• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooler-dor for the Newb

AdriftPanda

So after a few weeks of trying to decided if I should go with a vinotemp type set-up or go with a large humidor, I decided to go with the cooler'dor in the mean time. I have read the Cooler'dor 101 but it didn't answer all of my questions, so I figured I would ask some of you guys. So my questions...

1. If my cooler is new, just bought from the store. Would I need to prep the cooler still? As far bleaching and using baking soda? I thought that it only applied to used coolers. Can I just wash the cooler out with some water or distilled water?

2. I've noticed some people used zip lock bags for their loose sticks. Do you guys zip the bags or leave them open?

Sorry if something like this was already posted but I just couldn't find it. Thanks in advance everyone.

Yes. You want to get all smells, including the plastic smell out of it. I put scolding hot water along with 1/4 cup of bleach and let it sit over night, then let it sit in the sun the next day. This really opens the plastic on the molecular level and allows out the prominent scents. After that day it still smelled slightly so I went to the baking soda, in a large plate over night again, and that pretty much did it. Then I gorilla glued some shelving brackets (which I ran out of room for in my cooler) so I had to do a little more baking soda. But the point of the process is to get rid of *any scents. But if you can't smell anything like it is, then I guess you're in the clear. I would go ahead and do it anyway, because like many have stated on here before, there is alot of money sitting in those things, so it doesn't hurt to do a little overkill on these kind've projects. As far as the bags go, I let mine open because air is best for them to age in, but it probably doesn't matter, as I ovethink things way to often.

I hope this helps,
Will-

Hey thanks a lot Will. Yeah that definitely helped. I can't tell if the cooler smells or not to be honest, I really can't smell anything. But I guess just to be on the safe side. Should I fill the entire cooler up?

I did, and make it Nonscented bleach. I'm glad I checked this once more before trying to go to sleep so I could catch that mistake. I don't know if scented bleach makes a difference, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I'm glad I could help man and good luck on you coolidor.

Will-

Good choice going with a cooler. I had one in college and it worked great with little attention. Go bigger than you think you'll need!!

Post some pictures when you get it going.

Update update, here are the pics. I just got done with this a few minutes ago. A little PG 13 by the way...

Sorting out the mess
photo15.jpg

Almost done...
photo17.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo12.jpg

Sitting nice and quiet
photo10.jpg