• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Colheita Port?

MichaelPCo

I recently acquired 2 bottles of Quinta do Noval 1975 Colheita. I've been told that the term/title Colheita is similar to a Vintage description. Any input would be appreciated.

There are a few reviews you can find on the 'net. Some examples.

1975 Quinta do Noval Nacional - another first for me, I have no memory of ever having this wine before. Light pinkish-red in color, this wine had hints of prime time ripe strawberry and my neighbor mentioned carob which immediately struck home. Unfortunately some raw alcohol appeared on the nose too. What I did find charming in this wine was its elegance and seamless mouthfeel which was decadently velvety. Otherwise, I was a bit under whelmed by this light-bodied Port, that is very sweet and light on the acidity needed to support it. Nacional 1975 should be consumed sooner rather than later as I don't detect any further upside here. 88 pts. (DRINK)

1975 may be the only generally declared vintage that produced no outstanding Wines. Even the legendary Quinta do Noval Nacional was not that great in 1975, although it was ,cool and will improve with some bottle age. Cálem, Kopke, Ferreira and Noval are also very attractive.

The 1975 Vintage although quite good does not have the quality of a true Vintage. The wines are fairly light and don't have much staying power.
Ready for drinking now the majority of makers who declared should have re-considered their decision but Dow, Fonseca, Graham and Quinta do Noval need not apologies for their offerings.

This is odd, I've never seen such a disparity in pricing. Here it is £30.50 and here it is £346.63 and here it is £140.00

I believe the term Colheita has something to do with where the grape are taken. Something like an estate coffee. If my memory serves me right, it means that all of the grapes for the vintage port are taken from a single field. Could way off on this one...reaching back into my memory files for it.

cigardawg said:
I believe the term Colheita has something to do with where the grape are taken. Something like an estate coffee. If my memory serves me right, it means that all of the grapes for the vintage port are taken from a single field. Could way off on this one...reaching back into my memory files for it.
[snapback]169570[/snapback]​

CigarDawg: I believe you are right. The wine guy at work told me it's similar to a vintage, but yet not one. I asked a Portuguese friend of mean the definition of Colheita, and he says it translates into English as HARVEST. So as near as I can tell, it simply means 1975's harvest from that particular Port house.

Michael