• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Computer Printer Question

cookie_1978

A friend on mine has a 10 yr old Apple computer ( Performa 6200 CD ) - He needs a new printer - He saw one on ebay that I purchased for him - HP Deskjet 660C, but when it arrived, it was for PC based computers only. I know little about computers, and nothing about Apples - Can any of you recommend a printer that would be compatable with this system. I know, he should just pony up and get a new system, but he needs to print some "stuff" off of this system. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hmm,

Some of the old Deskjets did work with Apples, but you might have to find some sort of port changer. And then there's the driver issue. And cartridges.

Perhaps your best bet would be to look for an old Apple LaserWriter or Apple Inkjet (these were made by Canon, IIRC).

The other thing you might to is to check the list of printer drivers already installed on the Performa and see what it lists as compatible.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. My sister has a Mac II and she used to use a LaserWriter.

Wilkey

Alternatively,

Why doesn't he just burn a CD on the Performa and transfer that to another more modern Mac and bring the files up in System 9 there? If they are application files and the applications are obsoleted, then that might be a problem. But if they are standards based (GIF, JPG, PICT, RTF, etc.) he might be able to open and print them ok.

Wilkey

before throwing in the towel on that deskjet - go to Hp.com and try and download the new drivers and they might even have an apple driver available for you

The older HP printers for Apple were called "Desk Writer" they are very available, recommend the 550C which takes 2 ink boxes. Should be able to find a working model for about $50 plus shipping on Google. Other way to do it is to get one of the modern HP or Canon units and try to find drivers. Sorry, tough to find gear for old units. Still keep a HP Desk Jet 550C in case I need it. Paul

Even though you're a computer noob, HP's support might be able to walk you through the patch process. It's only a phone call - what the hell. ;)