Might be worth a try though...sort of a mini-longitudinal study.

Wilkey

I see your point. This study has zero controls on it anyway. Just for sh*ts and giggles and an excuse to smoke more cigars! :laugh:

I see your point. This study has zero controls on it anyway. Just for sh*ts and giggles and an excuse to smoke more cigars! :laugh:
I'm down with that. I guess I'd have to bring the XV's then, eh? :p

BTW, it looks like the next HH herf will be on December 13th. That work for you?

Wilkey

I'm down with that. I guess I'd have to bring the XV's then, eh? :p

BTW, it looks like the next HH herf will be on December 13th. That work for you?

Wilkey
The 13th is great. No spankings, right?

I could get two Diablo Gran Fuegos(Torps), which is more comparably priced to the XV 550. I have never tried one so it would be more interesting AND it's sh*ts and giggles so who cares if the vitolas don't match! :laugh: