• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban crops wiped out - fakes rampant....?

If this has been going on for years, are they really "fake"? Sure, the tobacco may not be 100% Cuban, but I don't think the word fake is appropriate.

The OP wasn't a reference to the blending in of NC or DR tobacco as Gary alluded to. Really re-defines the meaning of a "Cuban Cigar" though, doesn't it....??

It does. Is this, maybe, part of the reason Andrew's taste tests are so successful, from his point of view?

No. Those were successful because Phil doesn't know what a good cigar is supposed to taste like. No offense.

If this has been going on for years, are they really "fake"? Sure, the tobacco may not be 100% Cuban, but I don't think the word fake is appropriate.

The OP wasn't a reference to the blending in of NC or DR tobacco as Gary alluded to. Really re-defines the meaning of a "Cuban Cigar" though, doesn't it....??

It does. Is this, maybe, part of the reason Andrew's taste tests are so successful, from his point of view?

OTOH, ....sorta like buying a bottle of French wine, and finding out the grapes came from California. I'd call it a fake.... ;) JMHO, etc.....

OTOH, ....sorta like buying a bottle of French wine, and finding out the grapes came from California. I'd call it a fake.... ;) JMHO, etc.....

I agree and stand corrected Tom. If this 'dirty little family secret' is ever made public and confirmed as true...fake, yes....counterfeit, no.

None of this can be true if those Experts tasters at CA didn't say so. If they can taste 7 yr aged madagascar Vanilla, French Peanuts, and Ethiopian Yirghaffe, I would think that they could identify Nicaraguan Tobacco in a Cuban Cigar.

:rolleyes: :laugh:

:sign:

None of this can be true if those Experts tasters at CA didn't say so. If they can taste 7 yr aged madagascar Vanilla, French Peanuts, and Ethiopian Yirghaffe, I would think that they could identify Nicaraguan Tobacco in a Cuban Cigar.

:rolleyes: :laugh:

:sign:

Lmao!

As funny as that is, the more I think about it the more I'm wondering if that actually IS possible? Good one Dan.

I don't know, Dave. I have not had any current runs of CCs. Probably 2008 is as recent a production year. I like to think I could pick a Cuban from a Nic, from a Dom, but have never had the opportunity to give it a go. I base that on familiarity with what I have smoked, and knowing that it tastes the same or different from the last box.
They all have certain attributes that seem to stand out to my palate. Again, this is supposition. Would be a fun exercise though.

One thing that would be interesting is to see when the rumors of Nic baccy in Cubans started, as I have heard it for years. Then I would see when Pepin left Cuba, bqacause his story is that he had never tasted Nic baccy, and he was quite surprised how good it was when introduced. Not to say it has any bearing on this current topic, but interesting nonetheless.

Very true! Have to admit that I was fooled into thinking I was smoking a Cuban Cigar that turned out to be Dominican

I have tried to find credible news articles that verify what this guy is claiming and found none. I even searched the AP guy that refrences and while I did find many stories about the storm I found nothing on the tobacco crops being damaged. I have a hard time believing this is possible in the first place. Hurricanes are not new to Cuba.

I guess until someone can find a more credible source we might want to be skeptical on this one.

I have it from reliable sources in the industry that the folks on the island have been buying NC tobacco for years. Only real question is to what magnitude this is occurring.......IMHO.

They should import some of the rollers also. Get the ones from Nicaragua - they seem to have a better feel!