• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Gran Reserva Siglo VI

Siglo-Man

8.jpg

Well this is the first stick that has compelled me to write a full proper review and take detailed notes through out the entire smoke. I was supposed wait for my friends birthday this Sat to dive into these but since I had a few extra I could not resist the opportunity of a crisp October evening to enjoy the best Habanos has to offer. I purposely haven't smoked a stick since last Sat to thoroughly clean my palate for this GR. Here it goes:

I have to admit it's been a long while since I was this excited to receive new sticks and for sure the first time I have laid down this much scratch per piece. As you can see they are very impressive right from the get go and this GR really feels great in the hand. The wrappers are flawless, have a great oily sheen to them and are complimented by the GR band which has great detail in the embossing of the logo. Of course the first thing I did was run this Siglo under my nose 3 or 4 times and now I am even more excited to spark this stick of gold. What a sweet aroma of vanilla with a hint of almond and spice.

I punched the cap and took a few draws and my mouth filled with chocolate and sweet tobacco. I sat comfortably in my patio chair with my feet up and poured a small measure of Macallan 30 Sherry Oak. It was a crisp 56 degrees, which is pretty nippy for Cali, but a perfect environment to dive into this GR. I put the torch to the foot and took a few good draws to get things underway. Right away I had a great tingling on my tough with a strong taste to sweet tobacco and dried fruit which finished with a spicy chocolate. I really was impressed to get such a pleasurable pop from this stick right from the first few draws as with most of my past experiences it took at least a little burn to get things in sync. The draw was fantastic and yielded mouthfuls of this spicy chocolate smoke. It was so quiet out this evening I could hear the crackling of the tobacco each time my draws created that glowing orange ring around the base of the ash. Though out the first third it was consistently spicy chocolate and a hint to that dried fruit that I got a shot of in the first few draws. That patented Cohiba tingle was there as well but this was far more refined than any Silgo, or cigar for that matter, I have ever had. The end of the first third was amazingly smooth with huge volumes of rich smoke filled with refined chocolate and a hint of vanilla which replaced the dried fruit. I put in my notes: "Refined power that is taking me on a mini vacation."
2-4.jpg

The Second third was pure bliss as this GR finds perfection with what seems to be an epic blend of chocolate spice which dissipates into a sweet leather at the back of my palate with out a second of bitterness or off notes. This perfection continues as I am slightly interrupted by thoughts of springing for a full box of 15. I seriously can not find a single flaw other than thinking it's burning too fast. Beautiful balance and now championship consistency of smooth chocolate spice and that back palate tingle that leaves me yerning for that next draw.
3-3.jpg

The last third gradually eased on the power while staying very smooth. The Chocolate was now followed by stronger spice and a flavorful cedar finish leaving that same devilish tingle. With about 2' left I realized how this smooth acceleration of power had me in an intoxicating zone of new flavor. Spice has now taken over the chocolate but still finished amazingly smooth with what seems to be a little less of a back palate tingle but I think it's just me being accustomed to it than it leveling off.
4-2.jpg

5-1.jpg

At this point I take a small sip of the Sherry Oak 30 which blends refined caramel to the spice creating true bliss. At this level I am torn whether to endulge in the monstrous volumes of smoke offered or to cheat my draws to extend this journey. I opt for the greedy deep draws and swim in mouthfuls of creamy spiced smoke. Amazing that is seems to have returned to an amplified version of the 2nd third with the chocolate coming back with an almond finish. I still can;t get over how smooth this stick is. Another sip of the 30 year and this silgo sings with the sherry notes of the scotch. A little under an inch to go and I'm saddened as if I'm pulling into the train station to drop off a good friend. The last inch transitioned into deep spice and cedar with a chocolate finish and yes still smooth to the very end.
6-1.jpg

7.jpg

In my humble opinion these Gran Reservas are worth every penny. It is by far one of the best smokes I have ever had and I honestly think if you can afford a stick get one. Even if you can't, get one anyway! This is what it's all about and to miss out on this journey is a tragedy.

I didn't know what "GR" stood for, but it's pretty funny if you insert GIANT ROD every time and read on down. :whistling:

Nice review! Thanks for your take on this cigar.

ETA: Gran Reserva...........I know, I know!

Siglo...thanks for the great review. Can't wait for my GR's to arrive in the mail.

Thanks for sharing. Great Pics! The GR's are on my cigar bucket list. One of these days... One of these days... :thumbs:

this Giant Rod really feels great in the hand

Muahahahahahahaha!

That looks like a serious cigar. This is the kind of stick I would love to see done in a blind tasting.

This is a serious cigar, IMHO. Seriously expensive, but, again, in my opinion, it follows through. I agree that it is refined. I thought that a freshly rolled cigar with 5 or so year aged tobacco would yield similar ammoniac results to standard new production...but it didn't. It was rich, behaved and quite an experience. I'd love to know today what this cigar will become in 5 years. My experience wasn't as defined as yours, but I recall a certain creaminess to the cigar that I have never found in a new production cigar. Clearly manufactured with the highest quality tobacco.

There was a slight vegetal flavor...maybe the "grassiness" folks throw around with respect to Cohibas (I typically do not experience this). There was an occasional spiciness to the cigar. Not strong to me (like a good Partagas), but more like baking spices...maybe the cinnamon one experiences on graham crackers--it's there, but you have to search a bit for it.

I try to temper my expectations about cigars. I've been let down too many times. I went into this cigar with expectation to be let down as the reviews have been phenomenal across the board. This cigar did not disappoint.

Wow, nice review and pics. Looks and sounds like a wonderful smoke. I'd love to try one, but I think it's a little too far on the pricey side for me right now.

Exellent review! I was on the fence about ordering a few and after that review I think I fell off! Gonna have to try

one of these before they are gone...

this Giant Rod really feels great in the hand

Muahahahahahahaha!

That looks like a serious cigar. This is the kind of stick I would love to see done in a blind tasting.

I would like to see this as well but I really did my best to put aside the hype and cost when smoking it. I was actually expecting a little let down but it really did live up to the hype and then some.

Great review, and beautiful cigar! Koodos on your good fortune to be able to smoke such a majestic cigar...

Regards,

BT

Seems I missed the opp to get a full box as they are now hard to find and are going for well over 2k. Oh well I still have 2 sticks left. If anyone finds a full box at retail and wants to go in I'm still down.Please PM me.

That might be a blessing...the box cigars have been receiving less than stellar reviews. The pre-release festival cigars, however, were fantastic!

Thanks for the review...I do not know how you can clear your mind of the cost and hype while smoking it.

I have never had an ISOM cohiba...this would be a good one to start on :laugh:

thanks for the review but the Macallan 30 is really looking delicious! :)

The one I had before they were released was absolutely amazing, but I have been sort of nonplussed about the most recent GR's I've smoked.

Had one last month that was just OK. For the money it should have been amazing.