• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

consistency

lamaida

I've noticed that there are a few stogies out there that are just consistently good in terms of flavor, and just as important, construction. There are also some stogies out there that are consistently bad. I'm starting to compile a list of consistently good and bad smokes, and I'd like to hear opinions from other smokers on this board.

Here's my list of cigars that are consistently good:

LA GLORIA CUBANA

(I've smoked boxes of these and I almost never get a plugged or unsmokable stick. The flavor is delicious, and they are a fanatastic daily smoke.)

CAO

I love all of these, especially, the "Brazilia" line. These are strong smokes with lots of character and excellent construction. Avoid the new " criollo" line, however...

PERDOMO

I don't think you can go wrong with these. My favorites are the perdomo2 and the reserve maduro.

AVO

Any type of AVO I've found to have great construction and flavor. When I started smoking cigars, these were moderately expensive, now they're priced into the stratosphere. This is a good once-in-a-while smoke.

Fuente

These are always reliable. Not at the top of my list, but a good, satisfying smoke.

PUNCH

Another good, reliable, well-constructed smoke.

Now, here's the list of cigars that I've found to be consistently bad:

BAHIA

This is a really heartbreaking smoke. Fantastic flavor, but these stogies are almost always plugged up or rolled too tight.

COHIBA

Unless it's a genuine cuban cohiba, I avoid these. The American cohibas taste like sawdust rolled in toilet paper.

Any "THOMPSON" brand cigar

You guys put it best. Thompson's house label are a bunch of "dog rockets."

DREW ESTATE

Beef up your blends guys, and hire some better rollers while you're at it. Oh, and lose that ridiculous "egg."

H UPMAN

I call this the "frat boy" stogie. Provides lots of crappy, bitter smoke.

TE AMO

A Mexican cigar. tastes like a tire fire in your mouth.

What do you guys think??

I've heard that Perdomos are inconsistent...but the Edicion de Silvio rocks!

-PAM's are dead on consistent
-Davidoff Milleniums are the same

I have been smoking bahia's for 3 years. I have never had a plugged or too tight of a roll. Always even burn w/ great ash! All shapes.

Is it possible your humidification was off a tad?

lamaida said:

LA GLORIA CUBANA

(I've smoked boxes of these and I almost never get a plugged or unsmokable stick. The flavor is delicious, and they are a fanatastic daily smoke.)
I concur 100%. Regulars (Wavell Nat and Maddy) and Serie R #5s are the most consistant smoke I've had.

And I'm still looking for others. I've tasted lots that are yummy, but can't attest to consistancy due to not smoking too many different bands before joining CP.

My $.02.

M. Gipson

lamaida said:

AVO
Any type of AVO I've found to have great construction and flavor. When I started smoking cigars, these were moderately expensive, now they're priced into the stratosphere. This is a good once-in-a-while smoke.
I just had an AVO XO Notturno Tubos (5x42) tonite. Very nice construction, slightly firm. It burned very straight, nice draw and gave a heck of alot of smoke. Its the most smoke I can remember of any cigar.

At first it was slightly smooth and creamy with a hint of spice, but towards the middle became more spicy. Towards the end it became a bit bitter, but maybe I was smoking it a bit fast.

Overall it was a pretty good smoke, but at the price (about $24 for a 5er), I think there is better value in some ISOM's RASCC or Monty #4.

Great list lamadia :thumbs:

I might add the Honduran:

Hoyo de Monterrey/Excalibur
El Rey del Mundo

to your list.

And I definately agree with your "bad consistency list" ;) and here's one to add:

Don Diego, every one I've ever had is plugged so bad, I toss 'em out the window :p

Oh and WELCOME TO CP lamadia :thumbs:

I love Fuentes! I haven't had a bad one yet! The best cigar around imho...... :D

Never had a bad
RA
SLR
Montie (one was plugged)
Cohiba
Boli
SC
SP
QdO

umm all the above are of the not so legal variety of course.

Horse said:
Never had a bad
RA
SLR
Montie (one was plugged)
Cohiba
Boli
SC
SP
QdO

umm all the above are of the not so legal variety of course.
That goes without saying ;) I concur with Horse and can add:

VR (only had one DA plugged once)
Quintero (MM talk about consistency :thumbs: )
Juan Lopez
H. Upmann
Punch

I hope it goes without saying..but for newb's that are clueless, this is what has turned me to the 'darkside'.... able to smoke a $4 cigar down to the hemostats without having to shop all over the country for msrp because of marketing hype. :)

In terms of draw and construction, every Padron '64 or '26 I've smoked has been near perfect. The anniversary lines rank the highest in my experience.

Cup

Horse said:
I hope it goes without saying..but for newb's that are clueless, this is what has turned me to the 'darkside'.... able to smoke a $4 cigar down to the hemostats without having to shop all over the country for msrp because of marketing hype. :)
AND, not have the darn thing be plugged or plagued with burn problems.

I have experienced burn problems with PAM 26's, PAM 64's, Opus and DC Maximus but seldom if ever do I see this with Havanas. The burn problems are usually due to stems and I tell ya, there are two things I absolutely despise and those are:

Plugged cigars
Uneven burn caused by stems

I keep reading good things about Perdomo. I have had a couple of the P2 Ecuacion MADURO cigars and they didn't taste the same at all. One was underfilled and underflavored, the second had poor draw and was harsh and acrid. I have 2 more out of the fiver that I had decided to give to my Father-In-Law as he liked one that I gave him. But I trust CC and if he says they are consistant it is worth trying another.

A very cheap cigar that has been consistant over the years is La Finca. Joke if you feel the need but I have had no suprises from them. The taste, burn, and nasty aroma is the same cigar after cigar.

I have recently been very pleased with the consisitancy of FdO Shapes series. They have a small figurado they call a perfecto (but it isn't since it has a nipple foot instead of closed) and two other figurados similar in shape to Onxy's Torbusto. I picked up a bundle at the local cigar shop today, since I haven't yet found an online dealer who has a better price ($36/20 the perfecto, $27/20 the small figurado, $36/20 the figurado). I am probably going to snag another bundle after I have sampled a couple of these - and then let them age.

Matt

Fuente's never disappoint me :thumbs: Now I just wish I could get all that smoke that the cubans let off into the NC :sign:

lamaida said:
PERDOMO

I don't think you can go wrong with these. My favorites are the perdomo2 and the reserve maduro.
I can't agree with you on this one. On more than one occasion I have been let down by Perdomo smokes. The Perdomo2 has had me all blue faced from being plugged up (again, on more than one occasion).

I've found good consistency and reliability in the Ashton line..(Cabinet #7 favorite)
However I have to agree with some of the guys posts, you can find many good consistant domestics out there however, for high %'s of reliability....VIVA Habanos!!! :thumbs:

That's my dos centavos.

-Andre

Avoid the new " criollo" line, however...

Am I the only person that likes these? Makes sence in a way though, they are the only CAO that I like.

H UPMAN

I call this the "frat boy" stogie. Provides lots of crappy, bitter smoke.

I've been trying to figure out how to describe Upmans. You've nailed in on the head.

TE AMO

A Mexican cigar. tastes like a tire fire in your mouth.

LOL! That's the best. Thanks for the reviews.

Nic