• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cragganmore 12 yo Scotch

Nice to see 7 year old reviews still relevant :)

I wish I had the palate for scotch. I seem to be diving into the borbouns but maybe I just need to drink more scotch.

I am the same way, I love Borbouns and I found myself standing in the Scotch aisle last weekend wondering what everyone loves about scotch and if I wanted to try one for a good price what would it be.. Then I saw this. I think I will try and find a bottle this weekend.

My recommendation is to start with Balvenie Doublewood or Macallan 12. They are more straightforward, although a bourbon drinker I knew couldn't find a scotch he liked until he stumbled upon Laphroaig QC. Go figure

My recommendation is to start with Balvenie Doublewood or Macallan 12. They are more straightforward, although a bourbon drinker I knew couldn't find a scotch he liked until he stumbled upon Laphroaig QC. Go figure

I actually now have a bottle of each and plan on doing a side by side tasting. I think on the 12yo's, the Balvenie will win out even though the Mac is good. Looking forward to seeing :laugh:

Ok on the couch with macallan 12, it's very different than bourbon that's for sure, I think I need to chill it a little to get all the flavors but so far it's not terrible

-edit.
Ok chilled I like it much more. I can see myself drinking this

I actually now have a bottle of each and plan on doing a side by side tasting. I think on the 12yo's, the Balvenie will win out even though the Mac is good. Looking forward to seeing :laugh:

So which won out...the Bal or Mac?

<threadjack on>
The Bal, for me, was more mellow, with a bit more oak flavor. The Mac was sweeter and the nose was really fruity. I'm not sure what the AVB comparison is but the Mac seemed to have a bit more burn going down. I still favor the Bal but I think I need to continue sampling to make sure :rolleyes:
<threadjack off>

The Cragganmore description interests me because it seems so different from Bal and Mac. I'm curious about how the honey and smoke flavors stand up versus the Macallan. Might have to pick up a bottle this weekend.

<threadjack on>
The Bal, for me, was more mellow, with a bit more oak flavor. The Mac was sweeter and the nose was really fruity. I'm not sure what the AVB comparison is but the Mac seemed to have a bit more burn going down. I still favor the Bal but I think I need to continue sampling to make sure :rolleyes:
<threadjack off>

The Cragganmore description interests me because it seems so different from Bal and Mac. I'm curious about how the honey and smoke flavors stand up versus the Macallan. Might have to pick up a bottle this weekend.

Thanks for the update. I picked up a bottle of the Bal Doublewood last night. I'm going to try a little comparison myself.

I haven't hit my bottle of Balvenie DW in years but love the Cragganmore 12. I need to revisit the double wood. So much scotch, so little time...