• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban coffee

I've just been using a local coffee shop's espresso roast for my cafe and it is fantastic. Maybe when I run out of that I'll try some of these other brands you guys are talking about.

Thanks for the new addiction MC!! :blush:

OK MC & Tone-NY, here's what I did for lunch.

Brewed a pot of coffee in my little Bialetti and slowly heated the milk to ~ 150 deg F. I put the 3 cups on a warming plate (1 Esprecco & 2 Cuppucino) while that was happening. I was amazed at how thick the milk got while heating & stirring (it was only 1% milk too, gotta try it with whole milk).

I poured the milk into the cups and topped off with coffee, and finished the coffee into the Esprecco cup, and down the hatch with that one as a start. I put 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in one cup, stirred it and relaxed with the pipe. Nice, thick, but a little too sweet for me. Still a very pleasant drink though. Next one I stirred and drank without sugar. Same thickness, nice colour & flavour, but could have used a bit of suger.

All in all, very nice and I can see how they'd prefer it as a breakfast drink. It's very VERY rich though (even with 1% milk) and I couldn't drink too many of 'em a day, maybe one or two.

Thanks for the hints there guys, really appreciate it. Gonna make one for my daughter after work, see how she likes 'em.

OK MC & Tone-NY, here's what I did for lunch.

Brewed a pot of coffee in my little Bialetti and slowly heated the milk to ~ 150 deg F. I put the 3 cups on a warming plate (1 Esprecco & 2 Cuppucino) while that was happening. I was amazed at how thick the milk got while heating & stirring (it was only 1% milk too, gotta try it with whole milk).

I poured the milk into the cups and topped off with coffee, and finished the coffee into the Esprecco cup, and down the hatch with that one as a start. I put 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in one cup, stirred it and relaxed with the pipe. Nice, thick, but a little too sweet for me. Still a very pleasant drink though. Next one I stirred and drank without sugar. Same thickness, nice colour & flavour, but could have used a bit of suger.

All in all, very nice and I can see how they'd prefer it as a breakfast drink. It's very VERY rich though (even with 1% milk) and I couldn't drink too many of 'em a day, maybe one or two.

Thanks for the hints there guys, really appreciate it. Gonna make one for my daughter after work, see how she likes 'em.

Glad you enjoyed it! :thumbs:

It's really a try-it-and-see kind of deal with how much of a mixture you use to suit your palate. If you need a bit more sugar, it's always better to add like another teaspoon or so to the sugar-paste-mixture used in the pyrex cup. Then, when you pour in that little amount of cafe and mix it up, it all gets mixed into the paste. Then, you don't have to add sugar to the cafe con leche itself which usually always makes it too sweet.

I always pretty much use 2% milk. Sometimes, when abuela or my mother in law makes it, they use whole. But, once you get that mastered, try using evaporated milk. That's the makings for a cortadito and is truly a concoction to behold.

Great to hear that your experiment went well. Typically it is a drink to start the day or finish a meal off. But as they say YMMV, I'll be in NY tomorrow so cafe con leche is on the agenda in one of the local establishments in the Bronx.

Abuela, what a nice name for a mother-in-law. I call mine, La Vecchia.

Doc.

Great to hear that your experiment went well. Typically it is a drink to start the day or finish a meal off. But as they say YMMV, I'll be in NY tomorrow so cafe con leche is on the agenda in one of the local establishments in the Bronx.

This is absolutely true. Usually my cafe con leche is a breakfast only deal. For meal time finishers, I usually opt for un cafecito (a little cafe...the kind in those small, small plastic cups). Late in the evening sometimes, especially when it's "cold" here in Miami, I'll head over to Calle Ocho for a cortadito and some delicious, fresh out of the frier churros. This mixture is truly magical, and is simply fantastic consumed with un tobaco, while playing dominoes. Las Palmas has some of the best churros in all of South Florida, even better than those you can (only sometimes) get at Versailles or La Carreta.

Abuela, what a nice name for a mother-in-law. I call mine, La Vecchia.

Doc.

:D
Actually Doc, to be precise, in this case "Abuela" and my mother in law are two different people. Abuela in this case is my wife's grandmother, as mine are long-since passed on.

This is absolutely true. Usually my cafe con leche is a breakfast only deal. For meal time finishers, I usually opt for un cafecito (a little cafe...the kind in those small, small plastic cups). Late in the evening sometimes, especially when it's "cold" here in Miami, I'll head over to Calle Ocho for a cortadito and some delicious, fresh out of the frier churros. This mixture is truly magical, and is simply fantastic consumed with un tobaco, while playing dominoes. Las Palmas has some of the best churros in all of South Florida, even better than those you can (only sometimes) get at Versailles or La Carreta.

I'll be making my first trip to Miami in April to go on a cruise to celebrate my brothers 60th birthday and I'm looking forward to go to Calle Ocho. Unfortunately I'll only be there one day :(

I'll be making my first trip to Miami in April to go on a cruise to celebrate my brothers 60th birthday and I'm looking forward to go to Calle Ocho. Unfortunately I'll only be there one day :(

Damn brother, that stinks. Well, the one day part that is. So many places to hit. But, if you get to Calle Ocho/Little Havana, at least make sure to stop by Pepin's place. Versailles is always great too, but that really is not in Little Havana per se, though it is on Calle Ocho and roughly 37th (Douglas).

Let me know when you're in town. I might be around. ;)

Okay MC ....... I just ordered a stovetop stainless steel espresso maker, all this tallk has got me craving a cafe. Thanks for the recipes as I've been meaning to look this information up for a while now ...... sounds great paired with a good cigar :thumbs:

:cool:

Okay MC ....... I just ordered a stovetop stainless steel espresso maker, all this tallk has got me craving a cafe. Thanks for the recipes as I've been meaning to look this information up for a while now ...... sounds great paired with a good cigar :thumbs:

:D

Glad I could help brother.
And, it is so damn fine paired with a good cigar.

That is a great site Big Stick. I was trying to overcomplicate it thinking "it can't be that simple". I'll definately have to pick up some cane sugar and one of the cookbooks from Three Guys in Miami.

I mistakenly took the undissolved sugar as an indication that I was doing something wrong. If that is the result in Honduras then it can't be bad in my kitchen.

Those guys are great, very nice. You can't go wrong with their cookbooks.

Never had to look up a recipie for cafe/cortadito/collado/cafe con leche/etc., but it's pretty straightforward. Get a stove top maker for it. Should be stainless steel, but can be aluminum. Fill the bottom with water up to the valve/release on the side of the maker. Then put in the insert and fill it, packing it fairly tightly, but not too tightly, with coffee. Any coffee will work, but some tastes way better than others. I generally use Baby's or Illy, but I also use La Llave, Bustelo, Pilon, etc. All is good. I've even ground up 8 o'clock to an espresso grind and used it (very good too).

You then put the top of the maker on, screw it on tight. Put it on the stove, with the lid up.

Then, you add your sugar to a separate, 2-cup pyrex type thing. How much sugar all depends on the size of your maker, but with my 6 cup maker, I put about 5 spoons of sugar (white) into the pyrex cup. Watch the coffee pot now. When it first starts to put out coffee, close the lid, take it off the burner and pour some of the coffee on the sugar. Just a small amount, like about two teaspooons. Put the coffee maker back on the stove and let it finish brewing.

Mix up the sugar and coffee mix you have in the pyrex. It might not look like enough to form a mix, but keep mixing it up. If you need more coffee, add it. But just mix it up until it forms a tannish-colored light paste. You scoop it up with your spoon and tilt it back into the pyrex, it shouldn't be too runny. It almost looks like frosting.

Then look back at your stovetop maker. When it finishes, pour the coffee from the pot into the pyrex thing with the mixture. Stir it up, getting all the coffee to mix with the sugar mixture. You'll get a nice, thick head on the coffee in the pyrex. Pour some into a little espresso cup, then scoop a little bit of the head into the cup too. Then enjoy.

After you get that mastered, you can start trying cafe con leche, cortadito, etc. It's some of the best stuff around. Enjoy brother, with a fine smoke and some tostada.

Edited to add - doing it the way referenced above, I've never had undissolved sugar in my cup. Only if I was given pure cafe, with no sugar, then tried to add it later did I get that result (usu. at restaurants that don't know any better).

I finally made some this afternoon with the new pot and following this recipe ...... :0

Awesome stuff, great with a CoRo, but after drinking a pot by myself I don't I'll be sleeping for at least 24 hours :laugh:

Thanks again Hermano

I drink Cubita coffee that I grind to a turkish grind and just make it in my Capresso Coffee Pot. I add a little half & half and 1/2 a packet of sugar to a good size cup and I am good to go. I do not like coffee that is too sweet or too milky. But I really love this Cubita brand coffee. :thumbs:

I drink Cubita coffee that I grind to a turkish grind and just make it in my Capresso Coffee Pot. I add a little half & half and 1/2 a packet of sugar to a good size cup and I am good to go. I do not like coffee that is too sweet or too milky. But I really love this Cubita brand coffee. :thumbs:

Ditto

I lived in honduras for 4 months during mission work and got hooked on the coffee (Cafe Copan was the name). I didn't put anything in mine, just good ole black coffee. I always thought it was odd that they added so much sugar to their coffee it tasted like syrup. They thought I was CRAZY for drinking it black. I never knew it was a local way to drinkn coffee until now.

If you are looking for something different give "Cafe Copan" a whirl.