• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cure for hot spicy food

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
What do you use to stop the pain when you eat something too hot?

Yesterday I drank a couple Chimay magnums, smoked a nicely aged 1958 Preembargo Cuban Counterfiet and a AF Hemi Sig, and watched Mythbusters for a few hours. They did a bit about cures for hot food and they failed to even mention the one I consider the best.....orange juice.

The show was comical because Grant and Tory ate some hot shit and then tried different potential cures. Grant can't eat hot food and was suffering big time...............it was classic! They tried whole milk as the defacto standard and then compared these things against the milk:
Water
Beer
Tequila
Toothpaste
Wasabi paste
Vasoline (wrong end :laugh: )

But they didn't try OJ! The pleasure unit and I used to go to an authentic Southwestern restaurant and the owner convinced me that OJ was the best cure. Apparently the acid in citrus reduces the burn from the infamous scoville unit burn!

What do you use?

Tums. However, I have enough trouble frying my mouth with cigars. I'm not about to do it with food.

Sugar bro. A heaped teaspoon will take the burn away.

Liquids can make the burn sensation worse as they lift the chili oils and allow them to move around your mouth.

Anythink high in sugar will work. Also, the acid from OJ or, my preferance, lemonade will cut the oils that hold the capsacin (sp?) to your tongue.

Dairy products neutralize the high acid oils, cheese with a piece of fruit try that.

If you don't like the heat, why eat spicy food? Prove how tough you are? I've seen it, real dumb.

Doc.

Yoghurt. Still a dairy product but better for some reason.

Also water has to be the worst.

If you don't like the heat, why eat spicy food? Prove how tough you are? I've seen it, real dumb.

Doc.

Now come on Doc! I love the taste of some hot food! If I have to put up with a little heat then sobeit. Don't tell me you never did anything in which you knew the result might hurt ;)

This is from my blog:

"'Heat' determination is done using the Scoville Organoleptic Test which indicates the amount of capsaicin present. Capsaicin makes your body to strange things like fire off the nerve endings in your skin causing one to perspire or causes hiccups, watery eyes, increased pulse, cardiac arrest, and other fun things. Some guy in 1912, Wilbur Scoville, devised a way to measure the “heat” (capsaicin) of peppers whereby “a solution of the pepper extract is diluted in sugar water until the “heat” is no longer detectable to a panel of (usually five) tasters; the degree of dilution gives its measure on the Scoville scale” thus we get a Scoville Heat Unit or SHU."

So, Jeff, that is why OJ works so well due to the sugar content.

Doc.

Last BBQ I was at a 'real man' proved his 'real manliness' by eating a whole habanero pepper. He suffered, and then a minute later he wiped something from his eye. His wife had to drive his crying 'real man' ass home. We saw him a month or so after that at another BBQ and my three year old asked him (in front of everyone, of course) if his eye was going to start crying again.

Here's to karma, and here's to three year olds (ching).

Doc.

Last BBQ I was at a 'real man' proved his 'real manliness' by eating a whole habanero pepper. He suffered, and then a minute later he wiped something from his eye. His wife had to drive his crying 'real man' ass home. We saw him a month or so after that at another BBQ and my three year old asked him (in front of everyone, of course) if his eye was going to start crying again.

Here's to karma, and here's to three year olds (ching).

Mick:

I would never eat anything just to show my manliness, but at a pig roast last labor day I was cooking a pig (go figure) and the cockhead who was helping me handed me a "chunk" of meat when I came back from the keg. It looked uhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm......kinda........fatty...........I eventually ate it and half a dozen people started laughing wildly. Turned out it was an eye! Mano-e-mano shit can get ugly sometimes!

I am with you Bruce. I tend to stay away from the overly spicey as well as heat hot foods. Burning the taste buds sucks and kills the smoking experience for me.

Tums. However, I have enough trouble frying my mouth with cigars. I'm not about to do it with food.

What's the cure for the other end? Spicy tasted buds I can handle. If it's too bad milk works for me. But then there's the next day. :(

This is from my blog:

"'Heat' determination is done using the Scoville Organoleptic Test which indicates the amount of capsaicin present. Capsaicin makes your body to strange things like fire off the nerve endings in your skin causing one to perspire or causes hiccups, watery eyes, increased pulse, cardiac arrest, and other fun things. Some guy in 1912, Wilbur Scoville, devised a way to measure the “heat” (capsaicin) of peppers whereby “a solution of the pepper extract is diluted in sugar water until the “heat” is no longer detectable to a panel of (usually five) tasters; the degree of dilution gives its measure on the Scoville scale” thus we get a Scoville Heat Unit or SHU."

So it's not the acidity in citrus?

I don't mind the burn going down, its the ring of fire that I don't like.

This is from my blog:

So it's not the acidity in citrus?

Sugar is what I have read and experienced working well.

For those experiencing the "ring of fire"................don't eat so much spicy food! Sheesh! :sign: Of course you could buy stock in Tucks Medicated as well.....hmmm?

What's the cure for the other end? Spicy tasted buds I can handle. If it's too bad milk works for me. But then there's the next day. :(

I have never tried this myself, but I am sure ice cubes would put out the fire pretty damn quick mate. :laugh: