• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Maduro

TugBoat

I smoked a Cohiba Maduro Genios tonight. I meant to smoke it yesterday for my birthday but I postponed it a bit.

I didn't have a clue what to expect from this cigar. I hadn't read many reviews and I couldn't remember how any of the reviewers liked it or what they said about it, so I was flying blind on this one. I think this was for the better, I didn't know what to expect so I was able to completely make up my mind on this one.

I'll start off and say this is nothing like a regular release Cohiba. They are completely different. It's been awhile since I've smoke a regular Cohiba, so my memory is a little hazy but I do know the Genios had some very different flavors that I loved.

The wrapper was beautiful, it was very dark and very oily. The draw on it was a little on the tight side but I enjoy that, I think it was just right.

The first thing I noticed was a very strong, maybe coffee like flavor. It was very rich and tasty, It didn't just taste like coffee, it tasted like a good expensive coffee that was brewed just right. I also noticed a little bit of a chocolate flavor, it wasn't a sweet flavor, it was what I would imagine dark chocolate would taste like without a hint of bitterness.

The coffee and chocolate flavors were there during the entire cigar but were most prominent during the first 1/3.

When I reached the second 1/3 of the cigar I started picking up a taste I had trouble identifying at first but I'm pretty sure it was leather, there was also a very nutty flavor at this point.

And for the final 1/3 I picked up a little of the flavor you usually find in Cohibas, it was kinda hidden by the still present coffee and chocolate but I picked up some floral and a little bit grassy flavors, a real nice finish to a wonderful cigar.

There was one aspect I didn't care for, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the thick clouds of smoke I enjoy. This surprised me, over all the flavor could be described as being very "thick" and I usually find this comes with very thick clouds of smoke. Over all this didn't effect the flavor, it was excellent, I just do like taking a puff on the cigar just to discover that my tiny puff results in a large thick cloud of smoke. This didn't happen but that is entirely aesthetic and by no means counts against this cigar for me.

Overall it was an excellent cigar fresh, but in 2-3 years it should be incredible. It was a young cigar that would benefit greatly from some aging. If you manage to pick up a fiver, you need to smoke at least one to get a feel for it and either continue to smoke them of lay them down for awhile, I can't wait to see how these are after they spend a significant amount of time in the humidor.

Nice descriptive review. Pity you don't have some pics, they always add value to the review.

I reviewed the Magicos in Sep 07, Linky and smoked several of each vitola since then.
Each time they get better. I also think they will get better with age but will they? The maduro wrapper is, IMO, 90% of the stick and overpowers the tobacco and binder.
Will they marry well and improve the taste? My problem is that I will not be able to age what I have for 3 years, I guess I'll have to source aged stock then. :D

Oh, happy birthday, have a fantastic year.

Brian

Nice descriptive review. Pity you don't have some pics, they always add value to the review.

I reviewed the Magicos in Sep 07, Linky and smoked several of each vitola since then.
Each time they get better. I also think they will get better with age but will they? The maduro wrapper is, IMO, 90% of the stick and overpowers the tobacco and binder.
Will they marry well and improve the taste? My problem is that I will not be able to age what I have for 3 years, I guess I'll have to source aged stock then. :D

Oh, happy birthday, have a fantastic year.

Brian

I need to get a digital camera sometime, I've been meaning to buy one but just haven't done it yet.

I agree about the wrapper, I do think the wrapper may be too strong for the blend right now. But I think in time it should mellow out a bit.
The entire time while smoking it the cigar just screamed to me that it should be aged, I noticed little things I almost only find in cigars that would greatly benefit from some down time.

Call me crazy, but I just don't get everyone's love of these cigars.

You say good, expensive coffee. I felt it was more of a roadhouse espresso. I felt there was some 'tar' to the flavour profile. Very unwelcome to me.

I love the Siglo range, however. Maybe I just don't get the Maduro range.

I received one via trade and seeing this post makes me most curious. I'll have to burn this one soon and report back my findings.

Great review!

Call me crazy, but I just don't get everyone's love of these cigars.

The secreto has been the best. The other 2 - not so much.

I first smoked the largest size last year - it was very very bland - near tastless.

We'll see how they smoke after some time.

----------

Brian - love the TB ashtray! :thumbs:

I had a Majico recently and really really enjoyed it. I agree with that the maduro is much better than the regular line.

I have a couple resting thanks to a generous BOTL! I think I will let them set for a while so I can really enjoy them! :thumbs:

I had a Majico recently and really really enjoyed it. I agree with that the maduro is much better than the regular line.

Who are you agreeing with? ???
I have a couple resting thanks to a generous BOTL! I think I will let them set for a while so I can really enjoy them! :thumbs:
I am enjoying all three vitolas now. I do agree with Gary in that the Secretos is smoking a little better. It's smaller and therefore "married" a little faster.

Brian

Who are you agreeing with? ???
I am enjoying all three vitolas now. I do agree with Gary in that the Secretos is smoking a little better. It's smaller and therefore "married" a little faster.

Brian

I'll start off and say this is nothing like a regular release Cohiba. They are completely different. It's been awhile since I've smoke a regular Cohiba, so my memory is a little hazy but I do know the Genios had some very different flavors that I loved.

Hmm, I guess I was agreeing with this statement. I personally liked it more...though that may not be what he meant here...

Hmm, I guess I was agreeing with this statement. I personally liked it more...though that may not be what he meant here...

I don't actually like it more than the regular line, there were just some flavors in the maduro that aren't in the regular line Cohibas that I liked.