• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Maduro 5, Genios

DutchMaster

Cohiba Maduro 5, Genios
Vitola: Genio (5 1/2 x 52) ~ Parejo

maduro5genios.jpg

The wrapper looks reasonable smooth and somewhat leathery. It feels slightly oily. In short; it looks tasty (to me).
The construction is OK (firm though resiliant) and so is the pre-draw.
This cigar has a impecable draw, with a copious amount of smoke (I really wished all Habanos were rolled this way). It burns somewhat uneven, but not in a disturbing way.

Now, back to the smoke of the cigar, which is very full flavoured and also full bodied. Not overwelming, but in a beautifully rounded and refined way, with a great balance (already!) between richness and refinement.
The taste of the first 'third-part' offers me rich earthy notes, some cocoa and a little touch of sweet/salty, while the 'mouthfeel' is smooth and cool.
The scent is quite pronounced, with slightly earthy and rich woody notes.

When I reach the 'mid-course', the mouthfeel still keeps smooth and cool, while the taste gets a little more tangy (without sharpness, however), with an accent on 'heartyness'. The draw stays impecable and the 'burning' becomes somewhat more steady.
The 'second nose' reveals some nuances of autumn leaves and mushrooms.

Entering the finale, the mouthfeel becomes a little warmer, but also somewhat 'creamy' (like in mandles). The taste builds up to more full bodied, and more tangy, but ... still no sharpness, even while I'm way over three-third of the cigar.

As the 'fire' starts to reach my fingers, still no 'turning point' while the taste keeps quite consistent!
On less then 1 1/2 inch I have to say farewell to this beauty, which offered me a wonderful smoking-experience with a lot of complexity.

In short; a great smoke right now, with prolly a lot of potential for later

Cohiba Maduro 5, Genios

maduro5genios.jpg

The wrapper looks reasonable smooth and somewhat leathery. It feels slightly oily. In short; it looks tasty (to me).
This cigar has a impecable draw, with a copious amount of smoke (I really wished all Habanos were rolled this way). It burns somewhat uneven, but not in a disturbing way.

Now, back to the smoke of the cigar, which is very full flavoured and also full bodied. Not overwelming, but in a beautifully rounded and refined way, with a great balance (already!) between richness and refinement.
The taste of the first 'third-part' offers me rich earthy notes, some cocoa and a little touch of sweet/salty, while the 'mouthfeel' is smooth and cool.

When I reach the 'mid-course', the mouthfeel still keeps smooth and cool, while the taste gets a little more tangy (without sharpness, however), with an accent on 'heartyness'. The draw stays impecable and the 'burning' becomes somewhat more steady.

Entering the finale, the mouthfeel becomes a little warmer, but also somewhat 'creamy' (like in mandles). The taste builds up to more full bodied, and more tangy, but ... still no sharpness, even while I'm way over three-third of the cigar.

As the 'fire' starts to reach my fingers, still no 'turning point' while the taste keeps quite consistent!
On less then 1 1/2 inch I have to say farewell to this beauty, which offered me a wonderful smoking-experience with a lot of complexity.

Great review...thank you. Such a hotly anticipated cigar...glad to hear that the inital reviews are looking good.

Cohiba Maduro 5, Genios

maduro5genios.jpg

Very nice review. I can't wait to get my grimy fat hands on these. How was it for strength (as in nicotine punch)?

Very nice! BTW, would you happen to have the box code on this cigar?

Wilkey

Very nice DM. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.

would you happen to have the box code on this cigar?

Sorry Wilkey, no box code because they came from:

maduro5_assorti.jpg

which was a gift from Mr. Rafael Collazo Cabrera (on the right), director from the El Laguito factory in Cuba:

felicitaties.jpg

They must have been quite fresh I can tell you, but tasty nonetheless! :)

Hi Dutch

If you dont mind I would like to add some of my tasting notes as well.

The wrapper appearence on the Maduro 5's are quite toothy and dark on the ones I have. At first taste to the lips there is a sweetness like red wine or cherry. The traditional cohiba profile is there along with complex flavors of earth and dark chocolate with spice and full bodied. The Genios and magicos have great balance more so than the secretos which I have found to be a quite good as well but has a little more spice with less complexity. The finish remind me of Hennessy XO Congnac ,superb.
As with all young cigars these must rest a bit to reveal their true potential. The Magicos and Genios appear to have the same blend only different lengths. I have found alittle inconsistency in blending of the secretos but at its best is spicey to the point where if you are not used to their strength you may find little beads of sweat emerging. Over all :thumbs:

Bob

Of course I don't mind Bob. It's only nice to share an enjoyment! :)

Talking about Cognac, the Genios also pairs great with a Cigar Reserve from Hine.

Genios - ROA ABR 07
H. Upmann factory as fas as I know. Sold in Germany.

The wrapper is slightly lighter and smoother in comparison to
the set of three available after the Havana festival, which were rolled at
El Laguito (POS ?), as far as I know.

Great review. Thanks for posting and, if I missed an introductory post somewhere, welcome aboard to CP. :thumbs:

I was given a couple of these by a very close friend abroad, and they are now resting in the humi for a little nap. Can't wait to try them.

Welcome to CPass and thank you for a great review!

You have me anticipating! :laugh:

I smoked a Secretos this morning and was a little disappointed. I could definitely tell the maduro wrapper was there. Granted, this cigar is young, but I had hoped more of the traditional Cohiba flavors would come through. Hopefully once these things get a little age on them, the maduro wrapper will mellow a bit and balance w/ the other flavors. I'd look into getting a box, but will let these things rest for a while.

Good review! The one I had as a result of another' generosity was excellent as well.

I was underwhelmed by the Cohiba Secretos I tried. It was as though it had difficulty getting out of the starting blocks and whenever it did mangage to do so, it seemingly tripped all over itself along the race. :( I think they individual leaves used are probably fermented/aged very well but I am not sure how long the cigars have been rolled and, therefore, how the flavors have married. 6-12 months may be all that is needed to make this a new stellar smoke.

That being said, I am conducting a blind tasting at Cigar Family and the first cigar is in fact a Cohiba Maduro5 Secretos. CLICK HERE to read those unbiased, blind reviews for more info.

If the link breaks some rule of this site, let me know and I will be happy to pull it.

Cheers!

I found the range of the Blue Collar ratings interesting. It seemd the smokers loved them or disliked them.

I agree excellent review!! I have never had any of the Cohiba, but I can’t wait to get some in the humi. There has always been so much talk about these great looking cigars, I need to have one so I can relate to this master blend.