• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CP's "Cigar 101" Newbie Pass 4

edit to remove quoted images

above the list of name i see two boxes that say the images have been removed or deleted fro photo bucket

Andy Contacted me and asked If I was ready, I told him I am Ready whenever his puts and takes get accepted.

PS. Andy is going to hand deliver the cigars to me since we live pretty close to each other, does anyone have any objections to that? Let me know.

David

I will post now since I have been given the Green Light.
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif

I am taking

1) Take - Diamond Crown Maximus Pyramid #3
2) Take - Don Pepin Black Lancero
3) Take - Padron 1926 No.2

1) Put - Diamond Crown Maduro Torpedo #7
2) Put - Ashton Vintage Cabinet #2
3) Put - Gurkha Titan

These are the MSRP, not sale prices.

Hope they meet with your approval.

1) Take - Diamond Crown Maximus Pyramid #3 MSRP $18.50
2) Take - Don Pepin Black Lancero MSRP $9.99
3) Take - Padron 1926 No.2 MSRP $18.95

1) Put - Diamond Crown Maduro Torpedo #7 MSRP $18.95
2) Put - Ashton Vintage Cabinet #2 MSRP $16.95
3) Put - Gurkha Titan MSRP $20.95

To help with understanding how MSRP was determined, how did you find the Ashton price?

I went to a few sites to see the MSRP listed by Box and divided by # of sticks. In the case of the Ashton, I found three different retail prices. I took the highest, and the lowest and a third that had retail somewhere in the middle. I added them together, and divided by three to come to the Retail to use.
(Retail $343.50/20=$17.17) and rounded down. One site that showed retail is CigarStore.com $343 box price, MyCigarStore was $385, and CI $270
Kind of a pain, but, what ever works. Now because I have seen the Ashton go retail as low as $13.50 I figured that it would work. If you all would rather, I can put a Monte White #2 Belicoso. MSRP of $12.60. I thought that you might like the Ashton better, but let me know and I will gp with what ever you want.

Most cigars have MSRP listings that can be found on google.

sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif

I am taking

3) Put - Gurkha Titan

2) Put - Don Pepin Garcia JJ Belicoso MSRP $8.95

To help with understanding how MSRP was determined, how did you find the Ashton price?

I went to a few sites to see the MSRP listed by Box and divided by # of sticks. In the case of the Ashton, I found three different retail prices. I took the highest, and the lowest and a third that had retail somewhere in the middle. I added them together, and divided by three to come to the Retail to use.
(Retail $343.50/20=$17.17) and rounded down. One site that showed retail is CigarStore.com $343 box price, MyCigarStore was $385, and CI $270
Kind of a pain, but, what ever works. Now because I have seen the Ashton go retail as low as $13.50 I figured that it would work. If you all would rather, I can put a Monte White #2 Belicoso. MSRP of $12.60. I thought that you might like the Ashton better, but let me know and I will gp with what ever you want.

Most cigars have MSRP listings that can be found on Google.

Here we go. I have an idea. I will withdraw the Ashton and use put in a Pepin JJ Belicoso MSRP $8.98. That is within $1. That will cure the situation. Takes $47.44 Puts $$48.95 a difference of $1.41.

I do want to thank you all for a very spirited post. I know that this is what Greg was trying to accomplish. Remember that, once again, this is a learning pass. I commend you all for GREAT comments. PLEASE remember and learn from this test... I guess we should call it an exam. LMAO
starwars.gif

Thanks for the experience Greg.

I hope that everyone will take into account that although we are not trying to escalate the value of the pass, that not everyone will be able to exactly match the value of the take with a put and would rather be a little protective with their rep in the put I'd be more of an advocate of the idea that the cumalitive value match to allow some leeway.

Well, at least we now know that we have a huge influx of members up the Northeast!

Cant wait for it to hit me!

sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif

I am taking

3) Put - Gurkha Titan

Here we go. I have an idea. I will withdraw the Ashton and use put in a Pepin JJ Belicoso MSRP $8.98. That is within $1. That will cure the situation. Takes $47.44 Puts $$48.95 a difference of $1.41.

I do want to thank you all for a very spirited post. I know that this is what Greg was trying to accomplish. Remember that, once again, this is a learning pass. I commend you all for GREAT comments. PLEASE remember and learn from this test... I guess we should call it an exam. LMAO
starwars.gif

Alright class, I'm going to go over in detail what I did to come up with the value for each T/P.

The Padron and Gurkha T/P

I start with the Padron. Going by Cyclopedia alone I find the average MSRP $18.09 (Best Cigar $490 and Famous $384 added together for a total of $874 divided by 2 then divide by the #cigars in the box). If there's only two or three prices listed, I'll go do a little research on different sites to gather more information. Here's what I found:

$384.00 Holts
$384.00 Famous
$379.00 Tex Cigars
$384.00 Silo Cigars

I went ahead and tossed the $490 cost from Best Cigar and just used the four listed above and came up with $15.95, which eh...sounds about right. Now on to the Gurkha, which I've heard of it but have no inkling what it is. On Cyclopedia there's one price of $620 for a 31ct, which puts the price at $20. I of course head out to the net and check several sites. Here's what I found:

$518.00 The Cigar Store
$533.65 Phoenix Cigar Co
$489.99 Tex Cigars
$479.99 Only The Best Cigars

Now Serious Cigars had them at $600 a box as well, however I tossed it as well as the $620 listed on Cyclopedia, just as I took out the $490 box of Padron. I used the four listed above and came up with a price of $13.04 ea. I also need to mention, although it's not being put into the equation here, that Gurkha Titans have ridiculously high MSRP by the box, however you can buy 5 pack after 5 pack for around $20 at any given time on a certain site.

The DP and Ashton T/P

That DP Lancero is from the set, which I found several available at different sites, came to a price around $9 per cigar. I believe I'm correct when I say that the Ashton Vintage Cabinet is the same cigar as the Ashton Aged Cabinet, both one in the same. If I have this wrong, please let me know. I look on Cyclopedia and show eight different vendors' pricing, which is more than enough for me to not go searching around the net. Using the prices on Cyclopedia, I came to an avg MSRP of $11.89, which still works out for the DP Lancero. Again, maybe we're looking at two different cigars? I also wanted to mention, if this is the Ashton Aged Cabinet on Cyclopedia, then there is only going to be about $3 difference in the trade.

The DCM #3 and DC #7

Again, there were more than enough vendor's prices listed on Cyclopedia to come up with the price ea. on these two. I got the DCM #3 at $13.55 and the DC #7 at $15.44.

So, having said all that, the only one I don't agree with is the Padron and Gurkha trade. The other two are good. Also for future reference, each T/P must be equal or better and does not have an effect on the other T/P's.

Okay! What questions, comments, concerns are there? Let's discuss!

Thanks for making that alittle clearer Greg. The one thing that threw me was the $659 for 15 from Best (that $44 a stick). I think that one is probably a misprint and they meant for a box of 31 there, although I couldnt verify the price on their website. As you look alttle farther down the list I see a box of 31 for $620 from Bonita.

My last question is, after we are done with our T/P's are we allowed to throw any additional Put's into the Pass to sweeten it up and send it off better than it arrived or is this a straight T/P Pass..>>??? I know that in some of the other passes I watched folks sometimes throw a couple extra's in.

Art

Thanks for making that alittle clearer Greg. The one thing that threw me was the $659 for 15 from Best (that $44 a stick). I think that one is probably a misprint and they meant for a box of 31 there, although I couldnt verify the price on their website. As you look alttle farther down the list I see a box of 31 for $620 from Bonita.

My last question is, after we are done with our T/P's are we allowed to throw any additional Put's into the Pass to sweeten it up and send it off better than it arrived or is this a straight T/P Pass..>>??? I know that in some of the other passes I watched folks sometimes throw a couple extra's in.

Art

Extra Puts are fine, as long as everyone understands there is no obligation whatsoever to do so.

I just read the PO is closed tomorrow, so looks like I'll be shipping this out Tuesday.

<snippage>

I also need to mention, although it's not being put into the equation here, that Gurkha Titans have ridiculously high MSRP by the box, however you can buy 5 pack after 5 pack for around $20 at any given time on a certain site.

<more snippage>

So, having said all that, the only one I don't agree with is the Padron and Gurkha trade. The other two are good. Also for future reference, each T/P must be equal or better and does not have an effect on the other T/P's.

Just for clarification's sake, then, the SOP is average MSRP, rather than market price?

I had some concern with the Padron/Gurkha on THAT account, not having done the research you did, just because I knew that Gurkhas are frequently heavily discounted and Padron '26s almost never are. Didn't want to put my 2¢ in on THAT basis, though.

~Boar

<snippage>

I also need to mention, although it's not being put into the equation here, that Gurkha Titans have ridiculously high MSRP by the box, however you can buy 5 pack after 5 pack for around $20 at any given time on a certain site.

<more snippage>

Just for clarification's sake, then, the SOP is average MSRP, rather than market price?

I had some concern with the Padron/Gurkha on THAT account, not having done the research you did, just because I knew that Gurkhas are frequently heavily discounted and Padron '26s almost never are. Didn't want to put my 2¢ in on THAT basis, though.

~Boar

This is in the original post (at the bottom of the syllabus).

**To determine MSRP; find the cigar in the list, add all stores prices in the row, divide the total by the number of stores, divide by number of sticks on sale (use full box if available). This should give you the MSRP for each stick.

As mentioned, if there's only two or three prices listed, I'll go and do some research to find more prices. If a price is way out there I'll toss it out, however usually leave lower pricing (usually a discount sale).

Again, this is a learning pass and so far we've had some really good stuff going. I'm looking to learn more as well, in no way do I have it all figured out. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and we're just on our first T/P! :D

sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif

I am taking

3) Put - Gurkha Titan

2) Put - Ashton Vintage Cabinet #2 MSRP $16.95

Where are you getting your MSRP info from? I am not questioning it....just want it for future reference

OK, the first one seems ok to me, but the put on the second item seems too high too me. While I understand leaving the pass in better shape then it was in, taking a 10 dollar smoke and putting a 17 dollar smoke for it seems high to me. The third P and T are closer to the range I would think is considered acceptable when putting a stick in that is higher then what you are taking.

edit to add third p and t comment

I hope we are not going to get into the "what's too high". We had that discussion a few months back and it got pretty heated. I think the first concern should be "do no harm to the pass". If a guy wants or needs to but a slightly or significantly higher put than so be it. I think its fine as long as those who follow (especially in a newbie pass) don't feel pressured to one up. That's not what this is about.

sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif
sirengreen.gif

I am taking

3) Put - Gurkha Titan

starwars.gif

Alright class, I'm going to go over in detail what I did to come up with the value for each T/P.

The Padron and Gurkha T/P

I start with the Padron. Going by Cyclopedia alone I find the average MSRP $18.09 (Best Cigar $490 and Famous $384 added together for a total of $874 divided by 2 then divide by the #cigars in the box). If there's only two or three prices listed, I'll go do a little research on different sites to gather more information. Here's what I found:

$384.00 Holts
$384.00 Famous
$379.00 Tex Cigars
$384.00 Silo Cigars

I went ahead and tossed the $490 cost from Best Cigar and just used the four listed above and came up with $15.95, which eh...sounds about right. Now on to the Gurkha, which I've heard of it but have no inkling what it is. On Cyclopedia there's one price of $620 for a 31ct, which puts the price at $20. I of course head out to the net and check several sites. Here's what I found:

$518.00 The Cigar Store
$533.65 Phoenix Cigar Co
$489.99 Tex Cigars
$479.99 Only The Best Cigars

Now Serious Cigars had them at $600 a box as well, however I tossed it as well as the $620 listed on Cyclopedia, just as I took out the $490 box of Padron. I used the four listed above and came up with a price of $13.04 ea. I also need to mention, although it's not being put into the equation here, that Gurkha Titans have ridiculously high MSRP by the box, however you can buy 5 pack after 5 pack for around $20 at any given time on a certain site.

The DP and Ashton T/P

That DP Lancero is from the set, which I found several available at different sites, came to a price around $9 per cigar. I believe I'm correct when I say that the Ashton Vintage Cabinet is the same cigar as the Ashton Aged Cabinet, both one in the same. If I have this wrong, please let me know. I look on Cyclopedia and show eight different vendors' pricing, which is more than enough for me to not go searching around the net. Using the prices on Cyclopedia, I came to an avg MSRP of $11.89, which still works out for the DP Lancero. Again, maybe we're looking at two different cigars? I also wanted to mention, if this is the Ashton Aged Cabinet on Cyclopedia, then there is only going to be about $3 difference in the trade.

The DCM #3 and DC #7

Again, there were more than enough vendor's prices listed on Cyclopedia to come up with the price ea. on these two. I got the DCM #3 at $13.55 and the DC #7 at $15.44.

I used your comparison chart for the Padrons. $490 + $384 = $874 / 2 =$437 / 24 = $18.21. That is on the comparison chart
Best + Famous = $874 / 2 =$437 / 24 = $18.21. That is on the comparison chart

The 1964 came to $13 and change. But that was my calculations. The 1926 came to $18 by my calculations on the chart other passes are using.

CigarCyclopedia.com's Comparison Shopper and/or CigarCyclopedia.com's Comparison Shopper of Havana Cigars