• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

could use a little help.

Ok, update. I decided to go to the source and check to see if 1 pack was enough. Watched some videos, and apparently, I misinterpreted what I read. I need one pack for every 25 cigars my humidor could potentially hold. So I'm short one. Getting another one and placing it in monday. Im mot in a hurry to get this done. The cigar shop will hold the cigars until it's ready. Im more interested in doing it right. And now gentlemen, I'm going to get back to this incredible nub I've started. Thanks for all the help!! Im certain ill be on again soon enough with some more questions. Until then, ill be smoking one for ya!

another update. put the second boveda pack in almost a week ago and the humidity started going up, got to about 63%, then went back down to 60. im getting nervous now because i won some auctions on cigar bid, and they are on the way. im going to set up a tuperdor, and hope the humidity goes up soon here. i have two 84% packs in now, and two 69% packs waiting. i ordered a new hygrometer in hoping that thats the problem. the humidor came with the one thats in now, and it seemed to work ok when i checked it. any suggestions? i like this humidor, and downt want to replace it if i dont have to. thanks for any help i can get here.

tlojak41 said:
another update. put the second boveda pack in almost a week ago and the humidity started going up, got to about 63%, then went back down to 60. im getting nervous now because i won some auctions on cigar bid, and they are on the way. im going to set up a tuperdor, and hope the humidity goes up soon here. i have two 84% packs in now, and two 69% packs waiting. i ordered a new hygrometer in hoping that thats the problem. the humidor came with the one thats in now, and it seemed to work ok when i checked it. any suggestions? i like this humidor, and downt want to replace it if i dont have to. thanks for any help i can get here.

Did you order a digital or analog hygrometer?
From what I've read the analog ones are pretty useless.

digital. i have an analog one, and i calibrated it and it seemed to do alright. i guess im going to have to do some seal tests also. 

tlojak41 said:
digital. i have an analog one, and i calibrated it and it seemed to do alright. i guess im going to have to do some seal tests also. 
i did some tests i read about on here. dropped the lid from a couple inches up, got a good "swoosh" sound. also, did the dollar bill test, and while it wasnt pulling the humidor, (and i wouldnt expect it to at 12 lbs) it had good resistance, so im thinking it has a good seal. now that being said, if i want to sure up the seal and be for 100% positive its got a really good seal, any suggestions on how to do that? i am a believer in over kill. in some of my other hobbies, its helped me shorten the length of time in figuring out problems, lol. thanks!

tlojak41 said:

Most likely answer to what's not right.

Get a digital hygrometer and see what it reads. I'm able to use one 68% pack for all my cigars in my desktop humidor.

the analog hygrometers i have came with the humidor. at one point i got nervous, and added the two humidifiers that came with it, and the hygrometer did raise to about 69%, but i removed them when i got the second boveda pack. thats when it went down to about 61% and never recovered.

You should get a digital hygrometer. You also might need a few cigars in there.

Sounds like your seal is adequate. There is a school of thought that a just short of air tight is better. Allows air exchange helping to prevent mold. So a swoosh and good resistance on the bill tests would make me confident it was fine. Give the packs their 2 weeks, and then check humidity. Stop peeking.... ;) If you add a bowl of water now, the bovedas will pull in anything over their set humidity (84 or 85, I forget). Do it, or a sponge on a small plate. Should be rocking real soon. The idea of this long but sure fire method lets the wood truly and deeply soak in the moisture.  

ok, so im convinced my hygrometer is wrong. so after all but two weeks with the 84% boveda packs in and a couple days of the paradygm humidifier in, the cedar has changed color completely, and has been darker for a while now, i took everything but the paradygm out and placed the 69% boveda packs in this morning to try to level the RH down to where it should be. I did this because my new nubs showed up this afternoon. they showed up about 2 days sooner than i thought they would. turns out cigar bid is in bethleham pa, not that far from me. it only took 2 days to get here. i left them in the box and plastic wrap until this evening. i then took them out of their bulk wrap, and individual wrap and placed them in the humidor. did i do this too soon? I hope not because im smoking one of the double maduros right now and WOW!! what a good smoke. I would hate to ruin them because there is too much RH in there for them right now. I also have 20 more showing up in about 3 days as i have won an auction on 2 lots of 10 dominican samplers. i hope its ready!!!

Don't overthink this. Get a digital hygrometer on amazon and you'll be good to go. Enjoy.

tlojak41 said:

So do you a have digital one or not? I'm a bit confused. If not, absolutely follow the advise here and get a digital one for about $20.

i have a digital on the way. should be here in a day or two. but no one has answered my question. should i get my sticks out of there and into a tupperware bowl, or will they be ok in the humidor?

tlojak41 said:
i have a digital on the way. should be here in a day or two. but no one has answered my question. should i get my sticks out of there and into a tupperware bowl, or will they be ok in the humidor?

You shouldn't have any cigars in there until you know that everything is where it needs to be! If your analog hygrometer is wrong, and your humidity is in fact 84% as you stated having 2 boveda packs in there, you will get mold!

Until you have a calibrated hygrometer inside the humidor for AT LEAST 24 hours and it shows the humidity you are looking for, do not put your cigars in the humidor. Keep them in tupperware or a giant ziploc with the boveda 69 packs. Otherwise you have no idea what humidity your cigars are being stored.

Bovedas are constant (as long as they are not dried out).  You can believe in them if in a controlled environment.  Don't make yourself be in a hurry.  A well seasoned humidor is a wonderful thing.