• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CP Outtakes with Moki

Toaster said:
There's no glory for virus writers making MAC viruses... They'd only infect like 17 people. :p :D

And oh yeah!--- The mac is the platform people think of for great gaming! :lookup: :p
The point is simply that most games are available for the Mac as well.

As for viruses, sure, obscurity does help (though there are millions of Macs out there) -- but so does have a Unix core. Whatever the reason, I get to sit back and relax when a new virus comes out, and I never had to deal with adware/spyware. That's a nice piece of mind to enjoy. :)

moki said:
Toaster said:
There's no glory for virus writers making MAC viruses... They'd only infect like 17 people. :p :D

And oh yeah!--- The mac is the platform people think of for great gaming!  :lookup:  :p
The point is simply that most games are available for the Mac as well.

As for viruses, sure, obscurity does help (though there are millions of Macs out there) -- but so does have a Unix core. Whatever the reason, I get to sit back and relax when a new virus comes out, and I never had to deal with adware/spyware. That's a nice piece of mind to enjoy. :)
No viruses yet - but Macs are becoming a target of the entry level folks: Entry-Level Trojan (well - not really a "trojan" - but aspiring trojan?.

This is amusing. It is simply a packaged piece of malware - which looks like an installer (just by the name) for the new Mac version of MS Word. When you install it - it simply goes to town on your machine (variants have been reported, but at least one of them simply starts deleting your hard drive). Just a simple shell script, I believe...

Very old school - it is very similar to the first generation of malware that targeted various OS's years ago. A local university is invested with it (they can't get the students to stop downloading the supposed pirate version of Word). Irony on so many levels...

Can't call the above a virus at all or even say it exploits a weakness of the Mac (it doesn't) - as it basically just exploits idiots... ;) Still - to my knowledge - I haven't even seen this entry-level type of malware for the Mac yet (not that I'd know - I'm not a Mac user - but started paying attention after OSX because I am a FreeBSD user), so it marks a beginning of some sort.

Cheers,

- Oak

oak said:
This is amusing. It is simply a packaged piece of malware - which looks like an installer (just by the name) for the new Mac version of MS Word. When you install it - it simply goes to town on your machine (variants have been reported, but at least one of them simply starts deleting your hard drive). Just a simple shell script, I believe...
Yeah, it's a joke, really -- the thing is, because of the permissions in place, the most any malware can do is hammer someone's home directory.

I agree tho, this little script is so rank amateur it's funny. ;)

Great job Emo........

Andrew is a very complex guy so I think the 5 minutes you got was pretty eye opening.

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us Moki

BenjieV ;)